Casita 17' SD bed modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: 2014 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Registry
Casita 17' SD bed modification

Looking for information on having a permanent bed in the back of our 17' Spirit Deluxe Casita. Possibly replacing table top for better support and a side rail.
LauraN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We bought a Southern Mattress for our SD 17 and really like it. I plan on replacing the table top with plywood, but went three months last winter with the table. Our side table is secured permanently in the up position.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
We full-time and keep back of the SD17 set up as a bed always. A few weeks ago, the table cracked. The post holders, I believe, make the center weak, as well as the fact MDF board not that sturdy. It's a problem many experience.
As a quick fix, I added a few PVC pipes as legs under the cracked board.
We have ordered a 1/2 inch finished hardwood sheet of wood to replace the broken one.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Registry
I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for bed. Works for me.
pholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Thank you for the suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestions. We were thinking about putting in 3/4 inch plywood (because we have some) and wanted to see if others did the same and what their experiences were with it. We would like to drill holes in it so that it can "breathe".
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you're concerned about moisture under the mattress there is a product for that. Look up Hypervent Marine.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
SD bed mod

I used 1x6 inch pieces of wood laid side be side with small gaps to allow air circulation under my Visco 8 inch Memory Foam Mattress. I also downsized to a twin mattress to give me more floor space and left a gap at the rear where the curve is to store extra rolled up blankets.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
How much more does the 1/2 inch plywood weigh than the table (hardware removed from underneath table weight)?
Peer n Brandee KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
According to our calculations, the plywood is actually lighter (and stronger) than the mdf table (without hardware underneath).
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN View Post
Looking for information on having a permanent bed in the back of our 17' Spirit Deluxe Casita. Possibly replacing table top for better support and a side rail.
We have used the table between the seats as a base for our Sleep Number bed for 10 years now. No problems with table or anything.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

Name: Lee
California
Bed

My LD has a permanent double bed installed. I got a eight inch foam bed with a zip on cover from Walmart. I used the cushion to get the correct radius so I could trim the mattress to fit the rear curved wall. I just marked it with a sharpie. And cut the foam with an electric bread knife, it cut like. Bread! Zipped the cover back on and it fit perfectly.
I have had it a year now and still love my bed....and it cost less than three hundred dollars.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita