Casita referigerator replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: TERESA
Trailer: 13' Casita
Florida
Casita referigerator replacement

Hi. I have a 1992, 13' Casita. The refrigerator (Dometic RM 2190) is no longer working. I am looking for a replacment. I looked through the A-Z Guide and it did not mention my model. I looked on Dometic's web site and they recommend RM2193 model. On Amazon it sells for just over $600. I don't know how comfortable I'd feel ordering something like that, having it delivered, and then finding someone to install it. I then looked at Camping World. I found one on their site that is a Norcold 1.7, which the dimensions are slightly smaller than the one I have now. It is on sale for $559, plus I'd probably have to drive 1 1/2 hours north to have it installed. I'm totally new to this, so do you all have any suggestions, recommendations? Have any of you had that particular model and had to replace it? Thanks for your help.

Teresa
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Get 2193 and install it yourself or ask your neighbour for help. It's not a rocket science. You will get a nice modern 3-way fridge.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Shop the internet and print the best, lowest price seller's offer and ask Camping World to match it or just order the unit from Amazon. Dometic would be my brand of choice and as Sergey said, it's not hard to install. Camping World appears to have high labor prices and anyone with basic mechanical skills can do this job.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
New fridge

Contact Larry at Little House Customs and tell him what you need. Then take a road trip/ vacation to Texas. Larry will treat you right and the job will be done correctly. I could be wrong but I think the fridge has to go in through the rear window.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Contact Larry at Little House Customs and tell him what you need. Then take a road trip/ vacation to Texas. Larry will treat you right and the job will be done correctly. I could be wrong but I think the fridge has to go in through the rear window.
Steve
The hardest part of my refrigerator replacement was getting the new unit through the door. The old unit came out easily with the use of a sawzall, but to get the new one in required some disassembly of the door and interior dinette and counter.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Florida
Thank you. Looks like I'll probably do that, but there is no way I'll try to install it myself. I'll have to have someone else do it.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Steve
Seriously? Through the back window? Well, looks like I will call Larry and see how to go about this. Thanks for that suggestion. I could definitely have him do a few things while I'm there.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Seriously? Through the back window? Well, looks like I will call Larry and see how to go about this. Thanks for that suggestion. I could definitely have him do a few things while I'm there.
You might want to call Casita and ask them based on your trailer model what the procedure is for removing the fridge. Its not uncommon to have to take out a window to do it .... but if the fridge is small enough it may be you just need to take the door off of it. Check the width of your door and size specs on what you have.

If you have to take a window out to remove it, it may not be a bad thing as due to the age of your trailer it may be time to reseal the window anyways.

Forgot to mention that you may also want to price just a 2 way - electrical and propane as the DC function due to the power draw is something I know I never use. My new trailer has just a 2 way and I am very happy with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This may be a tough one. Casita went to a large rear window in 2003 all because of the refrigerator. You're really going to need to pay attention to the measurements.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
And I have wondered, Donna, if it also coincided with when they switched from a standard RV door to the one with rounded top corners that is more reminiscent of the doors on their 13 and 16 foot models. And, come to think of it, it's just the 17 footers with the problem of the fridge being too big to come in through the door, right?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

What I referenced was for the 2003 17' Casitas. But I've been given to understand all rear windows on all models changed at that time. The curve top door actually changed to flat top in 1995, then changed back to curved top in 2001.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What I referenced was for the 2003 17' Casitas. But I've been given to understand all rear windows on all models changed at that time. The curve top door actually changed to flat top in 1995, then changed back to curved top in 2001.
Interesting Donna. I wanted the curved top flat door and wanted to narrow down my search. I called Casita to find out when they changed to radial cornered flat doors and no one could give me a year. Go figure .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Interesting Donna. I wanted the curved top flat door and wanted to narrow down my search. I called Casita to find out when they changed to radial cornered flat doors and no one could give me a year. Go figure .
I cheated, I looked up the information on the CasitaForum, no way I'd remember all this stuff. If you want to know when changes to the 17' happened, Gene keeps excellent notes. But, you have to be a member of the CasitaForum to read it. Joining there is simple.

Casita 17' Factory Changes - Upgrades over previous years for the 17' models: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ctory-changes/
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #14
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Well, I know they were using the standard RV door in 1999 (but wonder about getting the fridge out if/when that's ever needed); and I also don't think they made the 17 footer prior to 1995 - all of which is neither here nor there to the OP, who's asking about replacing the fridge in a 13.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Well, I know they were using the standard RV door in 1999 (but wonder about getting the fridge out if/when that's ever needed); and I also don't think they made the 17 footer prior to 1995 - all of which is neither here nor there to the OP, who's asking about replacing the fridge in a 13.
Right, 1995 first year for the 17'. This is Gene's info:
First 17' Casita produced and are rare (I have actually seen and been in one and was verified by the factory)
Early ones had rounded entrance door top like later model Casitas, later ones changed to square door with silver trim
Early ones had stove and oven, oven was deleted later in the year

Maybe this conversion chart will help the OP, when it comes to size: http://americanrvcompany.com/assets/...ementChart.pdf
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Washington
Taking the window out is not very complicated or difficult if that is what's necessary. It is a 2 person job.One inside and one outside.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Taking the window out is not very complicated or difficult if that is what's necessary. It is a 2 person job.One inside and one outside.
I believe the 13' and 16' Casitas have fixed plexiglass rear windows. They're trickier to remove and replace, by most accounts.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Teresa,

You said your current one is no longer working but have you had an RV tech evaluate it? After seeing the above comments regarding issues involved in removing and installing a new one, you will want to be real, real sure it has to be replaced and not just repaired. If not, you should seriously consider that before just buying and dealing with the cost, modifications and contortions necessary for installing a new one.

My 1983 Dometic 211 still works fine in all three modes, so the age of your 1992 alone doesn’t make it a candidate for automatic replacement, only if an RV tech issues a death certificate for it.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita