Carrying the generator and fuel.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
Trailer: X Casita Owner
LizBeth; I would suggest using a Marine style gas can or a metal gas can. Either of these will be better suited and can handle the rigors of traveling all the time.

I have a Honda EU2000 and it is connected to a 3 gallon marine above deck gas can by Tempo. This design allows the external tank to feed the generator by vacuum as it runs. This gives me extended run time without having to refill the tank every day. I bought an extra fuel cap which allows me to use the generator without the external tank as well.

The Marine tank is thicker material and the vent in the fuel cap is design to prevent fuel from coming out when the tank is rocking back and forth such as in a small boat or vehicle/trailer moving. With my vent open, I can almost turn my tank completely on its side before fuel will leak out. When the vent is closed, the thicker material of the tank can better handle fuel expansion like a metal one.

The Marine above deck style tanks are designed to connect to an outboard motor by quick connect fittings like I have setup for my generator. I don't know if they make a marine tank for pouring fuel from one tank to another without modifying it.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here in Washington, I have seen nothing but the new style plastic fuel containers -- I don't like them because once they are full, you have to keep the nozzle up and it's more likely to have the cap knocked off (if you leave the nozzle inside, warmth causes the gas to expand and leak right out.

Consider using a siphon hose to get fuel out of the tow vehicle tank to a gas container and then pouring the excess back in the TV before heading home -- Not only transportation safety and comfort, but the gen will always be getting fresh fuel.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

How and where do you carry your generators?
How much fuel do you carry?
Where do you carry the fuel?
Hey Lizbeth,
Ever thought of getting a trailer for your trailer?
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Curt, Thanks for the tote info.

Kent, have you posted more info on you extended use set up? If you haven't start a new post with the info, if you have please provide a link. I'd love to know exactly how to set this up.

Pete, now there's a good idea. laugh but those are cool! Great for carrying BBQs, fire wood, messy stuff!

Brian, those Flo-n-goes are a nice product.
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
How and where do you carry your generators?
How much fuel do you carry?
Where do you carry the fuel?

We bought a new 2 gallon Blitz plastic gas can with the new and improved "No spill" nozzle that spewed gass all over the generator when we tired to use it to fill the tank. We were not impressed.

I have 2 of these blitz cans. 1 is a 2gal model the other is a 1 gal. A nice thing about the 1 gal is that you can just tip it up and fill it up as the Honda has just over 1 gal tank. Most of the time I'll only put 1 gal in the 2 gal can for the same simple fill. Its also nice to have the extra can in case you need it or you come across someone that needs it. If the noozle is screwed on correctly it shouldnt leak. Ive had these for a few years and ran all ove the US with no problems. I kepp them in the back of the truck. The Honda is in a Rubbermade bin without the lid. I have an old furniture blanket I use to hide it. I also have to old mudflaps from a truck found at a truck stop. One I place on the ground under the Honda the other I use to cover the Honda. Keeps it dry from rain and or dew. works. I use a Monster cable and Master lock to keep it mine while in use. If you poke around my photo album Im sure youll see a few pictures of the setup. Im not sure where, but I know they are there.

Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote