Casita vs Scamp 16' - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Lisle
Trailer: Buying one in 2019
Massachusetts
Casita vs Scamp 16'

Looking to buy my first trailer. As a newbie, any sage advice about what's different between them? Advantage/disadvantage of each brand? I'm specifically looking for the side dinette and front wet bath in each.

Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Those two layouts are so similar it comes down to lots of little details. The Scamp is a little taller. Different wall coverings. Scamp has roof A/C, Casita has window-type A/C mounted in forward cabinet. Curtains (Scamp) or blinds (Casita). Scamp offers a screen door, Casita doesn't. Scamp has a sliding rear window, Casita has a fixed plexiglass window. Etc...

Best way is to tour both for yourself.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Thanks, Jon. Any difference in reliability? How well made they are? I'm going to be buying a used one, so probably can't be too picky about details. When I find one in good shape, I'll probably take it as it comes.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
pretty sure all the windows on our Casita 16 are glass, not plastic (plexiglass).

in Casita, the model you're describing is the Spirit Deluxe... side dinette that converts to a somewhat narrow bed, front path, front closet, with a window unit style A/C under the closet.

A Casita 16 SD was our first trailer... We used it extensively for 2 years, but ended up upgrading to something larger... the big issues for us were that the grey holding tank was too small for our extended dry camping 2-up (I could make it last 5-6 days solo), and the bed was just too small and cramped, one of us (me) had to climb over the other (her) to go to the bathroom.... the dinette bed was only 24" wide which I found too narrow to be comfortable as I tend to roll over several times in the night, sleeping on either side.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Thanks John. I'll be solo and plan to just keep the big bed as a bed. Use the dinette for eating, etc. It seemed to me that the two were very much the same, but I thought I'd ask those more experienced.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pretty sure all the windows on our Casita 16 are glass, not plastic (plexiglass)...
I'll defer to your first-hand knowledge. So... fixed glass in back. Scamp has a large slider, which is nice for ventilation.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 19'er
Colorado
You might also ask about AUW (all up weight) of each trailer. We had a Scamp 16'er (side dinette, front bath) for a decade and loved it. It weighed 2,590 lbs fully loaded, ready to head out for an extended trip. That means we could comfortably tow it with our 3,500 lb rated mini-van. Also, never had any swaying issues with the Scamp. I don't know about a similar Casita.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHine View Post
You might also ask about AUW (all up weight) of each trailer.

That would depend on how much beer was on board. Tongue weight depends how many cases of beer you have in the front, and how many under the rear bed.
Attached Thumbnails
beer fridge.jpg  
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
The Scamp will have significantly more head room than the 16 ft Casita. The Casitas are generally a bit heavier with a heavier tongue weight.

I also prefer the way Scamp does the floor. While many folks say the Casita floor is "sealed in fiberglass" thus less susceptible to water damage, I don't buy it. Being encased as it is in the Casita, any water that does get into the floor, stays in, it doesn't have a chance to dry out. There are multiple openings for the water to migrate inside the fiberglass envelope - plumbing holes, electrical holes, screw holes holding all the furniture in place, etc. With a Scamp, the entire floor is exposed underneath the trailer and is quite easy to inspect periodically so you can catch any problem areas early. In the Casita, all damage is hidden until the floor is virtually destroyed. Also, because it is exposed, replacing all or part of the floor is a comparatively easy project in a Scamp, not so much in a Casita.

All that said, many folks feel that the fit and finish of the Casita is a bit better, plus they have some nice design options. Also, the Casitas have nice BIG windows compared to Scamps. Either will be great, if you get a good one and pay attention to maintenance going forward.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Agree with most of that, Lyle. The floor construction has advantages and disadvantages on both sides. Many Casita owners chose Casita for exactly that reason- the fiberglass-encased floor. I am of your mind, though, both for weight reduction and accessibility for inspection and repair.

Regarding tongue weight, the 16' Casita (unlike the 17') tends to run light like the Scamp, and you need to pay attention to weight distribution when loading. I have seen numerous posts about sway with 16' Scamps and Casitas, and hardly any involving 17' Casitas or 13' Scamps. To be fair, many were carrying extra weight- bicycles or a cargo box- on the back.

UVW does appear to run a bit higher on Casitas, perhaps due in part to the extra fiberglass in the floor. They also have more standard equipment, so it's sometimes hard to tell if you're comparing similarly-equipped units.

Regarding windows, Scamp gets the nod from me for the larger rear slider, but Casita gets the nod for including a true emergency escape window.

The Casita bathroom seems a bit larger and nicely finished, but again, the full fiberglass surround adds weight.

"Nice design options"? Hope you don't mean the wild upholstery prints Casita seems to favor... In my very personal opinion, the charcoal grey option they recently added is classy and timeless, a welcome departure.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

"Nice design options"? Hope you don't mean the wild upholstery prints Casita seems to favor...
Ha! No, wild prints are not for me. I believe, however, that they do offer a solid fabric choice as well.

I was referring to keeping the AC off the roof (my personal preference) and the offer of more comfortable seating with the Freedom Deluxe models or the twin bed option of the Liberty Deluxe.

Yes, I have heard that the bath is a bit larger in the Casita.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
If you want a more basic trailer, the Scamp is the way to go. Options can be readily added so it is similar or better equipped than the Casita, or you can go more basic, and get lower weight and cost. From what I have heard, you can delete standard items from a Casita build but the price is not lowered.

Big bed in the Scamp could be larger (wider) than the Casita.

In the used market, tend to see more Scamp 16s. Most Casitas tend to be the 17 footer.

Personally, I prefer a large window front and rear, so a side bath Scamp would be my choice of the two. But since you want side dinette, it would be a toss up.

Similar to Jon in Santa Cruz, the tiny dinette is what drove us away from a Casita 17 and to an Escape 19 (couldn't park an Escape 21 at our home, so it was out). Note we always take long trips, last one was 11,000 miles, 1 month long, to Alaska with some side trips. "Typical" trip for us is four weeks, 8,000 miles. If we were weekend campers, our Trillium 1300 would be big enough. One to two weeks? The Scamp or Casita could work.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Unless a feature was a deal breaker... An example could be if the closet AC allowed you to clear a garage. Ceiling height could be another deal breaker.

Again unless a feature was a deal breaker, in the used market I think condition could matter more than brand. Absent a deal breaker, I would encourage people to look at both of these brands, which share a heritage, along with some of their cousins.

Good trailers get snapped up very fast. You will generate a ton of lifetime memories regardless.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #14

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Not sure if this is an issue for you but the 17' Casita has a higher ceiling clearance (6'2") than the 16' (5'10"). That was a deal breaker for us since my husband is 5'11" and wants to be able to stand up completely. Not sure how the Scamp compares.

margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp