Canopy attach advice please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Canopy attach advice please

I Really like ednpat3's homemade canopy for their 13 foot scamp but I have a burro and although I know I should just do it - I am still searching for a similar connection to their three bolts but "glued" instead of drilled. Is it a hopeless search. Do you know of something that will hold. Id rather do something like that than an awning rail. My canopy is similar to theirs but only 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3143492451.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	46171
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I Really like ednpat3's homemade canopy for their 13 foot scamp but I have a burro and although I know I should just do it - I am still searching for a similar connection to their three bolts but "glued" instead of drilled. Is it a hopeless search. Do you know of something that will hold. Id rather do something like that than an awning rail. My canopy is similar to theirs but only 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep.

Attachment 46171
If it was me, would sew a cord into one side of the awning. Attach an awning rail with 3M VHB Tape. In I've thought about doing that.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Ahh the world of canopys...I have been reading the threads and looking at canopys also. I do not like the roap and pole thing but on a small trailer that seems to be the easiest. Rails, do you think the rail attached with tape would hold up in a heay rain?
Especially if the awning is holding water. (Which it shouldn't) but sometimes does. Just curios...
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post

Attachment 46171
Beautiful Canopy!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Ahh the world of canopys...I have been reading the threads and looking at canopys also. I do not like the roap and pole thing but on a small trailer that seems to be the easiest. Rails, do you think the rail attached with tape would hold up in a heay rain?
Especially if the awning is holding water. (Which it shouldn't) but sometimes does. Just curios...
You might want to read the specifications and recommendations in link I provided.
Short answer, that tape is used in several places on air planes, including Boing air liners. Once cured you have to used piano wire to separate the two item glued together. It's really, really tough stuff. Don't be fooled by other double sticky tape.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You might want to read the specifications and recommendations in link I provided.
Short answer, that tape is used in several places on air planes, including Boing air liners. Once cured you have to used piano wire to separate the two item glued together. It's really, really tough stuff. Don't be fooled by other double sticky tape.
Thanks Byron, that sounds like a realy stong tape! I will try to find that thread... I put some of those sticky backed gutter rubber guards over my leaky windows and the tape that was on that rubber does not stick on the ends as I have wanted to curve them down. So I am interested in the tape. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Read it, thanks, where can you buy it?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Read it, thanks, where can you buy it?
Amazon sells it.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Registry
I have experience with the 4991 series, it's the gray stuff. If you Google 3M VHB 4991 I think you can find places to purchase. Amazon is always a good place to start. I think 3M has some good information on their web site. You can also look at 3M and find a local distributor. Distributors will often have a person that can really be helpful in deciding what you need, sometimes it's even a factory rep.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman

If it was me, would sew a cord into one side of the awning. Attach an awning rail with 3M VHB Tape. In I've thought about doing that.
That sounds absolutely perfect and tons better than worrying about creating screw hole leaks! Thank you so much! : )
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Sue, where did you find that gorgeous canopy??

How do you make sure you get the 3M VHB tape on straight? I can never hang my curtain rods straight the first time, lol. Sounds like once this stuff is on it better be perfect the first time.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Getting it straight is scary, but I'm thinking erasable marker. I'm another of those people that never hangs stuff once - so I'd better be positive! I've found a couple of local places that sell the tape so I'm hoping to get someone who has used it.

I made the awning, so thank you! Thank goodness for seam rippers! I sew like I hang stuff. (Sew,rip,sew,rip)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Sounds like once this stuff is on it better be perfect the first time.
That is pretty much the case Melissa. I've used it to install body kits on cars. I can tell you from first hand experience that once you apply pressure to what you are mounting, it's stuck for good! Like Byron said, break out the piano wire if you want it off.
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Your sewing looks great to me... That canopy is beautiful Sue!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #15

Washington
Registry
Thank you! Fingers crossed that I can get it hung right.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #16

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry
Thank you! Fingers crossed that I can get it hung right.
For those who want to know: I called the help line at 3m for the application of of their VHB tape. For my application, she said no. 5952 would be what I want. The tech said the rule was for each pound you need four square inches of seam tape. So the idea of a series of three bolts would not be enough coverage. The awning rail would be for my six feet wide and four feet deep awning based on my estimate of the weight - even factoring in the wind hitting it....although not serious storm. So I called around for local dealers and they did not have it in stock. I only need six feet and they sell only full packages. Expensive! I'm searching for an industry that uses it to see if they would sell me six feet. If you know of a place....
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #17

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking of putting a awning on my 13' Boler and was wonding how I would do it without the screw holes. When you say expensive! How expensive?
Marcus T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
It varied, but over $100 for one roll. That is 36 yards. I did see one on amazon this morning for 3mtm 5952 black 3/4"x15 yards 45 mil for $36.41. I'm not sure if the additional tm makes a difference. I assume it just means trademark. That would be more reasonable.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sue,

I would think if you had leftover yards you might be able to work something out with other people, for example at the Oregon Gathering in July. I would buy a chunk of it. I too was looking at the Amazon site.

Be sure to report back here and let us know how the installation goes. If I ever got the nerve to put that on my trailer I would have to use something temp first. Otherwise I would likely place it too low and the door wouldn't clear!

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #20

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Sue,

I would think if you had leftover yards you might be able to work something out with other people, for example at the Oregon Gathering in July. I would buy a chunk of it. I too was looking at the Amazon site.

Be sure to report back here and let us know how the installation goes. If I ever got the nerve to put that on my trailer I would have to use something temp first. Otherwise I would likely place it too low and the door wouldn't clear!

Nancy
I know. It sounds like a removal of an error would be awful. Very scary. I'm constructing a stand alone structure for the awning today to see if that could be an option.