Casita water heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If you check you will find CO detectors last only 8-10 years. It is not planned obsolescence, but it is in the nature of how they work. Replace older CO detectors.

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I never thought about a portable CO detector. I will check it out, thanks. My CO detector was factory installed.

I always manage to learn a thing or two every time I am on this forum.

Our propane detector went off every night so we took out the fuse. We got a portable one and it never went off. The ones in the Casita under the bed seems to never work right. We have CO and propane detectors for safety. So portable is the way to go. We use a small electric heater that is round, can't tip over and has a thermostat. It shuts off if moved at all. We use it when on shore power. Keeps our trailer warm safely.

Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I'm not aware that a portable, battery-operated propane gas detector exists. All the ones I've seen are hard-wired.
Could you post the brand and model?
A propane gas detector is not a carbon monoxide detector, or vice versa.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #18

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Casita 2018 Independence Dlx
Tennessee
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
You need to be concerned about CO (Carbon Monoxide) poisoning generated by the use of your propane cooking stove inside the trailer.

DO NOT use your cooking stove inside the trailer for heating the trailer. This is very temping to do. If you do and you fall asleep with the windows closed and the roof vent open, you will die.

You really don't have to worry about the propane furnace putting CO into the trailer. Having said that check the vent on the propane furnace at the start of the camping season and if you park in one spot for a long period of time. If the furnace is seldom used dirt daubers may build a nest, as can mice.

If you put your own CO alarm in the trailer, read the instructions. The instructions will tell you to put the alarm low, down near the floor. Do exactly that.
There are little round wire mesh cups u can buy, wh you can affix over the furnace outlets outside the TT. I have a couple on my Casita, tho I did add an extra wire to secure the cups to the outlets. These keep the wasps and snakes OUT of the furnace..so far.
BTW be very careful when shoving your 30amp cable back into the trailer..it is likely as not going to loop around over the water heater.....and knock loose the igniter wire from the top of the WH. Ask ne how I know this. grrrrrr

Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita