Casita Stolen..these are not words i want to hear! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: '04 casita 17' spirit deluxe, 17' Bigfoot
Utah
Casita Stolen..these are not words i want to hear!

O.K. we finally hit the jackpot (and believe me we have paid our dues!) a 2004 casita 17 spirit deluxe from wonderful man named craig in sisters oregon. We are so excited we can hardly stand it. Just put in the brake controller (you can do it) myself on my o4 grand cherokee. We can put our kayaks on the cherokee and we put a bike rack on the back of the trailer. Wow! Wow! Wow! we are heading to Ariz any day now from bend down I-5 (any must do's or stay's appreciated) Now comes the question...

Recently there seems to be a string of thefts from seattle to L.A. right in their drive way in front of their home a chalet gone in the night and this is Seattle folks.

So I know if they want it they will get it but i at least want to make it as difficult as possible. I have the tongue ball lock. What else can i do like a simple alarm or something to block the wheels when i am gone.. i mean we are staying near the border and it could be gone in 60 seconds, any ideas would be appreciated. It would hurt bad if we lost it.
zinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh my... you had be goin' there for a minute. Here's one idea: Heavy Duty Wheel Lock - Boot Wheel Lock
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

Utah
Thank you lil' darlin you got me thinkin, i went out in the garage and found one my hudge old classic club bars ya know went across the steering wheel. Well is just so happens it will nicely go nicely trough the spoke in my casita wheel and lock. Easy to put on and off and Free! If it does not stop 'em it sure will create a horrible racket going down the road. Now as long as i don't forget to take it off.....Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #4

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
I used a heavy duty chain and lock around the tire and axle and locked up the receiver and chains. I think one of the keys is where you park - out of sight from passer bys. I use a storage units' parking space with a gate and key pad - only 3 RVs there. So, the number of people looking to steal a RV are few.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is an electronic option that is not too expensive. I use this on my greyhound as the breed has a tendency to chase and chase and chase and we have lots of deer here in Michigan.

The first link is the device, the size of a couple packs of gum. You interface with it through a computer or smartphone. The second link is a 12 volt adapter so you can power it off the trailer battery. Ongoing service is $50 a year - a buck a week. I've seen the device on sale for $136.

The added bonus is that your friends can follow your travels on line.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...min%2Bgtu%2B10

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87417
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #6

Utah
Thank you --you guys are awsome!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I knew an airstream Bambi owner that would put an official looking sign in several windows when it was stored that simply warned would be borrowers, "Warning Aids-HIV Infected - Do Not Enter" . Don't know if it helped or not, but it was never broken into or stolen. Sez he did the same thing when overnighting in some rest stops.

I see you are headed for a southern border, better put it in spanish as well.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I knew an airstream Bambi owner that would put an official looking sign in several windows when it was stored that simply warned would be borrowers, "Warning Aids-HIV Infected - Do Not Enter" . ...........
I bet this made him a popular guy at rallies.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

When among friends I am sure he removed them. But others did ask for copies after he showed them off.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I knew an airstream Bambi owner that would put an official looking sign in several windows when it was stored that simply warned would be borrowers, "Warning Aids-HIV Infected - Do Not Enter" . Don't know if it helped or not, but it was never broken into or stolen. Sez he did the same thing when overnighting in some rest stops.

I see you are headed for a southern border, better put it in spanish as well.....
Someone's likely to burn it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't know what the OP is worried about. If you're worried about the theft while parked in your driveway/storage or while out in a campground.
Most problems by far occur when a trailer in parked in an urban location. When parked out in a campground or even a dispersed camp site the odds, well I've never heard of one come up missing from a remote location.

When mine is parked in it's home nest, there's another vehicle parked in front of it. Also it's somewhat hidden behind a board fence.

When out at a campsite, I put a hitch lock on it and not worry.

If a person obsesses too much over it the purpose is defeated. Relax, enjoy, and not worry.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry The FALSE implications of that sign are offensive to me

Quote:
I knew an airstream Bambi owner that would put an official looking sign in several windows when it was stored that simply warned would be borrowers, "Warning Aids-HIV Infected - Do Not Enter" . Don't know if it helped or not, but it was never broken into or stolen.

