carpet needs to go - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
The Casita we bought (1983) has awful carpet on the walls and ceiling. I want to remove it-has anyone delt with this before? This carpet is sculptured carpet like used to be put on floors. I pulled a little back and saw what looked liked yellowed foam. Help!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
The Casita we bought (1983) has awful carpet on the walls and ceiling. I want to remove it-has anyone delt with this before? This carpet is sculptured carpet like used to be put on floors. I pulled a little back and saw what looked liked yellowed foam. Help!
Richard,
I have done a complete carpet replacement in my '91 SD as was covered in another thread by another owner with an older Casita. It is a doable project, but make no mistake, it is a huge project. The yellowed foam is the foam insulation that came with the carpeting that Casita still uses(although they do not use a sculptured carpet anymore). I have researched it and the carpeting is only manufactured by Shaw carpets out of Georgia if I remember correctly, and they said that they do not sell that product to anyone but Casita Ent. I live close to the Casita plant and they were willing to sell me as much of the carpet that I needed to do the job. It cost about $300 in carpet to cover my 16ft SD. In order to do the job right you will need to drill out the rivets and remove the cabinets, kitchen,bunks etc. as the carpeting runs behind all the interior parts. I first tried to cut the carpet around the cabinets and soon realized that it was going to be harder to do that than to remove the interior components. The carpeting can be reglued with 3M super 77 spray adhesive. The hardest part is glueing it to the ceiling and getting it to stay. I had help and also used plywood boards and support braces to hold the carpeting up until the glue held and cured overnight. others on this forum have considered getting away from the carpeting altogether and either painting or using other fabrics. I considered these things as well, but I wanted a factory look and also decided that I would add foil faced bubble pack insulation underneath the carpeting for added insulation(I strongly recommend this to anyone attempting this restoration project) it greatly increases the insulation of the Casita and keeps the inside frostly cold on a hot day w/ A/C. The only reason I did the carpet replacement was my camper had a water leak for some time before I bought it and the carpeting was falling down and was molded and disgusting. this also allowed me to inspect the entire inside shell and track down leaks and reseal before putting in the new interior. If your carpet is still in good shape, you may want to consider dyeing it. I think Donna or another forum member had some words of wisdom on this proceedure and it may save you some time and or headaches down the road. if you do decide to tackle this, please don't make the mistake I did and not take pictures. I wish i had bought a camera and documented this. Good luck and congratulations on your Casita!
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Robin wanted to rip the Blue Shag out of the first Casita she bought. The members of this forum gave her lots of suggestions. You may want to read this entire topic:
Casita carpet....... Walls and Ceiling, Alternative?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
THANKS so much for all the infor about replacing the carpet on the walls and ceiling. I didn`t realize it was original.
After reading the posts I think I am going to get some odor remover and just live with the brown carpet and decorate around it. My husband likes it-anything to save money!
My family thinks the carpet is ugly and they are giving a lot of suggestions as to how to remove the carpet and how they would decorate and replace this and that-bet they are the first to want to borrow the camper, brown carpet or not!
Talk at ya later-got to go a campin!!!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote