Canvas Replacement on Pop-top - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Washington. I did one of the lower springs that way but the upper one is hard to reach and hard to see. I think I Will order the weatherstripping first and do both things at once. I was thinking of just removing the old fabric and attaching new inside but it sounds like to remove the old you have to take up the frame. Mine seems reasonably solid.

Not sure if the trailer will come home when I do, last year I left it here and I don't want to tow in the winter, but I also don't have very good storage up here and the salt air is bad for it.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Washington. I did one of the lower springs that way but the upper one is hard to reach and hard to see. I think I Will order the weatherstripping first and do both things at once. I was thinking of just removing the old fabric and attaching new inside but it sounds like to remove the old you have to take up the frame. Mine seems reasonably solid.

Not sure if the trailer will come home when I do, last year I left it here and I don't want to tow in the winter, but I also don't have very good storage up here and the salt air is bad for it.

I have to get the weatherstripping too. Where are you ordering yours from? I have seen a few links but they are in the UK. Have to find the right kind here in US.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Teri, be sure to use non-rusting staples. Here's some SS staples, I've seen them in 1/2" and 5/8" too

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastener.../dp/B000RUN3WK
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
I figure one of the Vanagon/VW places has it. I just need to measure how much. It apparently has metal clips inside that attach, those rust and that is why it starts sagging.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #19

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
POP TOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Today I got in to removing the canvas and pop-top of the trailer. Discovered that the reason it was listing was because the wood on the right (passenger) side was basically rotten. The canvas was a dirty mess and the amount of silicon that someone had used was a pain to get off.

With the top off it was pretty easy to clean the roof of the trailer. Stood on a small foot stool or the side benches. Used a bucket the hose and some Bon Ami with a scrub brush and got most of the dirt off.

Tomorrow I have to get some yard work done but will also get the material for the replacement canvas so I can sew it up on Sunday. I am going to use waterproof ripstop nylon that is used in tent floors. Some No-See-Um netting and velcro to cover them. I also am going to have to get some new wood and make a new frame for the lifting mechanism and to attach the bottom of the new "canvas".

Here are some pictures of the top.

Teri, that's a great job.

I have had my Campster for 6 months now and have upgreaded, revised, renewed everything except for the pop top....I have a torn Rotator Cuff and can't get my arms to work over my head anymore...I am leaving this
pop top for a Spring Project when my Son visits. Here is what I am designing. 'A permanent' installation of a Lexan plastic doam (Skylite).
I will relocate the existing roof vent to the front left side.

BoonDOCer...aka Campfrugal
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #20

Washington
Registry
I like the pop top as it fits my garage in California and rides cheaply on the ferries here!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #21

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
POP TOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I like the pop top as it fits my garage in California and rides cheaply on the ferries here!

Yes Bobbie, you bring up a good point about the 'height' restriction of 7 1/2 feet on Washington ferries. When I add the dome I will make surre it complies.....I am also considering lowering my Campster. Even though I am a boondocer, being a lo-rider like the Boler, won't cramp my style on
the back roads.

Doc the BoonDOCer.....aka campfrugal
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #22

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
Teri, that's a great job.

I have had my Campster for 6 months now and have upgreaded, revised, renewed everything except for the pop top....I have a torn Rotator Cuff and can't get my arms to work over my head anymore...I am leaving this
pop top for a Spring Project when my Son visits. Here is what I am designing. 'A permanent' installation of a Lexan plastic doam (Skylite).
I will relocate the existing roof vent to the front left side.

BoonDOCer...aka Campfrugal
Thanks for the complement Doc. I do like the lower profile for towing and storing. My trailer won't be in the garage however as there is too much other stuff in there.

Your modification sounds interesting. Would like to see pics when you get it done.

Isee you are in WA. My mom is on Whidbey Island and I am a native Seattleite. I will have to take my trailer up there when Bobbie is up there.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #23

Washington
Registry
Sounds like fun.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #24

California
Registry
Canvas is getting sewn - Finally!

Finally started sewing the replacement canvas/nylon for my Campster. Got the main section sewn and now have to put in the no-see-um screen for the windows and then covers for them.

I will be attaching the replacement nylon to the wooden frame with one in molding on the bottom of the frame and then staples on the pop-top part.

I am rethinking the windows in the top. Not sure I want to put them on all four sides. I am thinking of just doing two or three. Probably will decide as I am sewing that part and how much of hassle they are. Will see how it goes.

After the replacement nylon I will be getting new foam and reconfiguring the way the bed is set up. Pictures to follow.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #25

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Great thread, and thanks for the pictures. My top lists to one side or the other when you pop it up. Maybe it is the rotten wood from what Ive read here. On the plus side, I sprayed some silicon lubrricant on the springs and the rails and it goes up and down nicely now, so those dont need to be replaced.

Does anyone know of a pattern for the canvas for the poptop. The one I bought just had window screen stapled in all the way around.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #26

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
Our top has no windows, just yellow canvas. The guy said it came that way. Maybe the windows were an option. I just wonder how important they are as every VW I had, the zippers were the biggest problems.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #27

California
Registry
The canvas on mine had screen in 4 windows, one on each side and no evidence that there was ever a cover for them. I am avoiding zippers as I don't like to sew them and using velcro for the cover of the window netting.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #28

California
Registry
Canvas almost done

Today I got the screens into the new 'canvas' for the pop-top of my Campster. All that is left is to put the window covering on so I can close the screens for weather when needed. I am using velcro instead of zippers. I hate sewing zippers.

I also only made 2 windows instead of the four that were originally in the canvas. Sewing in the screens is not an easy task, not hard but time consuming. I hope to get the covers done tomorrow and will post pics when the 'canvas' is installed.

Tags
campster, pop-top canvas, trails west