Casita gray & black tanks. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: Casita
California
Question Casita gray & black tanks.

I am staying in Wawona for the winter as a volunteer. I need to go home next Mon-Wed. The temp on the 2 nights is projected to be 35 degrees. Should I put anti-freeze in the black & gray tanks after removing all the water? I have a skirt around the bottom of the trailer and a 700 watt heater underneath. I am concerned about leaving any heat source on for the two days I’m away. So far the temp under the trailer has never been below 36 degrees, but I use a propane heater on a thermostat or a space heater when I’m there. The temp during the days is in the 50’s and at night high 30’s to low 40’s at night. Thanks!
Lorijoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijoan View Post
I am staying in Wawona for the winter as a volunteer. I need to go home next Mon-Wed. The temp on the 2 nights is projected to be 35 degrees. Should I put anti-freeze in the black & gray tanks after removing all the water? I have a skirt around the bottom of the trailer and a 700 watt heater underneath. I am concerned about leaving any heat source on for the two days I’m away. So far the temp under the trailer has never been below 36 degrees, but I use a propane heater on a thermostat or a space heater when I’m there. The temp during the days is in the 50’s and at night high 30’s to low 40’s at night. Thanks!
I would not be concerned at 35 deg or at 32 deg for that matter nor would I spend the money on antifreeze . Your plumbing is not going to freeze and damage anything
We are experiencing temps in the low 30’s up here in the North which is referred to as a heat wave
Well heading back outside to enjoy the nice weather and shovel some snow .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For my peace of mind I would disconnect the water hose, if there is one, push in the check valve at the hose connection with the faucets open to drain some water out of the lines. I would dump some RV antifreeze in the sink traps and drain the gray tank. Don't leave the dump valves open if connected to sewer. I do agree with Steve that you probably have nothing to worry about, but the weather can change unexpectedly. RV antifreeze is cheap.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #4

California
Thank you that’s a great help!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

California
Thank you!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
DO NOT push in the check valve at the city water connection on your trailer. This will ruin it and make it inoperable.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
DO NOT push in the check valve at the city water connection on your trailer. This will ruin it and make it inoperable.
Can you advise of any documentation to support this statement?

With the pump off, as long as you don't dislodge or damage the O-ring I fail to see how pushing in the check valve will damage it. After all, when you hook up a hose the water pressure pushes it in all the time. Of course if you jam a ice pick or something like that in you probably will damage the sealing O-ring, but pushing in the plastic center with a finger should be OK. Lots of people do this to get water in the line to drain (where the capillary action would otherwise leave water in the line near the valve or in the valve). Others use air pressure to do the same thing, and that pushes in the valve also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
Gordan, you are correct. The concern is using something that dislodges or damages that o-ring. It must be done correctly.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Gordan [actually Gordon, ed.], you are correct. The concern is using something that dislodges or damages that o-ring. It must be done correctly.
OK thanks for the clarification.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita