Canopy for storage and camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I have done some searching here, but haven't come across an answer to my specific question. Has anyone found a canopy (probably a picnic shelter type) that could be used to cover a 13' Boler for a season and also be used as an awning alternative while camping?

It seems that a 10x10 dining canopy of sufficient height might work, but I don't know if there are bars underneath the canopy that would be too low and hit the top of the trailer. We would have the trailer parked a few feet away from the side of the house, which would shelter it from most of the wind and we would devise something to either weigh down or attach the legs.

We're just trying to keep some of the water off and maybe give us a chance to repair some leaks during the rainy season (I found at least two more in the roof today).
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've been thinking of doing that with one of the "cheap" (under $100) 10' x 10' First Ups from Wal-Mart.

There wouldn't be a lot of extra coverage front and rear (I have not taken vertical sticks to measure exactly), but it would cover the whole roof (top of roof is less than 10' long), and of course there would be extra on the sides. From what I can tell, the lowest edge of the canopy flap is about 6'3" off the ground, so the door should clear.

I think if I were going to set it up for a "winter" season, I would pound those green, flattish steel fence posts into the ground, and then hose clamp (or something) the legs of the First Up to them (or, maybe guy wires, or both).

I don't think there is anything under the top to hit the trailer, but I haven't completely checked it out yet.

This would be a relatively heavy awning to lug around for a 13-footer, so doubt I'd toss it in for just any trip (planning to make light awning for awning rail), but there might be times I would bring it along.

As a bonus, one could use pony clamps to attach a tarp to one or more sides while re-sealing windows, or etc.

Again, I haven't checked every angle yet, but I have been thinking pretty strongly about it.

Note that Wal-Mart currently shows the basic model as unavailable on their website. I called my local store and they have it. It's the beige one that was $88 all summer; now the person said it is $97.

Raya

PS: Thanks for searching. It's always nice when folks do that before posting. I always feel a bit torn when someone asks a question to which I KNOW people have spent good time responding in the recent past, and wherein I know there were great nuggets of info. Then the debate is, try to write it all up again? Ask the person to search? It's great that you took the time to check
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Registry
How about this one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...indingMethod=rr

It could lead a dual life as a trailer cover and a camping canopy/add-a-room. Seems to get good reviews. Just need to make sure about the height inside of it.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

I thought that one looked a lot less sturdy than a First Up. I also couldn't tell how low the canopy edges were.

But for me, I'm looking mostly for a sturdy shelter and while-I-work-on-the-trailer "shed," and only secondarily for a maybe-take-along item. I thought the First Up might stand up a bit better to small branches, acorns, longer-term exposure to UV, etc.

Raya
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

Registry
This one is a bit more expensive, but it also gets very good reviews for sturdiness. And you can add screened or solid sides to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-10-Foot-S...ref=pd_sbs_sg_4

Quote:
I thought that one looked a lot less sturdy than a First Up. I also couldn't tell how low the canopy edges were.

But for me, I'm looking mostly for a sturdy shelter and while-I-work-on-the-trailer "shed," and only secondarily for a maybe-take-along item. I thought the First Up might stand up a bit better to small branches, acorns, longer-term exposure to UV, etc.

Raya
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Amy, I know what you're feeling with a leaking trailer and all the rain we are having here in the Pacific NorthWET... but, remember last year's snow??? Any of these cheaper canopies are liable to collapse under a snow load... and we got plenty of heavy wet snow last year. Not saying it's going to happen this year and GAD I hope it doesn't, just trying to be helpful.

On edit: if you choose not to get a canopy but still want to protect the trailer from rain, etc. overturn a bucket on the roof and tarp the trailer down. It doesn't help with working on the leaks, but at least it will protect it from both snow and rain until the weather improves.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Having watched many EZ-ups and the like blow down at agility trials, I have to say, I don't think it would be sturdy enough. Even weighted down, the wind just mangles the shelters if it can't rip them out of the ground. Plus I don't think the clearance is there to get the trailer underneath. I have one in my very sheltered back yard to create a dry area for the dogs (I have two disabled dogs in carts) and even then I take the top off on windy days.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #8

Registry
True, true, I guess I should think about snow. But that was kind of 100-year-storm snow, right? (Right? Although it sure was fun for sledding in the street.) And we could always take it down if it seemed we were going to get that kind of build-up.

Quote:
Amy, I know what you're feeling with a leaking trailer and all the rain we are having here in the Pacific NorthWET... but, remember last year's snow??? Any of these cheaper canopies are liable to collapse under a snow load... and we got plenty of heavy wet snow last year. Not saying it's going to happen this year and GAD I hope it doesn't, just trying to be helpful.

On edit: if you choose not to get a canopy but still want to protect the trailer from rain, etc. overturn a bucket on the roof and tarp the trailer down. It doesn't help with working on the leaks, but at least it will protect it from both snow and rain until the weather improves.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

You're right, Bobbie,

I live in an extremely sheltered location, where we also don't typically get a lot of wind. And you're also right that one wouldn't just be able to back the trailer under; you'd kind of have to set up the First Up and then lift it over the trailer.

For me, I'm looking to spend minimum money in order to keep sun and pine needles off, and also to have a dry "workshop" while I remove and reseal windows, replace rivets, etc. Then I thought afterwards, if I can use it sometimes when camping, all the better. That's why I want to keep it under $100, and even then... not sure I'll go ahead with it.

However, Amy's situation may be different, and it is her thread

Raya
Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Another problem with a cheap EZ Up is UV damage to the fabric. I think you may need two shelters. One that is portable and one like this.
http://www.acecanopy.com/carcanopy.html

Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #11

Oh, Amy, speaking of leaks, here is a really good temporary solution I have used. Definitely beats globbing on the caulk when you aren't in a situation to make a proper repair.

3M makes an "All Weather" tape. It's their tape #225. It's silver, and looks a little like duct tape, but it completely different. What it's meant to do is be used outside, and to stand up to reasonably long periods of time in place without either separating (duct tape), or turning to OMG:CONCRETE! (duct tape, blue tape).

I've seen many a boat owner cursing the blue or light green tape that they put on "just for a few days" and a few weeks later, they are taking it off inch-by-painful-inch.

In contrast, the 3M 225 works really well. I've kept it on certain things for quite a long while outdoors, and it still comes off when you want it to (you can test a piece every once in a while if you think you're in danger of going too long).

When one of my windows started leaking and it wasn't a good time for me to re-seal it, I simply cleaned off the area above the top of the window frame (where it was leaking), and made a "hood" with one long strip of the tape. Problem solved until I got a chance to fix it properly.

The tape isn't cheap, as tape goes, but well worth it in my book. I used the 2"

Maybe this will tide your Clementine over until you get things sealed up?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Amy,
How about attaching a heavy duty tarp/canvas to the side of your house (grommets/eye hooks) and angle it down to some poles on the other side of your trailer? Some guy lines off the poles should hold it taught. I have no idea about it surviving a PNW wet snowstorm though. I would use more than two poles, something like four poles to distribute the weight better.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Amy, I share the concerns about the wind in the rain - UV is not really a problem in Seattle. A tarp would protect it from the rain (and snow). We went through the same decision process with our Casita, primarily to protect it from pitch and needles under the fir trees.

If you use a tarp, make sure you have ventilation so it does not turn into a greenhouse under it. We bought a Giant cover. I do not remember if they have one for the 13'. Ours was designed for 16-17'. We can get in and out with the cover on by dicking under. It will probably get in the way while you are working on it.

With any solution make sure that it is sloped or tight enough to not puddle from the rain and the snow. We had a huge puddle form behind our awning last winter, which then formed a 6' long chunk of ice.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #14

Trailer: Tent
We have one of the 10x10 easy up canopies, with four sides that velcro on. One has a zipper to act as a door. We often bring it camping to set up a kitchen area. I will warn you that our 10 x 10 is measured from post to post at the bottom. The cover is only 8 x 8. For your purposes you probably would want the one with vertical legs, it is the a true 10x10.

It can be a cumbersome to pack, but the storage bag has wheels, I slide it under the table or in the bed of the truck. I would never leave it up in any type of wind, the aluminum frame twists very easy and will be destroyed (that's how I got an extra cover, and the sides). My brother in law left his up in the wind and is was twisted like a pretzel. He had staked the legs.

For winter storage I have been considering a fitted cover, not sure it will be water proof, but would help keep some of grime off. I have been searching for a fitted cover, and remember reading on this site that I should look for a horse trailer cover. The rationale was anything labeled RV would be more expensive. I have not been able to find one that was in my price range until yesterday. I have linked it below.

13 Scamp Storage cover

I haven't ordered so I can't give you any details.

Mike
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #15

Registry
See, this is why it is sometimes worth posting a question even if there is some information to be found by searching. An answer I never in a million years would have found. Thanks.

Definitely worth a try, although having it wait through a Seattle winter for dry weather may test its durability. Do you think this could be found at Home Depot?

Quote:
Oh, Amy, speaking of leaks, here is a really good temporary solution I have used. Definitely beats globbing on the caulk when you aren't in a situation to make a proper repair.

3M makes an "All Weather" tape. It's their tape #225. It's silver, and looks a little like duct tape, but it completely different. What it's meant to do is be used outside, and to stand up to reasonably long periods of time in place without either separating (duct tape), or turning to OMG:CONCRETE! (duct tape, blue tape).

Maybe this will tide your Clementine over until you get things sealed up?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #16

Has anyone other than me used plumbers putty to seal a window? Plumbers putty is used to make the seal between a sink and the drain plumbing it is designed for a water tight seal for years with water pooling on it all the time. I forms a very tight seal that is water proof. It is very easy to work with, by molding with your hands it softens and can easily be rolled into a thin bead. I always keep a container in the trailer (the smallest size container is about the size of a yogurt, I keep one my toolbox in each camper) and use it to fill gaps or leaks I find in the field. (even once for when I scraped the large trailer at a gas station and pulled the edge seal back a 1/4 inch, it worked great in driving rain, until I had a chance weeks later at home to repair correctly)

For windows I took a small pick and straight edge razor, and scraped out where I could see cracks in the seal and around the whole edge, rolled the putty into a bead and force in to the gap with the razor (like a putty knife), I then did a bead and sealed all the way around and pressed flush with the aluminum trim with the razor. Knowing that the bead is water tight it would certainly buy time until there is time to pull the window and do it right with butyl tape. Like the butyl it does not dry out and harden.

Just a thought that has worked for me, it stopped most of the window leaks in my Burro. The rest were resolved by cleaning the weep holes at the bottom of each window. My guess is these hadn't been cleaned since the trailer was new, and water was backing up in the tracks with no where to go.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #17

Hi Amy,

The tape really does quite well outdoors, especially with a minimum of UV to get to it (your area).

What I would do, if I were going to use it for a winter, is put it on, then after a month (and on a day conducive to re-taping) tear one piece off (from the sunniest side) to see how things are going. If it seems to be starting to stick (i.e. glue wants to stay on camper), then take it all off and replace with new (you have a whole roll now ). If all seems fine, leave it and test again when it seems right to.

I know it seems weird to consider tape a long term solution, but as long as you have only a half dozen spots or so, and you don't leave it for years, I think it can work well. Far better than glopping on caulk and then having to deal with it later. You can do the odd rivet, too (I have two that are now taped and waiting for a "spa day."

I would just Google the tape. I can't remember where I got mine, but I think through a marine supplier (maybe Jamestown Distributors, or U-line). I got it a while ago for a boat project. I kind of doubt Home Depot would have it. But Googling "3m 225" should get you there. I like the 2"

Raya

Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
That 13' Scamp cover looks good, especially the price. In looking over covers for a year or two I have found that I wouldn't want a cover that rubbed on the fiberglass that wasn't soft or something like a flannel inside finish. Can't describe what I'm trying to say, but I don't want just plain old tarp material rubbing on my Scamp. I couldn't find what that material was made of and couldn't see where to email for an answer to my question. In other words, I wouldn't want any coarse tarp material rubbing on the gel coat. If anyone can find what the material is made of I would appreciate knowing. Thanks. Margaret in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree with you Marg. I come from a hotrodder background and those folks are rabid when it comes to protecting an expensive paint job. The problems with covers that touch is the abrasion. AND the trailer/car needs to be spotless before putting the cover on, especially the flannel ones, as dirt/twigs/acid rain gets embedded in the softness and really can create a scrubbing effect in the slightest wind. I live in a wind blown area November to March. By April I'd have a thoroughly sanded trailer.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #20

Quote:
That 13' Scamp cover looks good, especially the price. In looking over covers for a year or two I have found that I wouldn't want a cover that rubbed on the fiberglass that wasn't soft or something like a flannel inside finish. Can't describe what I'm trying to say, but I don't want just plain old tarp material rubbing on my Scamp. I couldn't find what that material was made of and couldn't see where to email for an answer to my question. In other words, I wouldn't want any coarse tarp material rubbing on the gel coat. If anyone can find what the material is made of I would appreciate knowing. Thanks. Margaret in NW California
I found the email for the eBay seller and have sent an email with questions about size (its listed as a Scamp cover and I own a Burro, I suspect that they are close enough in size), I also asked if it was suited for snow environments, and the material used, including the side facing the trailer. I will share the details when I get a response.

Mike