Cargo Carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Cargo Carrier

A couple of questions:

Scamp sells/installs the hitch receiver for a bike rack. What are thoughts on attaching a hitch-type cargo carrier to hold a LIGHTWEIGHT plastic box - something in which to store a hose, extension cord, jack stands - limiting weight to say, 40lbs?

Also, does anyone use a (again, lightweight) car top cargo box while towing? Sorry if these are lame questions, but hey - you all seem to have the answers!

Thanks
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Common adult bicycle sold at wallmartare more than 35lbs each, so i dnt see a problem adding a box to the hitch receiver up to 60-70 lbs.
I personnaly have toolbox bolted to the bumper f the uhaul...

I use to have cargobox on top of my other TV, no problem...
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We went about 3000 miles last winter pulling our Uhaul with a Sears car top carrier on the car. We were out for 3 months so had a lot of stuff with us. It was good for the beach chairs, beach umbrella, and stuff like that. Only problem we had was when we got in a parking garage where the clearance started out at 7' but then went down to 6, LOL. We were just in a LL Bean outlet store and saw a real nice cargo box made by NRS, wanted it for the tongue of our Uhaul as we've removed the propane tank but it was just a little too big to fit unless I cut off the old tank mount and move the tongue jack. Reluctantly didn't buy it, it was a return and price was greatly reduced.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
What are thoughts on attaching a hitch-type cargo carrier to hold a LIGHTWEIGHT plastic box - something in which to store a hose, extension cord, jack stands - limiting weight to say, 40lbs?
That seems reasonable, but I suggest grabbing a suitable box (just anything of about the right size that you can borrow for a few minutes), putting it on a scale (the one in the bathroom will do), throwing in those items, and seeing how fast 40 pounds comes up. Depending on your scale, you may need to lift the box and set it back down to get an updated weight.

In a recent post, Norm described his box and noted that it was not watertight - most are not, but I happened to notice a cheap plastic lidded box in Home Depot on Saturday that was sealed with a gasket: KIS 74L Scuba Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Also, does anyone use a (again, lightweight) car top cargo box while towing?
I have used a large car top cargo carrier while towing. Our van has the capacity for it. The box was no higher than the trailer and I didn't notice any effect of having it up there. My wife did notice when she tried to drive into a parkade with it still mounted, but that wasn't towing...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Brian - excellent idea on the weigh-in, and thanks for the link to the "scuba box." Looks nice.
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
You may want to check out this company. I installed a frame mounted receiver hitch on the back of my Casita and mounted one of their Stow-Away boxes. They make smaller units too.
Link: StowAway 2 Cargo Carriers & Racks: Shop Hitch Cargo Boxes, Bike Racks and More
Attached Thumbnails
small_IMG_0004.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Brian,

Mine is not water tight because I cut the top to fit the shape of the spare.

When I had the bumper box on the Sunlight the spare was to the side of the box on an arm that mounted on the bumper. Hence I could leave the cover and it's assocated hing intact and hence it was relatively water tight.

Greg's Casita 17, if like most Casita 17s, is relatively tongue heavy, the reason we don't own one. Regardless of tongue weight I'm no fan of heavy weights extended out the back no matter the tongue weight.

If I had to carry two bikes I would consider roof mounts rather than rear or front of the trailer mounting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I installed a polypropylene cargo carrier on the back of my ParkLiner with a polypropylene trunk...weighs about 60lbs together....I keep hoses a few cedar blocks my sunbrella awning and ropes and stakes in it. I added my 18lb rocket stove and I felt a little sway coming home without the full 7 gallon water jug in my front bathroom so I movedit up front and its fine...watch the weight it adds up fast

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
We have used a Stowaway 2 cargo carrier for a number of years. We have a Scamp 16. I keep hoses, some wood blocks, an empty 5-gallon water container, and other odds and ends. Nothing heavy. We do use a sway control. Have never had any problems with it. It is sure handy to keep stuff in that you don't want in the trailer.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Be sure to include the weight of the rack as well. I was very surprised by how much the rack and box I was using impacted the handling of our scamp. There is just too little weight on the tongue, even without the box.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
We have a large Thule box on top of our tow vehicle. It can hold a lot and we've had all manner of things in it: camping and lawnchairs, fishing poles, tackle boxes and nets, kid toys, stuff for the dogs. Nothing gets wet. It would easily hold everything you are talking about and more.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #12

Florida
An advantage of a bumper box is that you don't not effect the aerodynamics /mpg of the tow vehicle.

As well as our bumper box we have 5 outside water tight storage boxes. We use these for items that need to be weather protected. They are located under the trailer, 2 of them on drop down slides.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
An advantage of a bumper box is that you don't not effect the aerodynamics /mpg of the tow vehicle.
If a box on the roof of the tow vehicle is no higher than the roof of the trailer, it also has little if any effect on fuel consumption. Even our 17-foot canoe didn't hurt up there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #14

Florida
True at least in part Brian, but I find towing the trailer is no more than 50% of the driving on any trip. All the exploring miles are at reduced mileage. As well I find roof top containers to not be as user friendly due to their height.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16