carrying bikes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Thank You very much Pete. )

I only went back 1000 messages when I started reading Scampers so I must have missed it or else I wasn't thinking about a bike at that time.

The salesman at Scamp says that they some metal going from one side of the frame to the other and weld the receiver to it and the bumper.

Bill K

Could have been someone posting here, but more likely someone on the Yahoo Scampers group -- I have been reading it for years, so can't pin it down --

I've posted some quotes here because Y S can't be viewed unless member:

Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Not only does mounting the bikes on the bumper create tongue weight unloading (and problems for the rack itself), but the force generated by the bikes themselves while they're flung around back there are hard on the bike frames and anything attached to them. They also tend to collect road dirt which isn't good for the chains, bearings, etc. etc.

I carry our recumbents inside the trailer.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I didn't even think about the dirt angle -- Yes, the back of the trailer is in an eddy when moving down the road, with the side air flowing past the egg, turning and coming back at it (along with dust/dirt kicked up by the TV and Egg in passing) -- Kayak/canoe people know exactly what I mean.

Look at the back of my Scamp in this photo and envision your bike in all that crud...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RossRiver_YT__Small_.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	18253
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We went a totally different route for our bikes.
We sold our bigger bikes and bike rack and bought a couple of 6 speed folding bikes, that fold up very nicely and fit behind the back seat of our Escape tow vehicle. 25 pounds each and they fold/unfold very quickly..

No getting dirty and easy enough to hide when we stop somewhere.
Our Escape trailer did come with a bike rack ready receiver on it, but by then we had already bought these bikes.
I feel better knowing they are safe and sound inside..

Just having our old bikes on a rack on the trunk of our car years ago--they came loose and were dragging on the road--thankfully someone saw and got our attention before damage was done..
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I didn't see any posts about a 5th wheel hitch and bike racks. I am definitely nervous about putting them on the back, but we have minimal room in the truck bed....................hmmm. How badly do we want those bikes! I just can't imagine lugging them in and out of the inside of the trailer.
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I built one of the racks for carrying the bikes inside the trailer (see Donna's post). It actually takes me less time to load the bikes inside than it does to install my hitch carrier and load and secure the bikes. The first bike goes inside easily but the second bike is somewhat of a hassle - have to maneuver around the first bike and get the pedals lined up just right. I use bungee cords to secure the bikes to each other (less bouncing around) and the wheels to the bikes. The only other hassle is wiping the bikes down before loading if wet. In spite of the hassles, so far I don't miss dealing with the hitch rack and continually checking to see if the bikes are secure on the rack.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
One aspect that I believe hasn't been mentioned yet and that we have been dealing with ourselves during our travels is the fact that we rarely, if ever, go biking anywhere close to the campground itself. We usually take the bikes with us and drive to more interesting locations and nicer trails - and there is lots to see out there. Something to think about if you enjoy doing the same, and don't want to install two separate racks... and I can tell you that constantly switching bikes from the trailer to the vehicle gets old pretty fast. For that reason we chose to mount the bikes on the tow vehicle (roof, spare tire, etc. with a lockable rack) instead of on the trailer. On the other hand, we also have the ability to lock the bikes to our trailer/tree/etc. at the campsite for those few occasions where we just drive downtown to visit and don't want to leave the bikes on public display on the vehicle for extended periods of time.
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #22
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Joy here,

I have a factory installed draw bar which required the factory to add an additional cross bar to the frame for support. I carry 1 adult mountain bike and a chair in the bike rack on the back of my 13 footer. It's been on Scamp for 8 1/2 years. All is well. There are lots out there with racks on the back of their trailers and two bikes.

Yes, I had a sway problem but it was my fault, not withstanding the tongue weight was lighter. I was gaining speed up to and above 60mph, going downhill and around a corner. I decided to add an anti-sway bar and have made sure that I travel my normal 55 to 60 mph and not above.

I would imagine that my new mod of the generator on the tongue will most likely compensate for the bike. I like the solid feel of the anti-sway bar so I'll continue to use it.

I move the bike and rack to the Jeep when i want to bike other than around and near the campground. No big deal.

Name:	109_4438.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	20403
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I didn't see any posts about a 5th wheel hitch and bike racks.
Ian & Paddy have an Escape 5.0 that they tow with a Toyota Tundra that has a 5th wheel hitch in the bed for the trailer, and a regular hitch receiver below the truck's bumper for the bicycle rack.
Link to photo
Link to close-up photo
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft

I like to carry my bikes on a vehicle roof rack (the one where you remove the front wheel and lock the fork right in). I found that it was hard to keep multiple bikes from bumping into each other and getting all banged up on racks that hang off the back of the vehicle despite fancy bungee cord work. They will often need a full tune-up and wash upon arrival as well. On the roof you know they are secure and not hurting each other.

But, I would not recommend the roof rack if you can not get an attachment to fasten the rack to a factory roof rack. I had two separate cars develop problems with the seals around the doors using a roof rack that clipped right to the roof of the car. Light bikes and long arms are also nice to have if you are going to be lifting bikes onto the roof.

Val L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #25
Name: Jayson
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I use a bike carrier that has a hitch ball on the back.

So you have your vehicle, with 4 bikes and then the trailer.

I have used this hitch with my chevy 1/2 ton and a regular chevy venture van. it towed great and there was no trailer sway as some might mention.

I picked it up at Princess Auto here in Canada for $150. Well worth it!!!

In the USA it can be ordered from Northern Tool & Equipment:

Here are some pics:

Name:	bikecarry01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	20931

Name:	bikecarry02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20932
Attached Images
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #26
Trailer: 2004 17 ft Bigfoot
So has anyone used one of these bike racks with an equalizer hitch? If so, which rack?
Francine P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #27
Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Mine is the very first post here, from back in February. And after considering so many options, contributed by so many members we came up with a very simple solution.
We just put our old bike rack on the back of the Element, removed the front tires, and the bikes (two adult sizes) fit fine with the Boler behind them.
Our daughters bike goes in the trailer.
Simple and cheap solution.
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #28
Name: Les
Trailer: Boler 13 ft
We just built a receiver for the bike rack on our boler. We added a cross brace under the frame to weld the receiver to. When at the campground, we simply put the rack on the truck and away we go. We have only been on one trip with it so far, but it seems OK. There was a little sway at high speeds (passing a semi). I'll let you know how it goes on our trip to Sun Valley. BTW, we have about 80 lbs in bikes and 30 - 40 lbs in rack back there. We just pack the other heavy stuff in the front of the trailer. We're planning on moving the spare tire to the tongue.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0927.JPG   DSCN0924.JPG  

Les Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote