carpeted walls? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
Did I send this already? (New to this, folks.) My husband and I are "looking at" at 1999 13-foot Scamp. It is described as having carpet on the the floor--but also on the walls and ceiling! Is this a potential problem? The interior has been professionally cleaned. There are still a few darker spots on the interior of unknown origin. Leaks? Please advise.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The material on walls/ceiling of the Scamp are what we affectionately refer to as "Rat Fur." It's actually a liner used for marine applications. Very mold resistant if kept clean. General moisture from cooking and breathing don't typically cause problems. However it, like carpet in your home, will not withstand constant soaking. The rat fur aids in soundproofing (maybe resistant is a better word) and insulation.

Where are the stains? Around the vent? Behind the stove? Around or below a window?

It could be a water stain, food stain or maybe even mildew depending on several factors.

Carpet on the floor is also like your home. I can't wait to rip mine out and install vinyl (or something) that I can clean up with a paper towel, or sweep (NO more vacuum ) . I'll use throw rugs that I can pitch when beyond cleaning and shake out when stuff gets on 'em. I know others prefer the carpet.... to each his own

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
The material on walls/ceiling of the Scamp are what we affectionately refer to as "Rat Fur." It's actually a liner used for marine applications. Very mold resistant if kept clean. General moisture from cooking and breathing don't typically cause problems. However it, like carpet in your home, will not withstand constant soaking. The rat fur aids in soundproofing (maybe resistant is a better word) and insulation.

Where are the stains? Around the vent? Behind the stove? Around or below a window?

It could be a water stain, food stain or maybe even mildew depending on several factors.

Carpet on the floor is also like your home. I can't wait to rip mine out and install vinyl (or something) that I can clean up with a paper towel, or sweep (NO more vacuum ) . I'll use throw rugs that I can pitch when beyond cleaning and shake out when stuff gets on 'em. I know others prefer the carpet.... to each his own
I'm going to disagree with "will not withstand constant soaking". The material is marine carpeting designed to withstand constant soaking.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with "will not withstand constant soaking". The material is marine carpeting designed to withstand constant soaking.
It's not carpet on the walls Byron, it's headliner material.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #5

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Quote:
The carpet on the ceiling and walls on our 1983 Casita looks like what was put in homes in the 80`s. It looks like carpet that should be on the floor. I hate it! But after reading posts from way back-to remove it is too much work for me so I put in new curtains and bedding in a light color. Plan on pulling the rust color carpet on the floor and repace it with tile. Good Luck
Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Just my 2 cents..

When I went looking for a new trailer, I inquired on a Casita - went to look at it and was amazed at the carpeted walls. I didn't like it - reminded me of the conversion vans of the 70's. I made the assumption that it would hold smells just like carpet in our homes sometimes do. I could be wrong, but when I saw our U-haul trailer, and it didn't have carpet on the walls, I was more sold on that idea. My husband is allergic to everything so this was a major issue for us.

When we got our trailer out of storage this spring, before we put the cushions back in, I wiped down all the walls, counters, seating areas and buffed them to a shine. I had already replaced the carpet in our rig with a wood-look vinyl, so that got a cleaning also. Clean and shiny and ready to camp!

Again, it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I believe that when I talked to Kent about the bottom of my door getting we he said it was a marine carpeting. Furthermore he also said he had not heard of any rotting due to water.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
The carpet on the walls of newer Casitas is lighter in color than what they used to use. (Ours is a light gray. On our '89 it was tan; and I believe on older than '89s it was even darker.) I like the carpet okay. It makes the inside seem "soft." Like boats, our trailers are all full of compromises. In a Casita with carpeted walls, condensation pretty much only occurs on the windows (and roof vent)...

I will admit that the glue seems to have yellowed in one place on ours (it's a 1999), and is unsightly. I don't know what if anything I can do about it.

But, anyway, the answer to your question is, yes, carpeted walls and ceiling are common --and not a problem-- in these little trailers.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #9

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
The carpet on the walls of newer Casitas is lighter in color than what they used to use. (Ours is a light gray. On our '89 it was tan; and I believe on older than '89s it was even darker.) I like the carpet okay. It makes the inside seem "soft." Like boats, our trailers are all full of compromises. In a Casita with carpeted walls, condensation pretty much only occurs on the windows (and roof vent)...

I will admit that the glue seems to have yellowed in one place on ours (it's a 1999), and is unsightly. I don't know what if anything I can do about it.

But, anyway, the answer to your question is, yes, carpeted walls and ceiling are common --and not a problem-- in these little trailers.
Doesn't Casita use regular carpeting instead of marine.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #11

Oregon
See this partial old Scamp price list:

Old_ScampPartsList.pdf
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Doesn't Casita use regular carpeting instead of marine.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote