Casita AC noise concern - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Casita
New Jersey
Casita AC noise concern

I receeived delivery of a 2017 Casita SD in March of this year. I have to say after several trips I was pleased with the purchase until a recent trip requiring the use of the AC. Mine came equipped with the Coleman Mach 8. The AC is loud outside when the compressor kicks on and inside it vibrated so bad it shakes the trailer. You can't sleep because it is so loud. The compressor seems to kick often for the small space it has to cool.

Has anyone out there had this same problem. Is there anything I can do besides replacing the AC. If not can anyone recommend a good replacement unit.

While researching various trailers prior to purchase I read several blogs that mentioned this same problem and when I mentioned this to Casita prior to purchase I was assured that the problem had been taken care of with newer the models. I am sad to say that I wish I had done more research.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Alan Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Orbital Machine Works AC Mod

Orbital Machine Works or Perfect Casita (2 names for the same company) sells a Hush Kit that significantly reduces the noise and vibration of the Mach 8 AC. I installed the hush kit and now my AC is as quiet as any around. Check out their web site. There is information on the before and after noice dBs. Now it does not quiet the inside noise, only the outside noise. You can also see information on the Casita Forum.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Micro Easy Start will quiet the thump when the compressor kicks on, but it will cost ya. Lots of info online about it.

And your title is misleading .. Casita AC noise concern... it is not a Casita concern, it is with all R/V with similar (roof) A/C units. But its camping! or Glamping, or R/Ving (whatever you call it). I just deal with the added noise knowing its never going to be the same as my central air system at home. A few extra miles on the daily hike and you might sleep so soundly that the noise is no longer a concern.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #4

New Jersey
Thank you.

You are correct. It is not really a Casita problem nor was my inquiry an attempt to blame Casita. I looked at many and am very pleased with my purchase. On this recent trip I was parked in a line of larger RV's and the fan on the Mach 8 was significantly louder outside when the compressor kicks on. Inside the concern is with the noise and vibration when the compressor kicks on which is often. It may be simply something that in time I will get used to. I ended up wearing ear plugs like I did in my tent camping days to deal with loud neighbors and generators and maybe even the Mach 8's of the day.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #5

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
Mach 8

When I called Coleman about the Mach 8 noise they said it only sounds loud because the Casita is not as tall as an RV.......,Yea Right !
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I installed both the OMW hush kit and the MicroAir Easystart on the Mach 8 atop my 2015 Casita. I'm very pleased with both modifications.

As others have noted, the hush kit doesn't do much for interior noise. The EasyStart tames the trailer-shaking tremor that occurs when the compressor engages. It also makes the A/C easier to run on a small generator.

Keep in mind, you are sleeping with a 9,200BTU air conditioner a couple of feet above you. You are going to have some noise, no matter what. We found that the compressor cycling was much worse than the fan noise.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
In Jan. 17 I spoke to the Coleman A/C factory Rep. at the Tampa RV show. He said they were updating and making improvements to the Mach-8 to address the noise issues. He said the new updated model would be out in several months. You may have not gotten an updated unit. First thing I would do is call the A/C factory with your model number to see if you got an old or updated unit and go from there.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #8

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
I personally like the Interior AC sound. It drowns out exterior noises. The out side AC noise is atrocious!
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I hate that AC thump noise and will more than likely bite the bullet for a soft start kit. Wouldn't you think a company that sells AC units for campers would wise up and incorporate a soft start.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I got the OMW hush kit and the MicroAire 364 soft start. LOVE both of them. Install both at the same time in less than an hour for sure and this makes it a totally different unit. Quiet, efficient and no more starting thud. It will run on small generator in eco mode with no problems now.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

New Jersey
Thanks for input

I wish to thank you all for your recommendations. I installed the hush kit from Orbital Macine Works along with the Micro-Air Easy Start 364 Soft Starter. The difference is unbelievable. The outside noise and the internal thump are gone and I can run my air from my Honda 2000 generator on Eco. I did the install in about 40 minutes. It was a bit pricey at around $420.00 total but in the long run worth it for the improvement. Tech support and product quality excellent from both suppliers. It's a shame that it's not done from the factory. Happy camping!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dilley View Post
..It's a shame that it's not done from the factory.
There is a very good reason it is not "done from the factory." The reason is that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dilley View Post
... It was a bit pricey at around $420.00...

Few of us are bothered enough by the noise on the relatively few days that we use the A/C that we are willing to spend that kind of money, and also few of us use generators. The manufacturers know that.

But if you find that it is worth the $420 and you sleep better, that's all that matters. Thanks for reporting back on your upgrade.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita