Casita blackwater knifeblade valve hard to move - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Casita blackwater knifeblade valve hard to move

My 2015 Casita SD17 made it through the winter, but now the blackwater tank's knife-blade valve is getting hard to pull out and push in. I sprayed some silicon lubricant on it, but it did not seem to help much. Maybe I was supposed to grease it, or clean it?

Any suggestions?
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
My 2015 Casita SD17 made it through the winter, but now the blackwater tank's knife-blade valve is getting hard to pull out and push in. I sprayed some silicon lubricant on it, but it did not seem to help much. Maybe I was supposed to grease it, or clean it?

Any suggestions?
Same problem with my 2013 Casita . I had to use 2 hands to open / close the valve. Took both valves out ( Black / grey) disassembled, cleaned and lubricated with silicone grease. I can now open / close the valves with 2 fingers.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Iowa
I would really prefer not to disassemble my blackwater valve. Maybe I could put dishwashing soap and hot water in to the toilet, life the hose connected to the valve, then open the valve. The valve would be submerged in some of the soapy water, and then I could open and close it to clean it. Maybe.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
I would really prefer not to disassemble my blackwater valve. Maybe I could put dishwashing soap and hot water in to the toilet, life the hose connected to the valve, then open the valve. The valve would be submerged in some of the soapy water, and then I could open and close it to clean it. Maybe.
No one wants to disassemble the dump valves on an RV but what happens is that solids get jammed in the track and flushing usually does not work. If the rubber parts of the seal get torn or damaged, the valve needs to be replaced. If I was taking mine apart, I would have a spare handy in case yours needs to be replaced. Any camping supply store should have them in stock.

Disassembly is fairly easy but very messy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Our black water valve was basically clean but the two rubber valve seals had dried out and we're binding on the valve blade .We use the Geo method in our black tank and since soap / detergent is designed to cut / remove oil & grease it dries out the seals.
I am not sure soap and water is going to solve your problem.
They do make black water tank treatment chemicals with additives to lubricate the rubber seal.
It takes less than one hour to pull the valve ,do the necessary repairs / replace the valve and reinstall.
After 5 kids with dirty diapers , changing out the black tank valve was a walk in the park !!.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Iowa
What is the "geo method"?

I used dishwashing soap and hot water, and the valve works again - but I will switch to using something that wont damage it. I will look on Amazon for a valve lubricant.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
PineSol, bleach and other homemade "stuff" dries out seals. If you buy a digester designed for black tanks you typically won't have issues. Taking a valve/gate apart and cleaning/lubricating isn't that big a deal. I've replaced the wax ring for a toilet in my sticks 'n bricks and changed dirty diapers... those were worse.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I would buy a new valve assembly and then disassemble the old valve.
If it is glued in place then leave the part of the valve body which is glued on, do a diligent job of cleaning it, then reassemble with all new parts from there out.
Then discard the left over parts... trust me you will never need them and they are not worth the shelf space.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
PineSol, bleach and other homemade "stuff" dries out seals. If you buy a digester designed for black tanks you typically won't have issues. Taking a valve/gate apart and cleaning/lubricating isn't that big a deal. I've replaced the wax ring for a toilet in my sticks 'n bricks and changed dirty diapers... those were worse.
Hi trying to learn - you speak of a digester, are you speaking of a chemical? On a post many months ago I believe the gentleman said that he had a mascerating pump on his black tank. In my head I was imaging the waste being mascerated as it went into the tank. It seemed like a good idea to me, but I know that this is not a normal feature. Does this make sense?
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just get this stuff and follow the instructions, as in pour it in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Quote:
What is the "geo method"?
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Hi trying to learn - you speak of a digester, are you speaking of a chemical? On a post many months ago I believe the gentleman said that he had a mascerating pump on his black tank. In my head I was imaging the waste being mascerated as it went into the tank. It seemed like a good idea to me, but I know that this is not a normal feature. Does this make sense?
A digester is what Glenn posted. Use a good black water tank chemical.

A mascerating pump is used when pumping out the black water tank.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Geo Method

Many commercial black tank treatment chemicals contain formaldehyde . If you read the label on the bottle of many of these treatments there is a warning / caution label listing that the product is toxic. These chemicals kill the bacteria in septic systems. At several campgrounds where we have stayed, they have a holding tank instead of a septic system / sewer system . There was signs posted saying that if you use chemicals in your tanks do not dump in their holding tanks . Waste which does not contain commercial chemicals can be spread on the ground but waste which contain chemicals has to be trucked to a waste water treatment plants.
We use a mixture of biodegradable soap with a fragrance and calgon . The Geo method does not kill septic bacteria , cause harm when dumped on fields , and is far less toxic than formaldehyde.

*YES , I know that soap or just about anything else is a chemical compound .
Yes , I know that unless someone polices the dump station / sewer
anyone can dump anything at any time. There are always individuals who will cheat or think that they are above the rules but that doesn't make it right.
When we picked up our Casita we were given a bottle of Thetford black tank treatment . Most of the bottle was covered with warning labels. We never used it and chose to dispose of it at a chemical recycling facility but to each their own.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

I've used about five different brands of black water tank chemicals, none contained formaldehyde. All you have to do is read to figure that out. In fact, I think all said in big letters "Does not contain formaldehyde." I don't dump in a field, gutter or anywhere else except where it's "designed" to go....

Several years ago at the Oregon Gathering a couple had a huge mess going on in their black water tank. Wouldn't clear when dumped... had to disconnect a bunch of pipe, etc. Rubber gloves to the arm pits! They had used the Geo method for several years. Obviously that homemade concoction didn't work well for them. I hope it works for you.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I doubt you could find waste tank treatments that contain formaldehyde today.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #16

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I've used about five different brands of black water tank chemicals, none contained formaldehyde. All you have to do is read to figure that out. In fact, I think all said in big letters "Does not contain formaldehyde." I don't dump in a field, gutter or anywhere else except where it's "designed" to go....

Several years ago at the Oregon Gathering a couple had a huge mess going on in their black water tank. Wouldn't clear when dumped... had to disconnect a bunch of pipe, etc. Rubber gloves to the arm pits! They had used the Geo method for several years. Obviously that homemade concoction didn't work well for them. I hope it works for you.
Donna , I don't dump my black tank on fields or in ditches or any place that it is not designed for waste but many of the companies in my area who pump residential septic tanks for a business spread the waste they collect on fields where non agricultural crops are grown.
Waste containing industrial chemicals are not allowed to be spread on fields and must go to a sewage treatment plant..
I stopped at the store today and they had 2 types of black tank chemicals for sale. One said NO formaldehyde and biodegradable ,the other had warning labels all over the bottle . The biodegradable stuff was considerably more expensive . Guess which one most people would buy.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Donna , I don't dump my black tank on fields or in ditches or any place that it is not designed for waste but many of the companies in my area who pump residential septic tanks for a business spread the waste they collect on fields where non agricultural crops are grown.
Waste containing industrial chemicals are not allowed to be spread on fields and must go to a sewage treatment plant..
I stopped at the store today and they had 2 types of black tank chemicals for sale. One said NO formaldehyde and biodegradable ,the other had warning labels all over the bottle . The biodegradable stuff was considerably more expensive . Guess which one most people would buy.
UH?? The one that works?(hopefully)

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Several years ago at the Oregon Gathering a couple had a huge mess going on in their black water tank. Wouldn't clear when dumped... had to disconnect a bunch of pipe, etc. Rubber gloves to the arm pits! They had used the Geo method for several years...
Black tank constipation, go figure...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
I keep a can of good 'ole WD40 in my tool box to spray the T handle stem when necessary. Two quick sprays to the area where the handle stem enters the valve assembly when dumping the tank, one before pulling the handle then another before pushing it in. This distributes the WD40 and works for the entire camping season.

Of course YMMV, depending on your driving and road conditions.
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita