Carpet bunches up and moves around? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Carpet bunches up and moves around?

We got some colorful carpet runners at Lowes for the Casita. Layed it on top of the original dark blue factory carpet, which is in good shape except for stains that won't remove. One piece is 2' x 8' and fits the froor from the bath door to the back bed. The other piece was 24" x 40" which is cut to fit exactly in the entrance and butt up against the larger piece.

It is reasonably stiff, bound around the edges, and it has the dimpled rubberized backing. Problem is that with just a couple minutes of walking around it will pull away from the bath door and/or the bed end and form one or more "high" spots to trip over.

I though that, with it's construction, it would stay in place due to it's backing sticking to the carpet below it.

The we have these runners in our house halls that have ceramic tile floors. They stay in place pretty well, expecially with that rubber "non Slip" liner that can be put between the carpet and floor. But the liner doesn't help in the Casita. Going to try some double sided carpet tape, but have an idea it wont stick well to the top of the original carpet.

Pretty sure the Casita construction placed a piece of plywood on top of the fiberglass floor pan. But don't know that for sure. Thought about some short shouldered screws, but don't know the thickness of the floor wood, certainly don't want to go through the fiberglass.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Those runners migrate at home on our carpeting. No clue how to stop it except by fastening down. Carpet tacks maybe?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I would try carpet tape first.
That stuff has some grip for sure and is cheap enough to use till it stops holding.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have cut carpet to fit our Boler. It's held in place by an aluminum edge strip at the door and another where the step is under the table area. We've never had a problem with the carpet moving and it can all be removed for thorough cleaning by just removing a few screws.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Velcro. I did that with our first Scamp. Second one I got vinyl. I never saw the point of carpeting a camper of any kind but vaccums made without attachments amaze me too.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I saw some stuff that was made to prevent throw rugs from slipping, but I don't remember where it was now. Ah here it is and here
I have no idea how well it works. If you try it let us all know how well it worked.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #7

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Good ideas to try!
Thanks for the input!
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kip have been through a few throw rugs for the reasons you are have mentioned. Found that going for a pretty thick carpet with the rubber backing helps - a thin one (such as the ones common to kitchen use) with the rubber backing are too thin and light so they will bunch up and move around a lot - the thicker onces tend to move a little less but they dont bunch up and become a tripping hazard. Down side to going with the thicker onces is they normally have a deep ply that will trap all sorts of things into it - meaning more frequent shake outs! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote