Casita carpet....... Walls and Ceiling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Sherry, did you put it on your walls? I would love to see pic's. See with the Casita, the walls are carpeted. That's what I am trying to find an option for. As far as the floor, I am putting in wood or bamboo. For me carpet and camping don't mix. I am just stuck on what to do for the Casita carpeted ceiling and walls. . Thanks, I will just have to go look at the indoor outdoor carpet options. Just might find something that would work. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Robin,

You can get the foil insulation and rat fur that Scamp uses from Scamp.
I think the rat fur is a Marine product and you can probably find it at Marine suppliers as well.
It would still be a big job but not too bad.
You could probably take the materials to an installer and they could remove and install.

I like Jeanne's idea of doing the wood floor and some of the mods and cleanup, because you might like the blue once you tone it down and it's not all blue.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Robin,

I apologize, at the time I did the refurb, I did not even own a digital camera, so the only pictures that exist are in my memory, and trust me, I wish now I had taken pictures to share with everyone. I encourage you to take your time and explore every possible means of upgrading your Casita. Once mine was completely gutted I entertained the idea of spraying it with bedliner coating, as I have a good friend that owns a spray in bedliner co. and he would have done it for only the cost of the materials. They can make the bedliner material into a wide variety of colors, and I really considered doing it until I looked at an enclosed utility trailer they had done and I got inside and put my hand up against it and it offered zero insulation from the outside temperatures(the walls were hot). I looked at every conceivable fabric(even auto headliner material) but nothing I researched would offer the insulation capabilities of the foil faced bubble pack and the foam backed Casita carpet. The only drawback to having carpeting on the walls and ceiling is that if you plan to cook in your camper the carpeting will absorb the odors and it will be very hard to get out, but I never cook in mine and therefore I made the decision to go back with the carpet. One thing that I researched and you may want to consider is the antifatigue rubber matting that is used for various applications. It is soft,durable, and would have been easy to cut and glue in, just not very pretty to look at. Once again, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide upon and I look forward to seeing the pictures of your mods. If you have any questions, let me know, I have seen every square inch of my trailer, and I also got to watch the production line in Rice Tx. on the several trips I made to get parts, and I saw how they are put together, which greatly helped me during reassembly of my '91SD. Good Luck!
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #24

Jeanne and Steve,

Just now saw your post... Burnt Orange shag carpeting!!!!!!!! Wow, wanna trade campers? I wish they still had that, it would be great down here in Austin(Hook 'em Horns). I guess at the time Casita was trying to show its true Texas UT colors,.....now there's a marketing idea, Casita Collegiate interiors and matching exteriors, I gotta go call Casita now and pitch my new million dollar idea, hmmmm.... maybe they need a new marketing director.
Robin,
Problem solved! Instead of yellow curtains go with the silver/white curtains and blue carpeting and call Jerry Jones and tell him you have the official Cowboys tailgate party camper! He may even send you some free tickets to haul it down here and watch Romo and company in their new stadium next season. LOL

Scott in Texas

Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #25

Scott, Thanks for the encourgement! I keep going back and forth. But I think in the end my decor style sense will win out. Even my lazy Daisy side gets overridden by the ewwwwww, it's blue! I am truely thinking the removal of the blue shag will be one of the hardest parts. If I can figure out what to replace it with, keeping in mind the insulation factor first. I will post pics's if I don't screw it up to bad...... LOL

Geeeeeeeee, Great idea Scott ..................LOL But I am from Colorado, major rival with the Cowboys! So actually I could use Jeanne's orange carpet as well. Robin
Old 06-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #26

Robin,
Don't forget that the carpeting runs behind all the overhead storage areas, and to totally get rid of it you will need to remove the cabinets by drilling out the rivets. In the beginning phases I tried cutting the carpet around the edges of the cabinets/dinette seats/etc., it was a no go, and thats when the decision was made to strip the '91 completely down to the shell. On the plus side if you do this, all interior attached pieces can be reattached to the shell using stainless steel bolts,fender washers and lock nuts, which I believe has been done by others on this forum, and you will never need to worry about broken rivets.

Also, I was just kidding about the Cowboys, I really don't care much for them myself. I am a college football fan first and foremost, because I feel that most of the pro players are overpaid/overhyped prima donna's. just my .02, and incase you're wondering I was born and raised in Dallas, but I used to root for Denver when it was the good old days of Shanahan/Elway/Davis...those were the good 'ol days.

Scott in Texas

Old 06-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I still think you should look into dyeing the carpet.. what can it hurt, if you don't like the way it turns out, then you can still yank it out.

Here's one website/information Google turned up: All About Hand Dyeing Q&A > dye & fiber choice

And here's a place that sells bulk fabric dye... once you know what you might need:
Dhama Trading Company
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #28

Quote:
I feel that most of the pro players are overpaid/overhyped prima donna's. just my .02,

Scott in Texas

Scott, I was kidding as well. I am soooooooo not a football fan for exactly what you said. People are weird here, they decorate their Christmas Tree with Bronco stuff. (huh?) LOL...... You sound like a good friend of mine, she's always sayin Hook em Horns and flippen the sign. I so didn't know what that was about till Dh explained it to me. Alrighty then! bul

Donna, years ago I helped my Mom dye carpet in a Class A. It was so lite and she was like it will never stay clean looking, so we dyed it. It was actually really easy. I just don't know what I am doing yet! Thanks for the link to the bulk dye. Heck I may still go retro for this season, and make the carpet a winter project. Who knows! Robin
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #29

Ok, just got an email from a someone who restores travel trailers. I had sent them an email asking if they did Casita's. He said they hadn't but would be glad to do one. So I asked for ideas to replace the carpet on the walls and ceiling. He of course gave a whole host of ideas, But one he suggeted I kinda liked. He said they could do leather................. Hmmmmm. so what do you think about having a leather ceiling and walls? Of course they would insulate then do a leather finish. Just wanted to get your opinions? Robin
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #30

Leather scratches pretty easily. I have it in one of my rigs. Although I'm not rambunctious in my trailer, I'm glad it has easy care walls. And can you imagine what would happen if you sprung a leak I have a pair of Frye boots that have highwater marks from walking through a rain storm, and they were "waterproofed."

But it sure would be unique!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #31

Unhappy

Donna I hadn't thought about the possibility of a water leak......... Something to think about. But I think like anything else water is going to effect even carpet. Maybe pleather! So you don't get rambunctious in your trailer? Ah come on............ not even just a little?

I like unique! But he also suggested fabric, like tuck and roll/ quilted ................. Kinda makes me think casket! Not ready to go there just yet......................... Robin
Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #32

Quote:
I like unique! But he also suggested fabric, like tuck and roll/ quilted ................. Kinda makes me think casket! Not ready to go there just yet......................... Robin

Actually the Minit has a quilted interior: Interior Vinyl/Insulation Stuff
Old 06-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Fake leather yes; actual leather no -- Mildew... The double foil that Scott used is what Scamp uses between the rat fur and the fiberglass, but the extra foam on the carpet would be good.

If one doesn't have a/c and one's insulated egg is sitting or traveling in the sun, it may get 'heat soaked' and take a long time to cool down at night because it's insulated - Duhh, Pete. A fan (fantastical or endless breeze or whatever) would help tremendously.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #34

Pete, it does have air............. and yes a fan. I was surprised how quick it did cool down with just the fan going. Hadn't thought about heat soaked. Thanks Robin
Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:

Actually the Minit has a quilted interior: Interior Vinyl/Insulation Stuff
Quote:
Hey Gang,

I'm looking for some material that would go inside our camper on the walls. The present stuff is this quilted vinyl over a thin foam insulation... not the most ideal. I've attached a pic of its pattern. Does anyone know where I could go to find something in the ballpark? If I have to, white vinyl would work, but I'm wondering if there's something else.

Thanks!

I searched high and low for this quilted foam that Chris73 was looking for his Minit a few years ago and finally gave up after contacting most of the foam and headliner companies I could find online. Many of the companies never even bothered to return my emails or phone messages. I even sent them photos of the stuff! Numerous others on this forum have tried to find it without success as well. The last time I posted a request for information on this forum seeking out the material others asked that I post where it could be obtained if I located some. My suspicion is the stuff was custom made for a few trailer companies and when these companies folded, production of the quilted-foam-vinyl material ceased as well. And from the FGRV responses I received on my original inquiry, it does not appear that the material was ever widely used.

Although carpeted walls may help insulate your trailer, it is not an option for me since I have 3 very hairy dogs that shed. Personally speaking, the thought of dog hair sticking to carpeted or rat-furred walls does not hold the least bit of appeal for me. I've decided to insulate my Campster with Reflectix and cover it with vinyl. Dog hairs won't stick to vinyl and I appreciate it's wash and wipe cleanability. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale for 50% off at Joann's Fabirics.

Robin, good luck with whatever you decide to do. . . keep the carpet, put on ensolite, or whatever. Your decision will be perfect for your personal tastes and lifestyle!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #36

Lisa, I am so with you on cleanability!

But! I may put the wall and ceiling carpet project on hold....................... Someone had suggested (Sorry can't find who suggested it) that we go check out a rally and see how others re-vamped theirs. Well I think we are going to try and go to the Oregon Rally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pm-d Mike, he has to cancel. He pm-d me back that his site is still available He is sending info. And we are trying to free up the time to go............................. So if this works out. I won't be starting the project till later, I will just have to give it a good cleaning. I am sure we will have the junky-est egg there, But I don't care! I wanna go! They will all just have to forgive us for being newbies. Getting soooooooo excited about going. Our first! So everyone who wanted to see the blue shagy stuff......... You will get your chance there.

Robin
Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #37

Trailer: Play Pac
What about ensolite? Many of the other trailers have this on their walls. It also has an insulating value I believe. You could probably put insulation on first then this...
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
What about ensolite?
Sadly, they don't make it any more and I haven't heard mention of any replacement product -- One would thing there would be a market for soft, pliable but dense foam like that besides egg shells...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Sadly, they don't make it any more and I haven't heard mention of any replacement product -- One would thing there would be a market for soft, pliable but dense foam like that besides egg shells...
Sure looks like the stuff is still made and available to purchase. If you search for ensolite you'll find a bunch of it available.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
It looks that way. Or is this a different product?

Click image for larger version

Name:	grabbedwindow.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	13664
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita