Casita, Black Water Tank Leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Casita, Black Water Tank Leaks

I have a 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe.
Last year while Boon-docking camping I would use the toilet that sits in the shower, with the tank that sits on the shower floor.
I would just urinate in it, and noticed the urine was on the floor of the shower along the seem on left side after using it several days.
I tried to reseal it , digging old caulking out and cleaning and drying good, with Dicor along this seam when I got home but next trip same problem.
Has anyone had this problem and did they get it fixed? How?
Is this a double wall unit?
Is it a fiberglass pedestal with an inner black water tank?
Thanks for any input.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you have the exposed tank under the toilet you have a Sealand 911 toilet. (discontinued) There are threads here showing the 911 tank base and how someone separated the tank and resealed it. Current replacement toilet is the M-28 711 which scamp uses. The 711 tank will bolt your toilet but there is not enough clearance for the flush arm. The 711 marine tank will not work you will need a 711 RV bottom discharge tank if you go that route, only a few vendors sell them.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Tank leak cause

Obviously, tanks should not leak. If a tank does, then a search for the ultimate cause is worthwhile in order to craft a solution that will not leak again. It is known that the weakness of the frame transmits boondocking torsional stress to the shell which deforms it enough to both pop rivets and produces stress cracks. It goes without saying that those stresses are being applied throughout the shell. Though it cannot be easily proven, the likelihood is that those same boondocking stresses manifest themselves in your tank rupture too. So, after the tank is repaired, you'll either need to avoid boondocking stresses or fit a boondocking frame. Specialty firms can do this work.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Obviously, tanks should not leak. If a tank does, then a search for the ultimate cause is worthwhile in order to craft a solution that will not leak again. It is known that the weakness of the frame transmits boondocking torsional stress to the shell which deforms it enough to both pop rivets and produces stress cracks. It goes without saying that those stresses are being applied throughout the shell. Though it cannot be easily proven, the likelihood is that those same boondocking stresses manifest themselves in your tank rupture too. So, after the tank is repaired, you'll either need to avoid boondocking stresses or fit a boondocking frame. Specialty firms can do this work.
Our boondocking is not off road-ing It is just camping without the power or water hook ups.
Not knowing what PO has done with the camper may be an issue but where the tank is just sitting on the floor of the camper shower floor I can not see how stress could be a factor?
Thinking more it may have been a freeze problem.
Thanks anyway.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
911 Tank repair

911 tank repair thread. The newer 711 tank is molded. The link title is wrong but it links to the black tank repair thread.

Eddie
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ace-82275.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I'd check underneath to make sure that your 3" black tank drain elbow isn't cracked and that it is well attached at the tank outlet. They've been known to sustain damage from road hazards and many people have had to replace those elbows due to them being physically damaged. While it is possible for a crack to develop in the tank wall itself, this would be pretty rare. The black tank on Casitas are two piece. The bottom and sides are molded fiberglass, and the top is also molded fiberglass, but it isn't "one piece" like a typical roto-molded tank would be. It is possible, that if the top isn't sealed well to the walls of the tank, there could be some overflow if the tank level gets too full. This is a picture of what the top looks like when it's off the tank. I replaced my Thetford with a SeaLand 511 porcelain bowl unit which is much superior to the factory plastic toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
casita1 018.jpg  
Attached Images

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

Greg, this is nothing like my toilet. I think you have your black tank under the trailer floor while my tank is above the floor.
If the elbow was leaking it would leak onto the ground outside the camper and no leaks in the plumbing.
Wish I could post a picture but not anywhere near camper now as we are away from home for a while.
But I think the only way I can describe the think is that the tank is above the floor with a drain in the center, bottom, of tank, that leads to my massarator pump.

The toilet itself sits on a fiberglass lift over the tank and can support the weight of a human.
Is this just a shell over a plastic tank???

Leak shows up from seam where the fiberglass pedestal connects to the shower floor even with just half a gallon of water in it.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #8

Eddie, I did a search for the 911 toilet and the first picture on images of toilets is style like the one I have in my Casita.
Gerry
Old 03-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
No Gerry,
My tank is above the floor as well, although your earlier model may differ somewhat. My toilet actually sits on top of the tank, and the tank itself sits on the floor of the trailer. It isn't "underslung."
The picture isn't the greatest, but if you look carefully at the right side (inside the bathroom) you'll see the 7 or 8 inch raised area under the toilet. That is my black water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
casita door vent 002.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
No Gerry,
My tank is above the floor as well, although your earlier model may differ somewhat. My toilet actually sits on top of the tank, and the tank itself sits on the floor of the trailer. It isn't "underslung."
The picture isn't the greatest, but if you look carefully at the right side (inside the bathroom) you'll see the 7 or 8 inch raised area under the toilet. That is my black water tank.
Yea, yea...that's the same as mine but mine is like 10 inches high.
Thanks, Gerry
Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft

Is this what you have as well? Mine leaked too.

(I have no idea why it talks about a Burro in the link. It's about resealing toilets.)

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post

Is this what you have as well? Mine leaked too.

(I have no idea why it talks about a Burro in the link. It's about resealing toilets.)
I tried to get in the small space and getting the calking off so I could repair myself but with arthritis in hands and the cramped space for a big person with an artificial hip it was impossible.
Took it to the shop and had preseason / trip service done, New bearings, check suspension and breaks and a general going over, along with them finding out the tank wasn't broken but it being a 711 tank with the seal at the bottom it was leaking here as well as at every seal between toilet to tank and tank to waste pipe going out.
Guess the $625 price tag was worth it all and now ready for the 2019 season without worries.

Tags
casita, leaks