can't clear my head to many numbers. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: michael
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Unhappy can't clear my head to many numbers.

my 2013 nissan rouge is rated at 2400 pounds gvwr. my scamp shoy be about 1300 to1500 pounds. i failed math so many times i am totaly flustered, can i tow the scamp? too much advice in my neighborhoo, help! thanks mike daeumer
mike daeumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe your Rogue is only rated to tow 1000 pounds. You can check your owner's manual to be sure.

Since loaded-for-camping Scamps start at around 1300-1400 pounds and some heavily optioned newer units can approach 2000 pounds, the short answer is no.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:05 AM   #3

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
GVWR is different than CGVWR - the C is for COMBINED Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - meaning tow vehicle, towed item , contents, PASSENGERS, hitch weight, etc.... Remember HITCH WEIGHT is important to keep sway away and should be 10-15% of total trailer weight - this often makes it EXCEED the vehicle CARGO CARRY CAPACITIY (CCC) when you consider 2 fully clothed adults at 400lbs, 150lbs of gear in the vehicle, 50lbs actual hitch installed on vehicle with draw bar, etc... A LOT of vehicles have 1000LBS or LESS CCC - you will find it on a label inside the door jamb - usually with a picture of a tire and a note saying do not exceed XXXLBS - Also consider FRONT and REAR total weight - you cannot exceed either one OR the combined for just the vehicle itself. Also consider the rated towing capacity - it may surprise you to find that if it does not have a lot if there is no FACTORY tow package. Also keep in mind the newer vehicles with CVT (Constantly Variable Transmissions) have very low or NO tow ratings as these transmissions are designed for fuel efficiency not brute strength.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
CVT transmissions no good for towing.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Thank you Brian for taking the time to explain this so clearly for all of us that do not speak vehicle ease.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
... Also keep in mind the newer vehicles with CVT (Constantly Variable Transmissions) have very low or NO tow ratings as these transmissions are designed for fuel efficiency not brute strength.
Dunno about that.... the Pathfinder has a CVT and can be rated to tow up to 5000 lbs. That said, I didn't choose to buy one when I was shopping for a tow vehicle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
CVT transmissions no good for towing.
Do not tell that to the thousands of folks who are currently towing with a CVT transmission including many here...... getting harder and harder to find a passenger vehicle or crossover or SUV without one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Very wide range of applications use a CVT. It's been used since the 1800s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Name: Joanne
Trailer: In the market
California
My current vehicle is rated at 2500lbs, and this is also my question. Same boat as Mike, I suck at math.
Joanne1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1967 View Post
My current vehicle is rated at 2500lbs, and this is also my question. Same boat as Mike, I suck at math.
Take a look at the thread Trailer Weights In The Real World.

It is a list of actual weights of trailers loaded up for camping. On the first list most of the trailers where weighed by a member here at trailer meets so they used the same method of weighing each trailer. Also note that most were weighed on arrival at a campground that had water and other services at each site, so it is not likely that many of them where carrying much water if any in their tanks at the time of weighing.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Name: Joanne
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Take a look at the thread Trailer Weights In The Real World.
Hi Carol, and thank you. I checked out that link a little bit after leaving my comment, and according to this I'm good with my original plan to get a 13'
Joanne1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Hi Carol, and thank you. I checked out that link a little bit after leaving my comment, and according to this I'm good with my original plan to get a 13'
I'd say you're probably good, unless you plan to put 5 people and a St. Bernard in the vehicle with luggage and 3 bikes on the roof…

Seriously, that's what sometimes gets people into trouble- failing to realize tow ratings only factor in the driver (and one passenger, under the new SAE towing standards, IIRC). The more you put into the vehicle, the less you can tow behind. But a 2500 pound tow rating with a 13' trailer gives you some leeway.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
You are as suggested probable fine with the 13' but I suggest you read the full manual for your vehicle. Besides the max tow rating there are most probable other restrictions such as a max tongue weight limit as well as many of the smaller tow vehicles require a trailer over for example over 1000lbs to have brakes on it.

Be aware that many of the older 13' do not have brakes on them and/or a mounting plate on the axle that you can simple add the brakes to it. In order to add brakes on many of the old trailers you actually need to replace the whole axle. It might sound expensive but trust me without brakes its not a very safe tow for a light vehicle such as yours and you will go through brakes fairly fast on your vehicle and replacing cars brakes is not cheap either!