Carson Power Pack Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Greetings. I'm a brand new Lite House owner (ownership is brand new. The camper is 1997). It appears to be in pretty good shape and I'm starting to figure out the systems. I'm a little confused by the "Power Pack" device.

This device has a 3 position switch and two fuses on the right side. The left side has a GFCI and a pop out circuit breaker.

From what I can figure out, the device supplies 12 v. to the internal stuff from the battery. When the shore power is plugged in, the device converts 120 VAC to 12VDC?

I have two questions.

First off, does the device charge the battery when the unit is plugged into shore power and the switch is in the "converter" position?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one but I'll ask anyway. Should the Power Pack device be supplying 120VAC to the outlet when running off the battery?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Davie
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Davie,

If memory serves me I have seen only one of these its a manual switch over using a double throw double pole switch with 12v present 100% of the time and no ability to charge properly the battery...I saw one in a viking pop top camper that came into the shop years ago.

I have a rule in my business with this end of it...ie.(charger/converters/inverters ect)...[b]if its over 5 years old its history...the price is so low on converter chargers now (see eBay) that its just not practical to service even the old high end units now...I bought a full replacement for a high end motor home for 59.00 last week and the unit in my F.B.R.V. for 29.00. (American was the brand). Without the mumbo jumbo of what improvements are actually inside these guys I can say its day or night now regarding improvements every 5 years..As these designs change along with the designs in battery manufacture every 5 years (they are not even made the same as in 1996) its just not practical to service one technology generation of batteries with the charge technology of another generation of chargers. Its wise to keep relevant current battery design on the same page with the charger technology that understands it.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry

Quote:
Greetings. I'm a brand new Lite House owner (ownership is brand new. The camper is 1997). It appears to be in pretty good shape and I'm starting to figure out the systems. I'm a little confused by the "Power Pack" device.

This device has a 3 position switch and two fuses on the right side. The left side has a GFCI and a pop out circuit breaker.

From what I can figure out, the device supplies 12 v. to the internal stuff from the battery. When the shore power is plugged in, the device converts 120 VAC to 12VDC?

I have two questions.

First off, does the device charge the battery when the unit is plugged into shore power and the switch is in the "converter" position?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one but I'll ask anyway. Should the Power Pack device be supplying 120VAC to the outlet when running off the battery?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Davie
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Davie,

If memory serves me I have seen only one of these its a manual switch over using a double throw double pole switch with 12v present 100% of the time and no ability to charge properly the battery...I saw one in a viking pop top camper that came into the shop years ago.

I have a rule in my business with this end of it...ie.(charger/converters/inverters ect)...[b]if its over 5 years old its history...the price is so low on converter chargers now (see eBay) that its just not practical to service even the old high end units now...I bought a full replacement for a high end motor home for 59.00 last week and the unit in my F.B.R.V. for 29.00. (American was the brand). Without the mumbo jumbo of what improvements are actually inside these guys I can say its day or night now regarding improvements every 5 years..As these designs change along with the designs in battery manufacture every 5 years (they are not even made the same as in 1996) its just not practical to service one technology generation of batteries with the charge technology of another generation of chargers. Its wise to keep relevant current battery design on the same page with the charger technology that understands it.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Thanks Harry. How does your new converter sound? The only problem I can see with the one in my Lite House is that it's loud. When the shore power is plugged in, there is an annoying humming sound.

We're doing a shakedown cruise and an overnight this Friday.

Davie
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #4

Registry
There is one negative regarding the converter. When it's plugged into shore power, the transformer makes a buzzing sound. A friend suggested that the classic solution to the problem is to soak the transformer in varnish. The theory is that the buzzing is caused by loose plates in the transformer and that the varnish soaks between the plates. When it dries, the theory goes, the space is filled and the transformer no longer makes noise.

So has anyone ever heard about this trick?