Casita vs Scamp 16' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Not sure if this is an issue for you but the 17' Casita has a higher ceiling clearance (6'2") than the 16' (5'10"). That was a deal breaker for us since my husband is 5'11" and wants to be able to stand up completely. Not sure how the Scamp compares.
The Scamp 16 is approximately the same height as the Casita 17 and about 3-4" taller than the Casita 16.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #16

Name: Shirley
Trailer: In the market
Minnesota
Ugh, this has been my debate for the last umpteen years and I ponder it so much and waste so much time looking that I still do not have either one !!!!
I finally bought a little tin can camper just for local camping trips and to share with my kids (3 summers and I've used it once, haha) but I want a casita or scamp to haul across the country.
I thought I had decided on a casita liberty because I need the height and bigger bed...... but I read these informative opinions from experienced RV'ers and I start all over
At 5'11" barefoot and no claw clip in my hair I have to be slightly bent forward while in a 16' scamp or casita. I spend most of my working day bent over and don't want to while camping even for the short amount of time I will spend in my camper.
But I really prefer 16' as far as weight and I want the front lower mounted a/c, if I have a/c at all, just NOT ON TOP, which I only see in a 16' casita. And as a 51 yr old single lady, I mean girl, I feel it would be easier for me to handle
BUUUUUUT.............I only live 35-40 minutes from the scamp factory so service would be so handy if I had a scamp..........?????
There are other little things that I do or don't like/want but don't matter to me as much as this stuff.
Ohhhhhhh and then there is price range, finding my must haves in my price range (which I don't know what is, I have the money just not sure if I should spend it on a toy ?)
I want to scream, I can't make a decision !!!!!!!!
But at any rate, I love reading about all the advice, opinions, experiences and adventures here and on other forums, there seems to be a great supportive community out there......maybe someday I will make up my mind and join them
So thanks to all of you for sharing your experience !!!

Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Scamp vs Casita

When comparisons of the two brands are discussed on the Casita sites I have often read that the vulnerable wood floor would often rot out no matter what preservatives were used on it.

While in a campground the owner was away from his Scamp so I laid down on a blanket and looked under the right front corner of the trailer. And HARK, there it was...… A hole about the size of my fist in the floor. It had been covered over with another piece of plywood laying atop the hole.

Like others, I really like the equivalent model of Scamp as my Casita 16' SD - especially the "Gold" model. I don't know the proper name but it has all wood cabinets with oak facing, as I recall. I think it has a larger refrigerator also, I think, but could be wrong about that. I recall the graphics were gold color.

Doninut
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I had a 16' Casita for a couple of years and liked it.
But, there are lengthy threads on Casitaforum .com about how the front AC is ineffective and modifications to help improve the airflow.

Walt
Old 11-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
When comparisons of the two brands are discussed on the Casita sites I have often read that the vulnerable wood floor would often rot out no matter what preservatives were used on it.

While in a campground the owner was away from his Scamp so I laid down on a blanket and looked under the right front corner of the trailer. And HARK, there it was...… A hole about the size of my fist in the floor. It had been covered over with another piece of plywood laying atop the hole.

Like others, I really like the equivalent model of Scamp as my Casita 16' SD - especially the "Gold" model. I don't know the proper name but it has all wood cabinets with oak facing, as I recall. I think it has a larger refrigerator also, I think, but could be wrong about that. I recall the graphics were gold color.

Doninut
The flip side is Casita floor is kind of a bathtub design, fiberglass beneath it prevents drying out. So if water gets into the OSB area, its going to rot. I would think that repairing a rotten floor in a Scamp would be much easier.

Do a search via google on floor rot Scamp, and then floor rot Casita and you will find people have had problems with either. Its not unique to those two brands as a similar search for Boler, Trillium, Bigfoot and others will show issues.

Really all the FG manufacturers would be well served to go to non-wood floor materials, which is what Oliver and Lil Snoozy have both done.

And of course, there are people with 40 year old trailers that have never had floor rot issues.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnupnorthbrrr View Post
Ugh, this has been my debate for the last umpteen years and I ponder it so much and waste so much time looking that I still do not have either one !!!!
I finally bought a little tin can camper just for local camping trips and to share with my kids (3 summers and I've used it once, haha) but I want a casita or scamp to haul across the country.
I thought I had decided on a casita liberty because I need the height and bigger bed...... but I read these informative opinions from experienced RV'ers and I start all over
At 5'11" barefoot and no claw clip in my hair I have to be slightly bent forward while in a 16' scamp or casita. I spend most of my working day bent over and don't want to while camping even for the short amount of time I will spend in my camper.
But I really prefer 16' as far as weight and I want the front lower mounted a/c, if I have a/c at all, just NOT ON TOP, which I only see in a 16' casita. And as a 51 yr old single lady, I mean girl, I feel it would be easier for me to handle
BUUUUUUT.............I only live 35-40 minutes from the scamp factory so service would be so handy if I had a scamp..........?????
There are other little things that I do or don't like/want but don't matter to me as much as this stuff.
Ohhhhhhh and then there is price range, finding my must haves in my price range (which I don't know what is, I have the money just not sure if I should spend it on a toy ?)
I want to scream, I can't make a decision !!!!!!!!
But at any rate, I love reading about all the advice, opinions, experiences and adventures here and on other forums, there seems to be a great supportive community out there......maybe someday I will make up my mind and join them
So thanks to all of you for sharing your experience !!!
OK somewhere along the line you have the ceiling height stats wrong I think?
The Casita 16 is indeed pretty short inside but the Scamp is not.

A Scamp will be 6' or more high and there is no debate about it at all.
The Casita is only short in a 16 but the 17 is taller,much like the Scamp.

edited for wrongness
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
The newest Scamp are even taller inside as they had to make new molds after a factory fire and they raised the ceiling too at that time.
Ed, the only size that got taller was the 13'. Scamp actually made it the same height as the 16'.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ed, the only size that got taller was the 13'. Scamp actually made it the same height as the 16'.
Oh Man!
This close to the end of the year and at last I am wrong?

Well like I said the 16' Scamp is taller inside than the 16' Casita of any vintages then and it is not a subtle difference in my own heads experience.

Hows that?

Thanks Donna

Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon

You're welcome Ed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #24

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Looking to buy my first trailer. As a newbie, any sage advice about what's different between them? Advantage/disadvantage of each brand? I'm specifically looking for the side dinette and front wet bath in each.
Check into the Scamp needing a pump to pump the grey water to the holding tank. There was an extensive column on the problems because of the placement of the Scamp grey water tank. Casita does not have that problem as the holding tanks are above the axle and in front of it. I don't know what model or length it was. Just a heads up. I personally prefer the Casita since many items are included and Scamp makes them options. It seems like the Casita is a better quality product. We have a 17' Casita.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #25

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Casita 2018 Independence Dlx
Tennessee
Wink what camper/?

I think it wd be reasonable to look at options. We we did.
The made in USA Casita Independence Dlx 17 footer was our choice..
It has two big (31"X83") twin beds in back, but with room to get up and go P w/o crawling over a partner.
The bed in back of our trailer really makes up into a king bed also... if you put the "middle" back in. We added 3" memory foam to the twins and drop that middle in if needed..sleeps 3 adults IF needed.
We opted for the 25 gallon FWT and HD battery + solar panels option, added 3 extra 120V outlets and 3 12V ones plus a couple of USB ports. WE also got the outside shower

FWIW the twin beds in the Casita are bigger than the twin bed model of the vaunted Oliver23 just sayin. Theirs are 30"X75"
3B7F0DFC C196 4D5C B9C3 D6FE282671BC our rig on Casita gallery, posted 5/5/18
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
The made in USA Casita Independence Dlx 17 footer was our choice..

You mean the one with the fridge made in Sweden, the tires made in China, electronics made in China, plumbing made in China..?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
I am 6' tall, and didn't find the ceiling height of the casita 16 that big of a deal, the trailer is so small, I'm usually sitting in it anyways.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #28

Name: Lisle
Trailer: Buying one in 2019
Massachusetts
Thank you, everyone, for all these good reflections. I do think buying used I'll focus on the condition of the trailer. Glad there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two brands.

Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp