Carrying Bikes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
A few years back some people were in town visiting a neighbour with their Boler in tow. I had to have a tour of course! I was shocked when she opened it up that they were hauling around their outboard motor inside the Boler. Now that's got me to thinking...

I would like to carry two bikes, nothing special, just two plain jane bikes, mine and my son's. Weight wise with my set up - best place for extra weight in the trailer would be over / in front of the axle. Two bikes could fit in there . My other alternative is on the truck's roof rack, but with the tonneau cover it makes it pretty difficult for me to haul them up and down from there by myself.

Ideas about how to rig something up for transporting the bikes within the trailer without ruining the interior finishes??
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
With a Bigfoot 17, I would leave the bikes at home. If you must take them, put them in/on the tug! What is your gross trailer weight rating and cargo carrying capacity (CCC)? My CCC is only 300#.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We hauled two bikes in our 16' UHaul with no problems. However, we did just buy a new bike rack that has to be installed before Lanesboro.

I want to get our bicycle built for two ready to go for the trip also. Are you reading this, hubby (He thinks I make him do all the work when we ride it.)? New handlebars? But it would have to ride inside if the other two are outside.

CindyL
Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
We hauled two bikes in our 16' UHaul with no problems. However, we did just buy a new bike rack that has to be installed before Lanesboro.

I want to get our bicycle built for two ready to go for the trip also. Are you reading this, hubby (He thinks I make him do all the work when we ride it.)? New handlebars? But it would have to ride inside if the other two are outside.

CindyL
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world! I can't even get to the bike-built-for-2 in the back of the garage because of the 2 old VWs and all the camping stuff. That will probably have to wait for next spring. (My Honey-Do list keeps growing!)

Hubby (Kevin A)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lainey,

Sorry, my previous post was so negative. Remembering my more active cycling days, the stategy was to make the bikes more compact for travel. Removing the front wheel, the pedals and the saddle make packing the bicycle inside a vehicle easier. Quick release devices on the front hub, front brake and the seat post make this a lot quicker. Mountain bikes fit better than roadies. I never was a big fan of carrying bikes on top of the vehicle, as I've seen a lot of expensive damage with this. Webmaster Mike made a rack over the tongue of his Casita that is well designed and functional. If you really want to take the bikes along, you may have to make some compromises with respect to weight ratings of your trailer and rear tug axle (you shouldn't exceed any weight rating). Carrying bikes is one of those things that seems like a good idea, until you actually do it. There are quite a few posts on these forums that deal with the problems encountered trying to do this.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There have been several discussions of carrying bikes in the trailer. Techniques range from just laying it on the bed to custom racks.

The slick rack arrangement is some sort of plate (like a piece of plywood) on the floor with fork mounts (usually used on a roof rack) attached to it. See Donna's post #16 in purchasing/carrying bicycles, what kind is best/carry inside camper?, suggestions please for an example.

I put a bike in my Boler B1700RGH for a test-fit. There is enough room, but getting in and out is awkward because of the turn required. I think taking the front wheel off is a good idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I bult a bike rack in the trailer (term used loosly) and I have once carried my bikes inside the trailer (13' Boler).
Here is one with the table in place:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1314...mp;id=570018597
Here is one with of a close up
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1314...mp;id=570018597

We carried two trek mountain bikes, tires in the van. I have no pictures with the bikes in, but they were tight but no damage to the bikes or the trailer. Table was carried vertically next to one bike. If a picture is wanted of the bikes in I will do my best to do that tonight.

Total cost was about $35. MEC sold the brackets, scrap of wood and a couple of screws. It also doesn't bother you when you sit to eat dinner.

Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks for the replies

I'm thinking I will go with a version similar to David's, but on a removable board that would fit in the trailer behind the front table (table hardware is mounted to the wall so David's mounting system in the table location wouldn't work. Amazing how little room it takes up as a permanent installation David, thanks for the photos!

David - did you notice any handling differences towing with the bikes in the trailer than not?

Bob makes a good point also about cargo carrying capacity and I will check this out before proceeding!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I had issues with our van that trip but nothing with the trailer (load leveling decided it did not want to work). Our bikes are somewhat light and the weight change was not much at all and we never haul water which would be under them.

I too wanted removable at first, but in this situation with the step up it just would not work right and I felt the bikes would bang around inside in unison so a couple of 1 1/2" screws solved that.

Good luck, and show off the finished product.
Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote