Casita Refrigerators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I've heard from several people now that if the fridge in an"older" model goes bad it can't be pulled out--it was installed "permanantly", I guess. Sounds like a serious design flaw. How this been anyone else's experience? Can someone tell me what year they changed the design to eliminate the problem? Do Scamps have the same problem? Thanks for any advice you can give me regarding this issue and any others you can think of. I'm a true believer in educating myself throughly before going through with a purchase.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I think there might be just a little confusion on this issue. From what I understand this may have been the case on some of the older 17's that had the large fridge. Supposedly, that is why Casita put in a larger window in the back of the 17 so it could be removed if necessary. I don't know this for a fact, but that is what I've heard.

Since I have an '89 (16') and may have to replace the original fridge, I have checked. Mine can be replaced with the same sized unit.

If it concerns you, you can call Casita at 1-800-442-9986 and they can give you quickest & best answer.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thanks, Suz! By the way, I heard nice things about you at the Rally, was told you are very informed on things. Maybe someday we'll meet. Do you know what model year the window size was changed? And thanks for the Casita number--I never thought to call them since I'm not buying new, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering a few questions! Appreciate it!

Quote:
I think there might be just a little confusion on this issue. From what I understand this may have been the case on some of the older 17's that had the large fridge. Supposedly, that is why Casita put in a larger window in the back of the 17 so it could be removed if necessary. I don't know this for a fact, but that is what I've heard.

Since I have an '89 (16') and may have to replace the original fridge, I have checked. Mine can be replaced with the same sized unit.

If it concerns you, you can call Casita at 1-800-442-9986 and they can give you quickest & best answer.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
And thanks for the Casita number--I never thought to call them since I'm not buying new, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering a few questions! Appreciate it!
No problem. As I said, I'm only guessing based on things that I've heard or read. I'd call Casita if I were you. If you can, talk to Jay or anyone else that knows parts and has been around a while. In the beginning, I called them a lot and they were really helpful. Several differences between my older one and the newer ones. When I got mine, there weren't very many ( that I knew of) that were around for help, so I had to learn as I went along. I found out two things: 1) Even[b] I can do most of the work and 2) the more I learn the less I know!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Lisa - I believe the window change occurred in 2003. We took delivery in July of 2003 and have the larger window. Several Casita owners, at the time, mentioned that we have a larger window, so I'm pretty sure that 2003 was the year of the window change. But like everything, I would think that it depends on the day that it was completed.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I think Kurt & Ann K have a Casita that has the large frige and small back window... He told me about this problem... theirs is a 2000 17' Freedom.

Since 16' Casitas have smaller friges, none of them have this problem.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
You are correct Frederick. Fortunately most RV refridgerators are like those at home, keep the working parts reasonably clean and they last for years and years. They are also fairly accessible for service if something does go wrong. You better be satisfied with what you have though, because changing to a different model is going to present a serious headache.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita