Can't keep RM2193 running on propane when going down the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: scamp
Texas
Can't keep RM2193 running on propane when going down the road

So I am new to the Scamp and so far everything on my 2010 13 standard with bath has been flawless. One thing is not working though... I cannot for the life of me keep the RM2193 Fridge going in Propane mode when driving down the road. It of course works in all 3 modes including 12v but will not stay lit on propane while driving. My old RVfridge had no trouble doing it. I guess it's safer using 12v but I don't have a hot wire running from the car to the trailer battery and using 12v probably would not last very long going down the road. Any suggestions are welcome! Love the forum by the way.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Is the metal cover in place that covers the gas burner area?
You might want to do a total cleaning of the jet, burner, and the flue above the burner including removing and cleaning the turbulator. It's all in the Dometic Manual.

One more thought, have the pressure on the output side of the LP regulator checked as well. A weak flame will work when parked, but may blow out easier. I have that same unit in my Hunter and it stays on all the time.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #3

Name: Curt
Trailer: scamp
Texas
Thanks Bob, I will be sure to check the regulator and clean everything.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: Peggy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
So I am new to the Scamp and so far everything on my 2010 13 standard with bath has been flawless. One thing is not working though... I cannot for the life of me keep the RM2193 Fridge going in Propane mode when driving down the road. It of course works in all 3 modes including 12v but will not stay lit on propane while driving. My old RVfridge had no trouble doing it. I guess it's safer using 12v but I don't have a hot wire running from the car to the trailer battery and using 12v probably would not last very long going down the road. Any suggestions are welcome! Love the forum by the way.

Run the line. It's not that expensive, and you don't have to rely on your propane shut off safety system to keep your rig from burning down. Hyperbolic, I know, and many folks have done this for years. Still, unsafe. Your alternator, even if you have a relatively small TV, can easily put out the less than 200 watts you need. And with 2 batteries contributing, no problem eating at restaurant for an hour or 2. I have the 2 way fridge on my Scamp 5th wheel and miss the big 3 way fridge in my old 17' Casita. Not enough to shell out a grand to replace it, but.....
Peg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
We made a trip to Alaska with our 2014 13' Scamp last summer and had the same problem with our Refer propane Pilot failing as we traveled down the road. We used the 12v hook up at times to our tow vehicle and had the switch on 12v, but this caused our battery to run down very quickly if forgotten for any length of time when stopped. So I tried an experiment and removed the Access door to the igniting area of the refer propane controls. I realized that the access door has horizontal air slots on the entire door were the problem as some of the slots are at the propane ignition area allowing direct air flow to the ignition area. So I bought a roll of 2" aluminum air conditioning tape at HD and applied it to the lower level of horizontal slots and left the upper slots open above the level of the propane ignition area.

The problem of the propane pilot blowing out went entirely away, I do not have to worry about the TV battery going down and we use the propane at ALL times when camping or traveling. I have used two tanks of fuel in 72 days of travel to and from Alaska and used no other source for power to the refer. I am happy this has fixed my dilemma and hope you take closer look at your access door to see if this is a fix you would consider. I am not saying it is the best way to solve this problem but this did and does work for us and we traveled over 15,000 miles now since doing this modification to the refer door. It keeps the air from traveling from blowing out the pilot. This is just a thought now.
Garylee in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Davis View Post
Run the line. It's not that expensive, and you don't have to rely on your propane shut off safety system to keep your rig from burning down. Hyperbolic, I know, and many folks have done this for years. Still, unsafe. .....
Not to disagree, but I will....

Using LP while underway is not unsafe nor will it substantially increase the chances of having the .01% of RV's (WAG) that have an on board fire, most of which seem to come from kitchen fires in the never cleaned exhaust vents.

In the 40+ years of RV'ing I have seen a number of RV fires, but never one due to leaving the LP ON for the refrigerator.

I, for one, would be far more concerned about that 20 gallon tank of gasoline we carry around under the TV.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylee in SC View Post
We made a trip to Alaska with our 2014 13' Scamp last summer and had the same problem with our Refer propane Pilot failing as we traveled down the road. We used the 12v hook up at times to our tow vehicle and had the switch on 12v, but this caused our battery to run down very quickly if forgotten for any length of time when stopped. So I tried an experiment and removed the Access door to the igniting area of the refer propane controls. I realized that the access door has horizontal air slots on the entire door were the problem as some of the slots are at the propane ignition area allowing direct air flow to the ignition area. So I bought a roll of 2" aluminum air conditioning tape at HD and applied it to the lower level of horizontal slots and left the upper slots open above the level of the propane ignition area.

The problem of the propane pilot blowing out went entirely away, I do not have to worry about the TV battery going down and we use the propane at ALL times when camping or traveling. I have used two tanks of fuel in 72 days of travel to and from Alaska and used no other source for power to the refer. I am happy this has fixed my dilemma and hope you take closer look at your access door to see if this is a fix you would consider. I am not saying it is the best way to solve this problem but this did and does work for us and we traveled over 15,000 miles now since doing this modification to the refer door. It keeps the air from traveling from blowing out the pilot. This is just a thought now.

Are those the vents in the outside panel?

Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to disagree, but I will....

Using LP while underway is not unsafe nor will it substantially increase the chances of having the .01% of RV's (WAG) that have an on board fire, most of which seem to come from kitchen fires in the never cleaned exhaust vents.

In the 40+ years of RV'ing I have seen a number of RV fires, but never one due to leaving the LP ON for the refrigerator.

I, for one, would be far more concerned about that 20 gallon tank of gasoline we carry around under the TV.

How many trailer brands recommend it? Please link to that recommendation. How many tell us NOT to do it. I respectfully disagree. On the gas tank as well.....
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Missouri
"We used the 12v hook up at times to our tow vehicle and had the switch on 12v, but this caused our battery to run down very quickly if forgotten for any length of time when stopped."

Good point. I never forgot but I'm getting older every day. But I still beseech you to not go down the road with the propane on. You can listen to old timey anecdotes all day, but I would stick to the trailer sellers recommendations......
Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

I have owned about 12 RV's over the years, from Airstreams to Tent Trailers to several sizes of motorhomes and never saw a warning against using LP while under way on any of them. They don't have to tell you it's safe, but they would warn you that it's unsafe. What does it say in your Scamp's manual?

Add to that, many RV refrigerators are "2 Way", gas and 120 VAC, I know that Winnebago has installed them in mini-motorhomes, and how would you run those while under way?

But I have seen a lot of fires following automobile accidents due to ruptured fuel tanks.

Odds may be about the same....?

Soooo... If any one has any documentation recommending against it, lets see it.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #11

Missouri
Quote:
I have owned about 12 RV's over the years, from Airstreams to Tent Trailers to several sizes of motorhomes and never saw a warning against using LP while under way on any of them. They don't have to tell you it's safe, but they would warn you that it's unsafe. What does it say in your Scamp's manual?

Add to that, many RV refrigerators are "2 Way", gas and 120 VAC, I know that Winnebago has installed them in mini-motorhomes, and how would you run those while under way?

But I have seen a lot of fires following automobile accidents due to ruptured fuel tanks.

Is It Dangerous To Use Propane Gas While Driving Your RV?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Davis View Post
"You can listen to old timey anecdotes all day, but I would stick to the trailer sellers recommendations......"

No need to insult the majority that disagree with your position.

With due respect, all you are offering against using LP while under way is individuals opinions, and additional anecdotal information from the web, much of which disagrees with your position.

How about information from a manufacturer, such as what your Scamp manual indicates, and not what a "trailer seller" has to offer.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

Missouri
Quote:
"You can listen to old timey anecdotes all day, but I would stick to the trailer sellers recommendations......"

With due respect, all you are offering against using LP while under way is individuals opinions, and additional anecdotal information from the web, much of which disagrees with your position.

How about information from a manufacturer, such as what your Scamp manual indicates, and not what a "trailer seller" has to offer.
Don't know about Scamp, as my used 19'er came without one. But the Casita check list for driving (in the manual) includes the line item "propane tanks off?". Pretty much says it all as far as Casita is concerned.

As for disagreement, I think those that DO run down the road that way self select against expert opinions, such as those from the "RV Fire Guy". As he said, "It's your trailer, we can't stop you", but he then gave you his best advice. I'm taking it....
Old 09-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #14

Missouri
Quote:

I forgot that Scamp uses a series of youtubes instead of or in addition to their "Owners Manual". Their recommendation is crystal clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=155&v=dSpBHIYgyGE
Old 09-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Propane on RVs

"Traveling with Propane
Driving with propane turned off may seem to be a no-brainer, but forgetting to turn your propane tanks off before traveling is one mistake that is easy to make. It's illegal to have your vehicle in motion with your propane tank valves open, and most definitely a risk when traveling through tunnels. It doesn't take much imagination to realize the impossibility of escape from a burning RV in a tunnel, on a bridge, or on the highway, anywhere. Play it safe and prevent fires."

RV Safety with Propane Tanks - Safety Tips

Some states don't allow propane tanks in tunnels, turned on or off.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

Missouri
Quote:

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...Land-Yacht.pdf

Page 3.7 "Exterior" "2. Turn off gas at LP tanks."
Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #17

Wow Speaking of Old Timey Anecdotes. If Scamp is basing their "Recommendation" to turn off the LP while travelling on their statement that it is against the law in some states to drive with the LP ON, I am afraid that ship sailed long ago.

Except in some tunnels. bridges and on ferries, which will have signage indicating so, there are no state laws that prohibit the use of LP appliances while under way.

The video is "Informational" and carries no credits as even being a Scamp corporate production. And Scamp does not even suggest that it is unsafe to travel with the LP to the refrigerator ON, only that they "Recommend" that it be off. One would think that, after 40+ years of building RV's, that if this was a real safety issue, that Scamp would have attached a $.50 sticker somewhere near either the LP tank or the refrigerator control panel indicating that danger.

As such, in terms of protection from liability, a Youtube video isn't worth the paper it's written on.....

Unfortunately I am still in the fire area of Wa and 1200 miles from my own store of RV manuals, but, as mentioned I don't ever recall seeing any "Warning" or safety issue pertaining to lp use while under way.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #18

Missouri
Quote:
Wow Speaking of Old Timey Anecdotes. If Scamp is basing their "Recommendation" to turn off the LP while travelling on their statement that it is against the law in some states to drive with the LP ON, I am afraid that ship sailed long ago.

Except in some tunnels. bridges and on ferries, which will have signage indicating so, there are no state laws that prohibit the use of LP appliances while under way.

The video is "Informational" and carries no credits as even being a Scamp corporate production. And Scamp does not even suggest that it is unsafe to travel with the LP to the refrigerator ON, only that they "Recommend" that it be off. One would think that, after 40+ years of building RV's, that if this was a real safety issue, that Scamp would have attached a $.50 sticker somewhere near either the LP tank or the refrigerator control panel indicating that danger.

As such, in terms of protection from liability, a Youtube video isn't worth the paper it's written on.....

Unfortunately I am still in the fire area of Wa and 1200 miles from my own store of RV manuals, but, as mentioned I don't ever recall seeing any "Warning" or safety issue pertaining to lp use while under way.
"The video is "Informational" and carries no credits as even being a Scamp corporate production."

Nope, it's what you get when you get into the official Scamp site and check under "Videos". Casita and Airstream say the same thing. Lawyer all you want.

Folks, I knew this would happen when I first posted. That's why the "RV Fire Guy" rolls his eyes at the beginning of his youtube....
Old 09-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
"Traveling with Propane
Driving with propane turned off may seem to be a no-brainer, but forgetting to turn your propane tanks off before traveling is one mistake that is easy to make. It's illegal to have your vehicle in motion with your propane tank valves open, and most definitely a risk when traveling through tunnels. It doesn't take much imagination to realize the impossibility of escape from a burning RV in a tunnel, on a bridge, or on the highway, anywhere. Play it safe and prevent fires."

Thanks Roger. You can see a lot of "Just because the Supreme Court says it's a law, that don't mean nothin'" defensiveness here. But if you can just get 1-2 newbies to act responsibly....
Old 09-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
"Traveling with Propane

Sorry I missed this earlier
Bold Italics Added.....

Please cite a single state in which it is against the law to travel with a propane tank turned ON. That's an old wives tale that died when propane & CNG started being used as vehicle fuel in all 50 states.

As mentioned, some specific areas may have prohibitions, but there are no state laws that prohibit it being on in general.

Tags
propane