I shared this on my Facebook Page
Click image for larger version

Name:	46198_4435509480859_1423375719_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	53341

MY PARTNER ROBERT IS AN AIDS SURVIVOR
We have been together for over 24 years and he has been a survivor since before we met.
I remain HIV negative, and believe me we have done more together than just entered our trailer.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
When you use a chain to go around the wheel and axle, don't use the padlock to hook the two ends together. I tried this on mine, and the locking mechanism was easily broken by jerking the trailer. Instead, get a chain where you can put one end link through the other one. Then you just put the padlock through the one link and it can't come out. That relies on the strength of the padlock hoop instead of the locking mechanism. Throw in high grade chain (bolt cutters and hacksaws won't touch mine), and you're fairly safe.

I also use a ball lock, and wrap the safety chains around the hitch and padlock them so they can't be used to drag the trailer.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #14

Utah
keep in mind i just got my first trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't know what the OP is worried about. If you're worried about the theft while parked in yoi r driveway/storage or while out in a campground.
Most problems by far occur when a trailer in parked in an urban location. When parked out in a campground or even a dispersed camp site the odds, well I've never heard of one come up missing from a remote location.

When mine is parked in it's home nest, there's another vehicle parked in front of it. Also it's somewhat hidden behind a board fence.

When out at a campsite, I put a hitch lock on it and not worry.

If a person obsesses too much over it the purpose is defeated. Relax, enjoy, and not worry.
i am a newbie, i am thinking about when i leave it in a campground somewhere, maybe remote. That is precisely why i will take precautions, i don,t want to worry. I would rather be sure than sorry. I have had friends lose kayaks and bikes. I'll pass on the aids idea!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

I apologize for having offended anyone with my last post.
As I think most of us know, what the sign sez is a medical impossibility anyway.
I believe that the intent of the sign was to scare away the less informed bad guys.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thank you for your apology Bob

Quote:
As I think most of us know, what the sign sez is a medical impossibility anyway.
I'm also sorry. As Franklin Roosevelt said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I would prefer not to spread it around, even in the belief it might work as a theft prevention tool; It usually doesn't.

I have 2 locks on my coupler, and 2 locking chocks between my dual axle wheels, one for each side. There is also a doorknob lockset paired with a deadbolt lock on the door. (The red bungee is for keeping the door closed going down the road)
Attached Thumbnails
BAL chock.jpg   Trailer Hitch.jpg  

Door Bungee.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From what I've seen in all the years I've been camping, trailer or tent, you're more likely to have stuff grow legs when at home or in storage. There are some exceptions. A few years ago at the crowded coastal state campgrounds there was a lot of theft. Usually stuff like stoves, beer cooler, etc. Another spot I had a fishing tackle box grow legs. I all the above cases the campgrounds were crowded with people that were usually loud and partying.

So one precaution is to avoid the places where everybody want to go unless you're with a large group. I still avoid the coastal state campgrounds. Some lake campgrounds can be pretty bad too, so I avoid those to some extent too, not always. National Parks and National Forests except National Forest campgrounds on popular lakes. Look at the web site and if the usage is heavy then you consider someplace else if you don't know the area.

When actually in camp I have a Bal tire leveler that I put under one tire even if the pad is level. This keeps the trailer from rolling and makes it a bit more difficult to pull the trailer away. I also use the same tongue locking method Fredrick uses.

I also try to get to know the neighbors, i.e. get them to know who belongs with my trailer. Most campers at least attempt to watch out for their fellow campers. RV Campers generally are middle to upper middle class income, so they have what they need or desire so they're not a threat.

I hope this eases your mind a bit.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post

I shared this on my Facebook Page
Attachment 53341

MY PARTNER ROBERT IS AN AIDS SURVIVOR
We have been together for over 24 years and he has been a survivor since before we met.
I remain HIV negative, and believe me we have done more together than just entered our trailer.
Congrats guys..for being survivor to Robert...Frederick for being a beleaver in your partner and to you BOTH for being partners for 24 years.

Oh and one more thing glad to have great guys like you two as my friends....I hope to be able to see you both in person someday.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita