Case Awning on 13' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Case Awning on 13' Boler

Is it possible to install a 8 ft. A & E Trans Awn 2000 case awning on a 13' Boler and if so how would it be attached? The awning rail is only 7 feet long.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The case awnings do not use the awning rail that may already be on your trailer. The case which the awning rolls up into is held in place by two brackets on either end of the case that are attached via 4 bolts through the fiberglass. If you are considering an new awning I would take a good look at the Carefree awnings before I would put an A & E case awning on the trailer. I have an A&E and they are a real pain to put up and take down - Carefree's are much simpler and much easier for one person to put up and take down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

It is a used awning. Download instructions show 2 methods to install but they both involve using the brackets on each end one using the awning rail and one bolted on.The problem is that this awning is longer than the available flat space on a 13 footer.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

awning

Here is a picture of a 13 ft scamp which I believe has an 8 ft. awning. Does anyone else have this setup and how is it working with the ends not attached to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
awning1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

Registry
Barbara here is a photo of the brackets that are on my A&E awning. As you can see there are two bolts one on the the top bracket and one on the bottom that go through the trailer - two other bolts go through the case itself. Pretty easy to drill new holes in the case and put the brackets further down the awning. As I recall every Scamp I have seen with a case awning has been mounted pretty well the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
awning braket.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Thanks for that photo. We are missing those brackets. The van we took it from did not use them in the installation. I wonder if we can find any? Does anyone know if they are used with current models of awnings?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
brackets

maybe see about having a metal company make them for you ??

anyone know if you can put such an awning on a 1980 bowler?
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Registry
Barbara all the case awnings on the Scamps I have seen have similar brackets- only way to do it due to the roundness of the trailer roofs & to get the case to sit correctly to open and close. They would as someone suggested be pretty easy to have made. if you need the measurements let me know. They are actually in two pieces held together with the two bolts at the awning its self. Or you could just call Scamp and ask where you could get a set.

Ria, I have seen a number of different types of awnings on 13' Bolers.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #9

boler awning

Thanks carol!!.... I will check how long the track is on the boler. We have the origional awning... but it is very small.... I like it as i like the origional.

My husband prefers to attach one of the awnings in the case that roll out... that is about 10 ft wide... and if its rolled out it might be 8 ft long... etc
We're just not sure if this would be safe or secure on the boler as the body is rounded so the entire awning would not be flush with the side of the trailer. Was also wondering in how it would be attached as the current track is on with Rivetts.... and where we were concerned that case awning would be too heavy.
have been looking an Carefree Awnings.- one that we can have the add-a-room as an option.

We are in southern ontario west of TO.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #10

awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Gardin View Post
Here is a picture of a 13 ft scamp which I believe has an 8 ft. awning. Does anyone else have this setup and how is it working with the ends not attached to the trailer.
This is exactly what my husband wants to put on our boler to replace the origional track for the small awning. We're just not sure if it be too heavy and how it could be attached....

I did see the other post with the brackets ...so it may be duable ...

Does anyone know of anyone within Ontario that can do proper installation etc
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #11

Registry
Ria, as you will see the case awnings dont sit flush to the trailer - they sit a couple of inches up off the trailer on the brackets.

re the Carefree awnings - just look carefully at the different models and talk to a pro installer before buying. I know that they work well with the Escapes, Trillium's, Surfsides and Bigfoots but those trailers sides tend to be a straighter than the Boler and the Scamps, for the arms that stay attach down the sides.

You can get the case awnings that Scamp uses A&E/Dometic - there web site is located here and they do have a case awning that is only 8' long which may fit your trailer a little better and you can get an add a room for it.
Good luck with your search. The Dometic awnings are fairly common so an RV shop in your area should be able to point you in the right direction. There really isnt by the way much to mounting them - I had to take mine right off last year to replace the end caps and getting it back on was not all that hard.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #12

Carol-
for got to say... that the main concern is the weight of it hanging and that if the screws are ok to use ...

thanks again!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria. V View Post
Carol-
for got to say... that the main concern is the weight of it hanging and that if the screws are ok to use ...

thanks again!
Ria, on the website link in their catalog they give weights - it looks like the 8' 9000 model weighs about 65lbs - seems a bit high to me as I dont recall mine which is 10' weighing that much but your best to check with them directly as to the actual weight. You may want to start a new thread - with Boler and awning in the heading and perhaps someone with a Boler can comment on the weight issue.

There are 4 (2 at each end) fairly large bolts (biggest on the trailer) that go through the fiberglass on mine with large washers & acorn nuts on the inside of the trailer securing them. As you will be pulling a far bit on the awning to get it out & wind can flap it, you need it to be very secure with a fairly large bolts - I dont think screws would cut it. If you decide its ok to go ahead with it, I highly recommend making sure you use butyl tape under the brackets to keep it from leaking.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #14

Carol, I would appreciate the measurements for the brackets. My son will be making some. Thanks for the help and picture.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Registry
Barbara the metal used for the brackets is 1-1/8" Wide x 1/8" thick.

The bracket is actually 2 pieces and they are attached together by one of the bolts that goes through the inside of the awning at the back.

The top pieces is 6 1/4" long in total and the section that is flat to the roof of the trailer with the bolt through into the inside of the trailer is 1 1/4" - the center of the bolt hole is a 1/2" from the end edge.

The lower piece is 4 1/4" long in total and the section that is flat to the trailer is also an 1 1/4" with the bolt (goes though into the trailer) centered 1/2" from the bottom edge. It is bolted onto the inside of the awning at the back with 2 bolts.

The whole awnings sits with the bottom back edge about 3/4" of an inch off the trailer.

Acorn nuts where used on the ceiling on the inside of the trailer where the bolt comes through - it also has a large washer on the inside under the rat fur.

As mentioned previously make sure you install it with butyl tape - mine wasnt and in heavy rains it dripped inside a little bit from 2 of the bolts - its been fine since it was redone with butyl.

A few more photos as the previous one was taken in the dark. Sorry about the glare but even though my old trailer is undercover it cant help but show off its shine! And guess what Its Not Floor Wax!
Attached Thumbnails
awning photo 3.jpg   awniing photo 4.jpg  

Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Thanks Carol. That really is quite a shine.

Tags
awning, boler