Carpet vs Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Can I assume that carpet is heavier than Ensolite? Better insulation?

I've been trying not to look at the 20 year old carpet in my Casita. This would be a next year job since I have a backload of stuff to do in my life. But, I'm tinkering with ditching more weight and ancient, fuzzy, smelly, "who knows where it's been" carpet!

I hear about Ensolite on here but am unfamiliar with it otherwise. So I have the more than likely, usual questions. Would you recommend Ensolite or something else? Does it go in reasonably easy? I'm also thinking about doing it in stages, any concerns?

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Someone said they painted with a kind of paint that forms a thick cushiony insulating coating...but my 2 cents is that I smelled some older FGT with carpeted walls and it seemed like a magnet material for years of odors.

Quote:
Can I assume that carpet is heavier than Ensolite? Better insulation?

I've been trying not to look at the 20 year old carpet in my Casita. This would be a next year job since I have a backload of stuff to do in my life. But, I'm tinkering with ditching more weight and ancient, fuzzy, smelly, "who knows where it's been" carpet!

I hear about Ensolite on here but am unfamiliar with it otherwise. So I have the more than likely, usual questions. Would you recommend Ensolite or something else? Does it go in reasonably easy? I'm also thinking about doing it in stages, any concerns?

Paula
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Paula
I have had 2 13' Scamps one with ensolite and one with what Scamp calls Rat Fur. It is a man made fiber product that is short napped and does not seem to hold odors or moisture.
I prefer the ensolite only because it has a bit of a shine and the interior of the trailer seems much larger and lighter than with the carpet type material.
I haven't had to replace either material but I think that it either would be much lighter than regular carpet so it should be easier to work with.
Ensolite is like wet suit material with a smooth textured finish on the exterior side.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Quote:
I prefer the ensolite only because it has a bit of a shine and the interior of the trailer seems much larger and lighter than with the carpet type material.
...but I think that it either would be much lighter than regular carpet...
That's what I would think too.

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Anybody know who sells ensolite?
phil clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Anybody know who sells ensolite?
Phil, there's a couple of sources on the Helpful-Links pages: Ensolite
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I like the ensolite better. Creature-comfort-wise I think that carpet or 'rat fur' has a slight edge. I'd be very concerned about it holding onto smells, stains and assorted other contaminates. Ensolite is still comfy to lean back on. I agree about the lightness making the trailer feel larger. On older trailers, the ensolite is also very easy to scrub down and do repairs to.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

We like the "Rat Fur" but have no experience with Ensolite. The so called rat fur is over a aluminum foil bubble-wrap insulation material. They assured me at the Scamp Factory that the material (rat fur) would not mold or mildew and hasn't been prone to keeping smells in yet, but I did not ask about it catching smells?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Our Scamp has Ensolite and I like the fact that I can scrub it down with Lysol spray. I've always wondered if rat fur would be bad for my allergies. Another advantage to Ensolite is that you can poke nails & things into it to hold decorative items, but if you decide to move them, just pull out the holder & the hole disappears. It's also pretty cushiony when you whack your head on the ceiling.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Our Scamp has Ensolite and I like the fact that I can scrub it down with Lysol spray. I've always wondered if rat fur would be bad for my allergies. Another advantage to Ensolite is that you can poke nails & things into it to hold decorative items, but if you decide to move them, just pull out the holder & the hole disappears. It's also pretty cushiony when you whack your head on the ceiling.
Sandra
With "rat fur" velcro sticks quite well. No holes or pointed objects, just velcro.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have one of the older Scamps, at least as far as Rat Fur goes... it hasn't held any odors nor is it moldy. I of course take care of my trailer! I think one of the main benefits of Rat Fur over Ensolite, is the acoustic ability. Because it absorbs noise, I find the interior of the trailer quiet. That may sound weird, but cooking noises, TV, radio and even people talking is muted because noise isn't bouncing off the walls. I have carpet on the floor too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote