Carpet & Headliner Replacement help - New Burro Owner! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Candace
Trailer: New Burro Owner
Texas
Posts: 10
Headliner Replacement in Burro - New Owner - Help!

Just bought my Burro & am happy as can be! The little guy is in pretty terrific condition but the carpet & the fabric on the ceiling has got to go.
1) So... what is the fabric that is currently up on the center of the ceiling called (kind of like a furry, matted carpet)? Mine is a nasty blue color & I'd like to put a red/burgundy contrast stripe in this area.
What else can i use to cover this area (what kind of carpet/coverings have others tried)? Also, do I need to cover this area with insulation first?
What is the best adhesive to get "stuff" to stick up there?

2) Any suggestions for replacing the carpet? Should I put foam padding down? Do i simply glue this stuff in place or do I need to tack it down like wall-to-wall in a house?

Sorry for the novice questions but I really want to do this right (read: Hate to have to recreate the wheel when I believe a number of you are "wheel" experts!)

Thanks in advance for your time & help!
BTW: I bought the burro from the guy in Texas who had the posting here. It was only 22 miles away from my home (no road trip to Vancouver or Oregon -- yea!!) & was everything he said it was. Super great guy to deal with -- honest & helpful. The 13" Burro cost me $4500 in case anyone was wondering what his "reasonable offer" arena was...
__________________

__________________
Armymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Congrats! You can use the google search function for all kinds of threads on options and opinions of this very subject on these forums. Here is my experience:

1) I removed the old carpeting, scraped my fiberglass clean. Then used Reflectix (double sided bubble style insulation purchased at Lowes http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?pageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations) glued with a Landau High Heat Resistant adhesive (there are threads on here discussing different areas of the country's heat/humidity having good/bad luck with many different adhesives/sprays/glues. 3M 77 or 3M90 have had mixed results depending on climate. You can also read these discussions on auto headliner forums) then used a marine carpet as a headliner... flexible for the curves of the trailer. If you're going to the effort of putting up new headliner - I'd highly recommend insulation. My trailer didn't have any before and it's helped keep it cooler/warmer since I re-did it.

2) I didn't use carpet as I wanted a hard surface, so can't help you on this one.

Good luck!
__________________

__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,098
Did we post the same question twice?
__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Candace
Trailer: New Burro Owner
Texas
Posts: 10
I did ... Wasn't sure which forum was the most appropriate so I posted on the 2 that seemed like relevant headings. Is this verboten? My apologies if so!
__________________
Armymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,098
It isn't tidy.
__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,315
I've asked the moderators to merge the two threads together.

I don't have a vertical seam trailer, but always liked what Mike did using bamboo in his Burro. You could do the same in yours. Or use something else that you like, but this may give you some ideas.

Burro interior
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,369
Registry
done
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Candace
Trailer: New Burro Owner
Texas
Posts: 10
Talking Replacing Flooring w/ Vinyl Faux Wood Question...?

Thanks for all the help! This is a terrific resource -- I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction for the headliner replacement

Another question: Looks like I'm leaning toward the faux wood laminate (will put throw rugs on top to shake out dirt, etc so will have the best of both worlds -- sweeping & shaking -- hopefully!). I found some at Lowe's last evening that would work great.

So...When I put this in, should I be looking at laying it straight on the existing floor or will I need to add an additional surface to adhere it to? I've read that some folks have put new flooring materials in on top of the existing carpet (don't want to do this) & some have put in a 1/4 plywood base & then tacked the vinyl down.
I haven't torn the carpet up yet so I'm not 100% sure how much gunk/old glue is down there. Just wondering if there is a base substrate that needs to go down so that the Vinyl flooring lies smooth...?

Thanks again for the help -- much appreciated!!!
__________________
Armymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jen b's Avatar
 
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Posts: 843
Registry
Candace, congratulations on your new burro! I'm in the middle of a total re-do of mine. For the headliner thing, for this round I'm planning to stick yoga mats up there. Being closed-cell foam they essentially are insulation that doesn't need extra dressing. They come in a whole range of colors (with goofy color names like chai and ocean ) and thicknesses. I'm not sure what year your Burro is/how wide the interior ceiling gap is, but mine is about 23 inches give or take - the yoga mats generally are 24, and once you jam it up to the ceiling peak, that pretty much takes up the whole width of the mat.
__________________
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,156
Registry
I tore down the carpet and glued up reflectix with a natural grasscloth shade material spray-glued to it. The grasscloth can be cut with scissors. Then I finished off the edges with a decorative trim that I hot glued onto it. I bought an extra shade in case I decide to finish the area under my windows. You have a lot of choices beyond carpet, including material, vinyl, thin bendable wood, matchstick blinds, etc.
__________________
Pam Garlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,369
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymomma View Post
Thanks for all the help! This is a terrific resource -- I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction for the headliner replacement

Another question: Looks like I'm leaning toward the faux wood laminate (will put throw rugs on top to shake out dirt, etc so will have the best of both worlds -- sweeping & shaking -- hopefully!). I found some at Lowe's last evening that would work great.

So...When I put this in, should I be looking at laying it straight on the existing floor or will I need to add an additional surface to adhere it to? I've read that some folks have put new flooring materials in on top of the existing carpet (don't want to do this) & some have put in a 1/4 plywood base & then tacked the vinyl down.
I haven't torn the carpet up yet so I'm not 100% sure how much gunk/old glue is down there. Just wondering if there is a base substrate that needs to go down so that the Vinyl flooring lies smooth...?

Thanks again for the help -- much appreciated!!!
You will need to tear out the carpet to determine the floor condition underneath. There maybe glue patches that may have to be removed or sanded smooth. Generally a floating wood floor can be installed over plywood sub flooring. It does not have to be perfectly smooth, but clean and any staples or nails removed. I painted mine first to make it consistent. If you want tile you can install with glue over the cleaned subfloor, just make sure there are no seams or wide cracks.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 304
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
2) I didn't use carpet as I wanted a hard surface, so can't help you on this one.
Can I ask what you used, I want some thing easy to clean/wipe down, as I see mine getting very very dusty, and I dont think carpeted walls and ceiling would be that easy to get all that dust out of.

Thanks!
__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Can I ask what you used, I want some thing easy to clean/wipe down, as I see mine getting very very dusty, and I dont think carpeted walls and ceiling would be that easy to get all that dust out of.

Thanks!
I was referring to the original posters question on carpeting the floor. I used marine carpet on the walls/ceiling and have had no issue with vacuuming the dust out... but that's all relative depending on camping conditions comparable to yours.

If you were meaning the floor surface - I used an industrial tile so it'd take the beating and be cleanable Standard Excelon MultiColor by Armstrong

Sorry if this isn't answering your question!
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Candace, congratulations on your new burro! I'm in the middle of a total re-do of mine. For the headliner thing, for this round I'm planning to stick yoga mats up there. Being closed-cell foam they essentially are insulation that doesn't need extra dressing. They come in a whole range of colors (with goofy color names like chai and ocean ) and thicknesses. I'm not sure what year your Burro is/how wide the interior ceiling gap is, but mine is about 23 inches give or take - the yoga mats generally are 24, and once you jam it up to the ceiling peak, that pretty much takes up the whole width of the mat.
Hi Jen,

I am a new Burro owner and was curious how your Yoga matts on the roof solution worked out. Are they still up there? Any issues? What kind of glue did you use?

Thanks!
Tom
__________________

__________________
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headliner Replacement in Burro - New Owner - Help! Armymomma Modifications, Alterations and Updates 1 02-25-2012 12:08 AM
Burro "Headliner"issues Edward83burro Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 08-23-2011 08:14 AM
Burro headliner with LED strip kyle minor Modifications, Alterations and Updates 10 07-12-2010 04:42 PM
casita carpet replacement Ted Schmidt Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 08-17-2009 09:57 AM
Overhead carpet replacement Jim C. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 04-25-2006 07:11 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.