Car Wash Woes.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Name: Helen
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Car Wash Woes....

Picture your beautiful trailer covered with globs and streaks of tar... Heartbreaking!

In March I took my 1981 5500 Trillium to the car wash for her bath for the first outing of the year. We go to dog trials usually the morning we leave we've gone to the local place to shine her up. They've got a great bubble brush on a long wand and it's nice and roomy. I used the bubble brush with all the pink soapy suds and was shocked when I washed it all off....big globs of tar had been stuck in the brush and now were attached to my Trill. I washed off the soap and went to my dog show, thinking I would get it all off when I returned. Disaster struck again.....I suffered two ruptured disks at the show and barely made it home to go right into surgery. My poor Trill has been sitting in the yard baking in the tar-Dalmatian spots for three months!

Finally my PT approved trailer scrubbing and this week I've been scrubbing using all the ideas I've gleaned from our forums. She's looking pretty good, finally, and I should be done soon. Long story short....

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Trailer: 2007 Casita
So sorry for your tar issues! I don't use those brushes for just that reason. There is always something in them. Anyway, not sure if your heard about the product Awesome (dollar store) a worker at a tire store told me about it. That is what they use to remove road gunk, tar off wheel wells.

I also just read somewhere that WD40 takes off road tar! haven't tried it, so I don't know. But worth a try....... good luck!

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I seem to remember reading here that WD40 and gel coat should not meet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I NEVER use the brushes at coin-operated car washes. If for no other reason, the dirt stuck deep inside the brushes have a tendency to scratch the surface of whatever I'm trying to wash. I take my own long-handled brush. Coin-operated car washes are a favorite of four-wheel drive owners AFTER they've gone mudding!

Helen, I'm glad you were able to get your trailer clean and hope you're mended too
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Name: Helen
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm looking at this as a great opportunity to really get her clean and shiny, inside and out. Lemonade from lemons philosophy.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I'd use mineral spirits or kerosene. Both are mild solvents and not highly flammable.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
I had an uncle that would mix diesel with his car wash bucket to remove road grime and tar. He swore by it. Might want to test a small spot first.
Archie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
What an unfortunate series of events, glad both you and the trailer are progressing along.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Coca-Cola takes tar off easily.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
awww that stinks,,whats a matter fer people ? just too many slobs in the world.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Bummer about the tar, good heads up posting for all.

Hope your back continues to improve and you get back to major Q or QQ action at the trials soon. Assuming trial = agility.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Sorry about the tar.....if you live in a rural area watch out for manure in those brushes. Most of the local livestock haulers do not use the brushes when cleaning out their trailers but that manure has a habit of getting into the brushes that are just hanging there......a lot of bull S. is thrown around.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Coca-Cola takes tar off easily.
Seems to me I heard it was Rum & Coke. Gently apply the Coke to the stains and...well know the rest!
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Name: Bruce
Trailer: ITM
I just bought some bug and tar remover made by Turtle. It worked really well on the wheel wells and no damage to the gel coat. Sorry to here about trailer and back..

Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote