Casita fitting is crumbling...can you identify it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Casita fitting is crumbling...can you identify it?

Hi, I *think* the plumbing vent on my Casita is crumbling. Can someone please tell me:
a) what the piece is and
b) where I can get a replacement?

I live in Canada but can order from the US if need be. Thanks in advance for your help.

** EDIT **
There are louvres that should be covering that hole but they have broken away.
Attached Thumbnails
casita-1.jpg   casita-2.jpg  

lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Check Amazon first. Is that a water tank fill connection or a fresh water hose hookup connection?

Also, Casita probably can sell you the part.

Basically, the plastic parts on the outside of the trailer wear out, get brittle, crack and so on.

RV Fresh water fill spout

RV Fresh water hatch
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

British Columbia
Bill, thanks for the reply. I should've mentioned in my original post that there SHOULD be louvres covering that hole but they have crumbled away.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
OK, that is a battery compartment vent cover:

$2.19 here in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...s%2C149&sr=8-2

Or with the inside piece as well, $7.91

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...s%2C149&sr=8-3
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
You have to be careful separating the inner assembly from the outer louvered cover if they are caulked or butyl taped together. Otherwise you’ll have to buy both the cover and the assembly. I got away with just the cover but had to take my time.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Battery Box???

You didn't mention the year/model for your Casita.

I have a 17' Spirit Deluxe and the battery compartment is on the port side in the back lower corner. The access door has a vent in it and there also is a vent to the battery compartment from the underneath corner of the Casita. My water tank fill is in the back toward the starboard side (in-between the spare tire and the tail light) and my "city water" connection is in the middle of the port side below the belly band toward.

Your picture shows the vent in the middle of the starboard side of the Casita above the belly band. Based on the picture, the caulk doesn't appear to be a "factory quality" installation.......

If your Casita's layout is similar to mine (which doesn't have such a vent), your vent is probably under/behind your sink. Could it be a plumbing revent? If it is a plumbing revent, then the vents that Bill referenced should be fine.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
I have a 2006 sd17 - my city water connection is further forward & lower. My house battery is on the other side.

I think that might be a city water connection. Look inside under your sink - I bet you can see the other side and it should be more obvious.

I really doubt it is a battery vent.

I would post on https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/forums/ -- you will get an answer there.

IT would be helpful to know your model year.

It might be a modification, but since it appears to be under the sink I am guessing it is the city water inlet.
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Given the location and the missing louvers, I believe it's actually a sink vent. Look under the sink cabinet and see if there is a pipe running to it from the sink drain. I don't remember if my Casita had that or not but my vintage Campster does. Sometimes they vent through the roof like the bathroom.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
all the drain vents on my casita SD16 are on the roof.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best pic I can come up with at the moment, but just above the wheel well at about 2 O'clock is a vent on my Escape 17B. It vents the grey water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
door closed.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #11

Here is a cropped version.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 11.11.42 PM.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
You didn't mention the year/model for your Casita.

If your Casita's layout is similar to mine (which doesn't have such a vent), your vent is probably under/behind your sink. Could it be a plumbing revent? If it is a plumbing revent, then the vents that Bill referenced should be fine.
Ah, yes, it's my sink that's on the other side of that vent. Battery compartment is on left rear of trailer under bench seat.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #13

British Columbia
More specific info

Sorry for not posting this earlier: the trailer is a 2001 16' Casita Freedom Deluxe. It has no bathroom and no roof vents aside from the one for the fan.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a deluxe with no bathroom? huh, I thought the 'deluxe' meant came with bath.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #15

British Columbia
Thx for the help, folks. So now I know I'm looking for a grey water vent cover. Any recommendations for where to buy a replacement?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
Thx for the help, folks. So now I know I'm looking for a grey water vent cover. Any recommendations for where to buy a replacement?

Talk to Fraserway RV in Abbotsford. Most likely source.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #17

Name: Anthony
Trailer: 17 ft Spirit Deluxe Casita
Anywhere my Casita is at is home I full-time it
Plumbing Vents and louvers

As far as your question Plumbing Vents and louvers is standard RV equipment kaseta uses the same things as everybody else does as far as the vents you can purchase them at any RV place so usually two or three dollars a piece be sure to get some Putty to go underneath when you put two screws down and then use a self-leveling sealant black dicor or something similar as far as the vent covers or louvers you have to look at the hinge they have three different styles of hinges for the vent covers the Fantastic fans have their own special lid for them check on the warranty for the Fantastic fans that used to be lifetime otherwise are around $50 a piece I hope this helps you I will send the RV business for over 30 years and I've owned to Casita looking to buy my third one
Anthonysherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a deluxe with no bathroom? huh, I thought the 'deluxe' meant came with bath.
It think the deluxe description meant deluxe style cabinet doors
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #19

I had a spirit Deluxe and they both had bathrooms the only thing that I know on a casita that actually crumbles is the vent lids and the plumbing vents even if you have no bathroom you still have a vent pipe on top for your sink and your gray water so explain what the crumbling is UV rays interact with plastic some of the good plastic holds up better than others lexan will not crumble due to UV light but the normal Skylight lid do get riddle and I assumed he was talking about a plumbing vent I need more information about what's crumbling
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 AM   #20

I just assumed he was talking about Plumbing Vents and vent lid assumption it's not always correct to assume something but I thought he was talking like I said let me in advance anyting plastic on the outside of a trailer Plumbing vents vent hood vents even outside lights like a porch light after they will get brittle due to the UV rays you need to get me some more information if that's what it is but it's Spirit Deluxe I've had to and they've all had bathrooms in them but it depends on what the people order it can still be a spirit Deluxe if they ordered without a bath then it won't have one need more information thank you I'll be glad to help I was in the RV business for thirty years like I said I've owned to Casita and looking for a third thank you and have a great day phone number if you like it is 662-380-0655 Anthony Sherwood

Tags
casita