Casita License plate costs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
A couple of weeks ago we purchased the 2006 Casita Liberty Deluxe in Nevada. We live in Colorado so now I have to pay that ridiculous sales tax (8.1%) on the purchase price.

The problem is, I can't remember how much the plates cost back when I had my 2000 Freedom Casita and when I called the DOM to get an idea of costs, they said it could be around $180 for the plates. I was stunned.

Can any of you that live in Colorado, and have a Casita, share with me what your Casita year and model is and what your plates cost. They told me they do "comparables" in establishing the price. I didn't even pay that much for the Bigfoot plates.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Hey, K
I only had to pay the state portion of the tax when I purchased trailer and tv out of state, not county and city portions. May be different now, though, because the legislators we send to the Colorado Clown College do lots of crazy things.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Hey, K
I only had to pay the state portion of the tax when I purchased trailer and tv out of state, not county and city portions. May be different now, though, because the legislators we send to the Colorado Clown College do lots of crazy things.
Thanks for the input, George. I'm hoping that digbat I talked to on the phone, the other day, didn't know what she was talking about. I'm going to have to dig back in my files and see if I can find what I paid for the other 2 trailers.

Do you remember what you paid for your plates, this last time?

EKW
Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the input, George. I'm hoping that digbat I talked to on the phone, the other day, didn't know what she was talking about. I'm going to have to dig back in my files and see if I can find what I paid for the other 2 trailers.

Do you remember what you paid for your plates, this last time?

EKW
I guess not many had any info for me. I went ahead and got the title and liscence done yesterday and it was almost $900 for both. Plates alone were about $115. Just an FYI for y'all.

EKW
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just to let you know, the long arm of the tax police extends all over. We had to pay a similar county tax in Cook County (Chicago) for the trailers we purchased out of Cook County. The license is cheap ($18 per year), but the sales taxes were really high. Title was about $65.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nothing is cheap anymore. I got a custom plate for my trailer... that's one plate: $53.00 + registration $121.50 = $174.50.... every TWO years.

Do other states charge registration by the FOOT like Oregon?
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
In Quebec, Canada , all trailer or rv under 3,000 pounds have a permanent plate and the cost is $87.00

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I've got PTI (permament trailer identification) plates on my Compact II when I licensed it in CA. It cost 20.00 the first time and only 10.00 every five years to renew. Trailer must be 16ft or less measured from hitch to rear body of trailer.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Nothing is cheap anymore. I got a custom plate for my trailer... that's one plate: $53.00 + registration $121.50 = $174.50.... every TWO years.

Do other states charge registration by the FOOT like Oregon?
Hey Donna,

I asked, yesterday, how they came up with the Plate price for the Casita. She said they use the vehicle year, weight, and Tax Valuation. The TV they get from some data base somewhere. You know, sometimes I just get worn down with all this Bureaucratic BS and just give in a pay it. I guess thats what they count on.

It's more obvious every day, to me, that the vast majority of politicians couldn't care less about the little guy out here, Regardless of what they say. Our Colorado Legislators just approved raising the vehicle registration fees by over $125 over the next 3 years and have quietly raised the late fees by a factor of 10. Yet......they really care.

I've about had it.

OK, now I'm off the soap box for now.

EKW
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
In Virginia a Permanent Plate can be purchased for any trailer for a one time fee of 50 bucks and if you want it personalized it costs an additional one time fee of 10 bucks. But you also have to pay local yearly Personal Property Taxes which are not cheap. In South Dakota cost depends on how old the trailer or vehicle is. My 2005 Nissan Titan and 2007 Airstream cost around 150 bucks when I renewed last year and that included 24 bucks of Wheel Tax - 4 per wheel. But no Personal Property Taxes so I like it lot better there than Virginia! I'm a fulltimer by the way.
Al M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Renewal on my '99 was $46.49. My experience is that many eastern states base the fee on weight and western states favor fees based on the vehicle value. The western states being more expensive. Fifty states, fifty sets of laws.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
In Missouri we pay Sales Tax when we first get and Title any vehicle to the tune of between 5-10 percent depending on your county.
We can however deduct the price we sell the former vehicle for that the new one replaces as long as it is within a 3 month window I think.

This of course may make for some creative sales receipts.....from what I hear?

Then we pay for plates every year or two for cars and three for trailers and of course we also pay yearly personal property tax.
Oh and we only get to renew each time after buying seperate Safety and Emissions inspections too!

I rarely pay less or near $1000.00 yearly but I do have several vehicles.

Many of my clients have home in Florida and title their vehicles there where they do not pay PPT.

It seems excessive to me.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Minnesota
Plates and title $45.25 Oct 2007

Plates each year $12.00
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Hey Donna,

I asked, yesterday, how they came up with the Plate price for the Casita. She said they use the vehicle year, weight, and Tax Valuation. The TV they get from some data base somewhere. You know, sometimes I just get worn down with all this Bureaucratic BS and just give in a pay it. I guess thats what they count on.

It's more obvious every day, to me, that the vast majority of politicians couldn't care less about the little guy out here, Regardless of what they say. Our Colorado Legislators just approved raising the vehicle registration fees by over $125 over the next 3 years and have quietly raised the late fees by a factor of 10. Yet......they really care.

I've about had it.

EKW
Sounds like you need to move south, Keith. I bought my Casita in AZ last fall and it cost $204.35 for tax and registration when I got back to Silver City.

When you go in to register, take Jake with you. If they aren't cooperative, sic Jake on them.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
you think 8% is bad? in nova scotia we pay 13% on everything. the best part is when you buy a used car from joe blow or anyone, from a dealer or from a private sale, the gov't wants you to pay 13% tax to them , on the price you paid for the car!! they get you at registration with your bill of sale...this leads to some creative bills of sale...like i bought my toyota pickup, for $1000, and the guy was nice enough to throw in the mudflaps and stereo for $3200 which is not taxable....
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
I've about had it.

EKW
You folks should be thankful that you don't get all the government you pay for!

Of course, that may not apply to Nova Scotia and Canada.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Sounds like you need to move south, Keith. I bought my Casita in AZ last fall and it cost $204.35 for tax and registration when I got back to Silver City.

When you go in to register, take Jake with you. If they aren't cooperative, sic Jake on them.

Sounds like a plan to move south. Jake is getting really wierd of late so he might do the trick. He is getting real hard of hearing and can't see real well and I really think he panics when Shirley is out of his sight and hearing. Poor little guy is a great pet but on the downhill, I'm afraid.

I need to call you sometime soon, but I lost your contact info in my problem yesterday. Do you still have my personal info?

EKW
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't stop in Georgia -- I dunno how they price trailer tags, but their automobile tags are based on Blue Book values every year, like many states do.

Washington got so bad that just a few years ago, there was a citizen's initiative that ripped the guts out of the old system and went to much smaller, and reasonable, amounts (Problem there was the onerous registration fees were part of the revenues supporting a large number of things like the ferry system and the state parks, so there has been a lot of budgetary scrambling!).

Also, keep your original documents on how much sales tax was paid when acquiring a vehicle or trailer because if you move to a new state they may want the difference between the tax rate for the old state and new state, depending on the laws in the new state.

For FullTimers in BulgeMobile motor homes or trailers with large, expensive tugs, this can be a large sum of money so it pays to do one's homework.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Sounds like a plan to move south. Jake is getting really wierd of late so he might do the trick. He is getting real hard of hearing and can't see real well and I really think he panics when Shirley is out of his sight and hearing. Poor little guy is a great pet but on the downhill, I'm afraid.

I need to call you sometime soon, but I lost your contact info in my problem yesterday. Do you still have my personal info?

EKW
Too bad about Jake, he's a good dog for a poodle.

I'll send you an email at comcast.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I just received the yearly tabs for our 82, 16ft Scamp with an original cost of $6125 for a grand total of $36.75. Sales tax on purchases in our area is 8.25 percent.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, license, registration, title