Casita in Desert Heat - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
I am moving to Arizona, south of Tucson. Will the high temperatures be a problem for my 1995 16' Casita? Thanks. Winnie
Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Will the high temperatures be a problem for my 1995 16' Casita?
Not for the first week in December

But seriously folks.. I would think it would be, yes. I have only had mine in the Pheonix area, and that was in may.. it still was too hot.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
No problem as long as your TT has air conditioning! A big problem if you have to rely on a Fantastic Fan and temps reach into the 90's.
Air conditioning will be required, just as it will be for your car and home.
Somethings in life are optional, if Phoenix is not, then neither is AC, IMHO.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')

We lived in Tucson for 2 years in the 70's. I would say about 7 months are hot, April thru October. The hottest of these are mostly in the 90's with some runs of days in the 100's. After about the first of July the humidity gets higher with clouds, virga and occasional rain (monsoon season). You want to have air conditioning!

As far as the Casita goes, you would be wise to store it under a canopy or roof. There are nice places to go for camping in the higher elevations of Arizona and New Mexico that would offer some relief from the heat. We had a truck camper and small children then. I'm not sure I would be as tolerant of the heat now that I am older.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Winnie, that's a great area you're moving to. I spent about eighteen months at Fort Huachuca (Sierra Vista) in 69-70 courtesy of Uncle Sam and really enjoyed the Sonoran desert environment. My wife and I still love to visit whenever we get a chance and decided that's about the only part of the country we'd ever consider leaving eastern NC for.

It does get hot during the day at the lower elevations but the mountains are never far away and offer a great escape from the heat. Having lived in the south all our lives, 90+ temps and high humidity are commonplace so the southwest doesn't require much of an adjustment for us.

We camp a lot on NC's Outer Banks where there's seldom any shade and the temperatures are comparable to what you'll find in southern AZ. Although we have AC and a generator on our Scamp we usually get by with a $20 Wal-Mart floor fan wired into
an inverter. Can't run the genset during quiet hours at the NPS campgrounds anyway.

I'd keep good coat of wax on that Casita to minimize the effects of the sun and enjoy it every minute I could. Keep us posted on your adventures once you relocate. Where will you be moving to? There's not much between Tucson and Sierra Vista IIRC.

Al & Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Welcome to the desert. No hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, hardly any floods, just a lot of heat, which is much better than a lot of cold!

A/Cs really are needed in these small trailers when in the heat, unless you've got lots of fans. You might want to join or check out the Desert Eggs. We hold rallys frequently at different campgrounds around Arizona, including a very nice one near your new home at Lake Patagonia.

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote