Carlisle tires - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Member
 
immrbill's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Posts: 57
Carlisle tires

Having never owned a trailer before I have a question. 1980 Boler Carlisle ST175-80-R13 tires. Sidewall states 50 PSI cold. When I brought the Boler home the tires were inflated to 35 lbs

Is this 50 lbs year round or are there times when it varies.
__________________

__________________
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,051
Registry
Carlisle insists that the tire be inflated to sidewall pressure in order to validate the warranty. Those are "C" class tires and should be just fine for your trailer. If you feel that your trailer is too light for "C" class tires then you could switch to "B" class next time and run them at the 35 pound sidewall pressure. Depending on the weight of your trailer that may actually be the correct choice. The correct tire , inflated properly will give the best service.
My 13Scamp is just a little heavy for the OEM "B"s, so we ran them tight until it was time to change, then we went with "C"s.
I have experienced my best service from Carlisle radials.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
Which tires would you suggest to avoid (if there are any)? For what it's worth, I run DICO tires (from Scamp factory) at 50lbs. Have for the past 5-1/2 yrs with no problem. But I've never heard of DICO before or since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Carlisle insists that the tire be inflated to sidewall pressure in order to validate the warranty. Those are "C" class tires and should be just fine for your trailer. If you feel that your trailer is too light for "C" class tires then you could switch to "B" class next time and run them at the 35 pound sidewall pressure. Depending on the weight of your trailer that may actually be the correct choice. The correct tire , inflated properly will give the best service.
My 13Scamp is just a little heavy for the OEM "B"s, so we ran them tight until it was time to change, then we went with "C"s.
I have experienced my best service from Carlisle radials.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,051
Registry
I'm not sure that there are any tires which are so patently inferior as to preclude their use.
For instance, I would not use bias tires on my trailer since it sees a lot of highway miles. That does not mean that they don't have their place.
Some used to think that their carcasses are more inherently stable for long term storage, and since the tread seems to have a shorter lifespan, they might be good for sporatic use and short trips especially since they have a smaller purchase price.
I personally had trouble with Marathons, but only in that they would not hold air and I had to constantly add air...Still they are among the most popular of all brands.

So I guess the answer lies in getting the right rated tire and service it as required. I will continue to buy Carlisle RH Radials as long as I continue to get excellent service life and stable air pressures, or until someone produces a tire of demonstrably better life and quality.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,312
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Carlisle insists that the tire be inflated to sidewall pressure in order to validate the warranty. Those are "C" class tires and should be just fine for your trailer. If you feel that your trailer is too light for "C" class tires then you could switch to "B" class next time and run them at the 35 pound sidewall pressure. Depending on the weight of your trailer that may actually be the correct choice. The correct tire , inflated properly will give the best service.
My 13Scamp is just a little heavy for the OEM "B"s, so we ran them tight until it was time to change, then we went with "C"s.
I have experienced my best service from Carlisle radials.
Floyd, I haven't been able to find any "B" load rated tires for several years. Even Scamp has switched to "C" load rated tires on their 13' trailer.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
Just to confirm, I looked at my tires again and they're "C" also. 2010 Scamp purchase date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Floyd, I haven't been able to find any "B" load rated tires for several years. Even Scamp has switched to "C" load rated tires on their 13' trailer.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,051
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Floyd, I haven't been able to find any "B" load rated tires for several years. Even Scamp has switched to "C" load rated tires on their 13' trailer.
I don't know what "even Scamp" means exactly but Load range B tires are still available.
This is in no way an endorsement but here is just one example...

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM3S030.html
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,312
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know what "even Scamp" means exactly but Load range B tires are still available.
This is in no way an endorsement but here is just one example...

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM3S030.html

Maybe it's just in a radial tire "B" is not available.


FYI... I did call Scamp a few years ago when I was about to replace my tires and was told that Carlisle and Marathon were no longer available in load range "B". Kent told me to go to "C" at 50 psi.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,051
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Maybe it's just in a radial tire "B" is not available.


FYI... I did call Scamp a few years ago when I was about to replace my tires and was told that Carlisle and Marathon were no longer available in load range "B". Kent told me to go to "C" at 50 psi.
AFAIK...Scamp hasn't used Marathon for years and has never used Carlisle. I agree wholeheartedly with the decision to use "C" rated tires.
I'm sure there is not much demand for load range B tires anyway since the lightest RV trailer which uses at least a 13" wheel is at least borderline.
At any rate...this is far astray of my point.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P185-80 tires OR ST185-80 Tires ericmarlo Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 19 12-30-2014 02:14 PM
For Sale 3- ST175/80R13 Carlisle tires Roy in TO Classified Archives 0 10-16-2008 12:41 AM
Carlisle strikes again, or thank god for an anti-sway bar Joe MacDonald Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 2 07-08-2008 09:58 AM
Load Range D Carlisle Tires Pete Dumbleton Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 11 09-27-2007 06:51 AM
Carlisle/NHTSA news flash Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-10-2003 06:03 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.