Casita unhitching while driving - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not only do ball hitches come unhooked but more commonly fifth wheel do also. Having worked in the RV repair field I have seen MANY TVs with the double dents in the top of the box rails. Usually from the driver backing onto the pin and having the jaws close around the bottom of the pin and then not visually checking it out. Duh!
Saying this, we had one time we dropped one on the shop truck. On investigation we found the hitch was faulty and notified the maker. Feces occurs.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hey! did anyone else notice that strange ball in the video in post 13?
What's with the threaded collar? Seems like it would prevent the tongue from moving in an a vertical arch, like entering a driveway or going over a speed bump.
I assumed that was just for demo purposes. When adjusting the coupler nut, I take the whole ball mount off the vehicle, pop the ball into the coupler, and latch it. The ball mount gives me something to hold onto while I move the ball inside the coupler. I tighten the nut until it binds, then back off until I can still feel a slight resistance but no binding.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #23

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Quote:
What's with the threaded collar? Seems like it would prevent the tongue from moving in an a vertical arch, like entering a driveway or going over a speed bump.
I assumed that was just for demo purposes. When adjusting the coupler nut, I take the whole ball mount off the vehicle, pop the ball into the coupler, and latch it. The ball mount gives me something to hold onto while I move the ball inside the coupler. I tighten the nut until it binds, then back off until I can still feel a slight resistance but no binding.
Great advice!! I never thought about the need to adjust the coupling latch...

I do, however, follow Glenn's procedure (post #10 above) to use the TT's tongue jack to attempt to raise the TT after I (think I) locked it onto the hitch ball. When I see that the back of the TV is being raised up, I know that I haven't done the equivalent of locking the latch before dropping it onto the ball.

Here is another technique to verify that the TT is locked onto the TV's hitch ball.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #24

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks, everyone! I will add the safety check onto my list -- raise the trailer until you start to raise the TV to be sure you are really hitched. I think I do need to adjust the coupler because it has been a little flaky already. So helpful to have you all to ask!
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Thanks, everyone! I will add the safety check onto my list -- raise the trailer until you start to raise the TV to be sure you are really hitched. I think I do need to adjust the coupler because it has been a little flaky already. So helpful to have you all to ask!

I wouldn't mess with the coupler unless you find there is an issue when jacking up as suggested.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
One of the first things I did when I got home with my new escape was to replace the hitch with a Bulldog. I don't feel safe with anything less.

Walt
Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #27

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
If the latch catches on top of the ball the latch handle will not latch down. Try it sometime. I would bet improperly adjusted latch was the problem. This adjustment will even makeup for wear. I find it hard to believe wear to be a problem.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #28

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Check the nylock nut on the bottom of the latch mechanism(looking up in coupler) . This is how you adjust how tightly the locking mechanism grabs the ball If loosened up won't grab .I like mine a little tight. Makes it a bit harder to work the locking lever. Will increase ball wear, so I do liberally lube my ball.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #29

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Unhitched

Oh, great, every time I tow my 17-footer now I'll be wondering if it'll come unhitched! I can't imagine how scary that would be.

As usual, there's so much great advice here. My routine is to hitch the trailer to my Jeep, then by hand I shake the whole connection sideways, then up and down, and every other way I can think of, until I hear that telltale "click" of mission accomplished. To make sure, though, I get in my Jeep, then inch forward-then-backward, applying the Jeep brakes abruptly each direction in case the connection still isn't in place. That last step is probably overkill, but it makes me feel better, so I do it.

We all have our own routine, but the end goal is the same. How you get there to ensure you, your TV, and your precious FGRV are all safe and secure is the way you should do it. (After checking in with Fiberglass RV folks for great advice, of course. )
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
My routine is to hitch the trailer to my Jeep, then by hand I shake the whole connection sideways, then up and down, and every other way I can think of, until I hear that telltale "click" of mission accomplished.
With around 350-400# of tongue weight, I doubt you can put enough upward force on a Bigfoot 17 coupler to detect a false hitch (unless you’re into competitive weightlifting). I know I can’t even lift my Scamp 13 tongue fully loaded. I’d highly recommend lifting with the tongue jack after you latch on.

The only click I hear is the catch on the top of the coupler, which is not a sure indicator of what’s happening underneath.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #31

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
One other thing to watch for:
Back in #5 note that the coupler has a rounded nose for the ball to fit in. It is possible to have the coupler fully down on the ball and be able to operate the clamp properly but not have the ball tightly clamped if the clamp is too loose. The ball might not be fully forward in the coupler.
I have this happen often - With the trailer wheels still chocked the coupler easily drops over the ball but the clamp won't lock. Ease the TV slightly forward (usually less than 1/4 inch) until there is slight resistance and the clamp will lock. If the clamp HAD locked without the ball being fully forward in the coupler one might have thought that all was OK.
As mentioned earlier when adjusting things it is a good idea to remove the ball from the TV receiver so it is possible to easily determine that the ball is indeed securely clamped when it is supposed to be.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #32

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
False hitch - Unable to lock the coupler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyoung View Post
One other thing to watch for:
Back in #5 note that the coupler has a rounded nose for the ball to fit in. It is possible to have the coupler fully down on the ball .... The ball might not be fully forward in the coupler.
I have this happen often - With the trailer wheels still chocked the coupler easily drops over the ball but the clamp won't lock. Ease the TV slightly forward (usually less than 1/4 inch) until there is slight resistance and the clamp will lock.
I have had this happen a couple of times with my Casita. However, in my case, I was unable close the coupler lever into place so I could lock it. Moving the TV forward an inch or two, I could "feel" the TT drop onto the ball. Then I could close/lock the clamp.

Here is an "interesting" story of a similar situation to Lisle's experience that happened to a couple within a mile of leaving the parking lot after purchasing their brand new Escape.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
That's part of the Trailer Valet. This may be one of those cases where you want to achieve a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Valet.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
I've been full timing in my 2018 Casita for a couple months. It was hardly used prior to that, so everything should be pretty new. The other day, I hitched it as usual. The latch on the hitch was latched and padlocked closed. About a mile down the road, I hit a pretty good bump and the trailer bounced off the ball. I applied the brakes and was able to get TV and trailer to stop, after the foot of the trailer made a 20' scrape in the blacktop. We didn't end up in the ditch, and the electrical and chains remained connected.

An older gentleman came by in his pick up (this was in the middle of the woods in NC with no cellphone service), and helped me get re-hitched. He advised me never to grease the ball because it fosters this kind of unhitching. He advised me to buy a new ball every 2-3 years because, without grease, the ball will wear down. Cheaper to buy a new ball than to have an accident. He also confirmed that the hitch is a 2" hitch and the ball on my TV is a 2" ball. He didn't comment on why this would have happened, but didn't seem too surprised.

As you can imagine, this freaked me out. I really don't want to have this happen again. We wiped all the grease off the ball and I carefully went down the road at low speed until I was confident it wasn't going to unhitch itself again. Since then I've driven it through a city and on highways and everything has been fine. It does appear that the hitch column is bent because it is very hard to crank up and down now. He said I should be sure to grease that.

I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on why this happened, anything to do to prevent it happening again, etc. I know there are differences of opinion about greasing the ball but so far have not heard it said that a ball with grease unhitches.

Is it possible I did everything right and this happened anyway? Is it possible to have the hitch drop down on the ball and be able to latch and lock the latch and still have the camper unhitch itself? Or does this indicate I never was properly hitched up?
I physically feel up in the hitch to make sure the latch is under the ball not over it. Raising vehicle up a little works also but I like to feel it. Are you crossing your chains to make sure the trailer won't drop to much if the hitch does come undone. I also twist my chains a little to make sure they are not to loose and would hold the trailer up higher so I wouldn't drag the tongue on the pavement. I should take off a couple of links but that would mean cutting and rewelding them. Different vehicles have made me use the twist method. So glad you didn't wreck.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #35

Arizona
Registry
Casita unhitching while driving

I’m not sure sticking your fingers in the hitch is a good idea. If the ball is not properly seated and latched- a rare event to be sure, but that’s the premise of this thread- there’s the small possibility it could suddenly shift.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #36

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
unhitching while under tow

Happened to me too going over a speed bump. Had nothing to do with grease/no grease, but fault of incompetent person installing the wrong size ball during installation of trailer hitch/wiring on my car...ball and hitch were different sizes. Gotta love those chains!
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #37

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
One more good reason to use a WDH. Since you must raise the TV to attach the spring bars, this also ensures the coupler is seated on the ball.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Sure but I'm talking about the actual ball base is threaded and he tightened it against the coupler. Strange.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #39

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
I’m not sure sticking your fingers in the hitch is a good idea. If the ball is not properly seated and latched- a rare event to be sure, but that’s the premise of this thread- there’s the small possibility it could suddenly shift.
I usually shake it around first to make sure it is hitched then do a final check with feeling up inside. I just feel and look to make sure the latch is under the ball. It is not my first check.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Sure but I'm talking about the actual ball base is threaded and he tightened it against the coupler. Strange.
I’ll confess I didn’t watch the whole video. Could tightening the sleeve against the coupler cause downward pressure on the ball against the undejjaw to verify it holds securely?

Tags
casita, vin