Casita trailer brakes missing...need advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Casita trailer brakes missing...need advice

My 98 16' LD bought a few weeks ago had the electric brake wires cut on the backside of each backing plate.
Today, I pulled each wheel and drum off to find: no brakes present on either side! Both 10 in drums/hubs are rusty on inner sides (as well as outside) but no signs of any wear markings. Both backing plates are also rusted heavily and as mentioned, there are no shoes, springs, magnets or anything else present to indicate whether brakes were ever present.
I do want brakes but wonder if I can/should try to have the drums and plates salvaged by a shop like uhaul or somewhere else or just order new sets from etrailer.
Any suggestions?

GEDC0208
GEDC0206
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I just order the whole assemblies (minus drums) whenever brakes are shot, as that way magnets, brake pads, springs, clips, etc. are all new. Just requires removal of 4 nuts and it all comes off completely. Bolt on the new, grease the bearings and replace the seal, and connect the brake wires.....you're done.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Do you trust your local UHaul ?

I have a local trailer supply business that I trust, so if I were in your place I'd take it to them for disassembly, inspection, cleaning and re-installation of the missing parts.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Complete brake assemblys for 10" brakes can be purchased from Eastern Marine for about $30 a wheel or you can upgrade to "self adjusting" for $40 a wheel. These assemblys consist of new backing plates, shoes, springs and magnets. You'll probably need new nuts to attach the plates to the axle. All the parts and freight shouldn't be more than $120 with freight. Tighten 4 nuts and splice wires and that is about it. You should be able to clean up the drums unless they are really rusty. Eastern Marine has drums and hubs if you need them. You probably have a Dexter distibutor in your area. Check the Dexter website. The local Dexter distributor would be an excellent source and no shipping charge.

If you haven't done so yet, check your wheel bearings.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There as a left and right assembly so if you decide to do this yourself be sure you order the correct parts.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
There as a left and right assembly so if you decide to do this yourself be sure you order the correct parts.
When I had ordered my replacements from Scamp, I was told that the "leading arm configuration vs. a trailing arm suspensions will require the "left" to be placed on the "right" side of the trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If your not mechanically inclined any mechanic can replace the brake assemblies for you.
Order the brake assemblies yourself and have the brake drums cleaned up, turned, by a brake shop.
They are no different than auto brakes other than being electric vs. hydraulic.
RV shops will rip you off.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Thanks for all suggestions. I'll see how difficult it will be to remove those 4 rusted nuts holding on the backing plates.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, casita