Casita Wheel backspace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Casita Wheel backspace

Hey Y'all,
We are looking for a 1990 + or - Casita 17 ft Freedom. Some of the time I plan on pulling it to Street Rod car shows. I want to replace the OEM wheels with a set of Crager Super Sport spoke wheels. Can anyone tell me what the backspace is on the OEM wheels. I don't want to order these custom wheels without knowing for sure. Thank you.
Have Fun,
Allen
Ocala,Florida
Allen Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
You might need to explain what backspace is.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Most of us know what backspace is, but I think I would worry more about finding the trailer before I worried about custom wheels. Maybe that's just me.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Greg. You may find the perfect trailer at the perfect price and the bolt pattern is different than the custom wheels you've spent good money on and are now in the garage as boat anchors. Be patient, it may pay off.

But Crager SS will be really cool!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Greg. You may find the perfect trailer at the perfect price and the bolt pattern is different than the custom wheels you've spent good money on and are now in the garage as boat anchors. Be patient, it may pay off.

But Crager SS will be really cool!

Response you looking for is 'zero-offset'
JOHN BUSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
backspaceing

OK, I guess I need to explain. The offset on a wheel is the measurement between the mounting pads and the centerline of the wheel. Some wheels may have positive offset and some may have negative offset. Zero offset is when the tire will be positioned over the center line of the wheel therefor = Zero offset.
What I am looking for is the backspacing of a OEM (stock Casita 15 in)wheel. The backspacing is measured by removing a wheel from the vehicle and laying it on a flat surface with the back (the side facing the brakes) facing up. Then lay a straightedge acoss the wheel right to left. You must make sure that the straightedge is not lifted in any way by the tire - it must be laying on the steel of the wheel. Now measure from the bottom of the straightedge to one of the wheel pads. This measurement is the backspacing for that wheel.
In the not to distant future we will be locating a Casita 17 ft Freedom or maybe a spirit. We will be using this to attend street rod shows from time to time. I will be pulling it with a 32 Ford extended cab pickup street rod. The wheel size I am using on this truck is 15 inch with a bolt pattern of 5 on 4 1/2 and a backspace of 3 inches. A 15 inch wheel with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern is a standard wheel size for many trailers. I am wanting to know what the backspacing of an OEM (stock) Casita wheel measures. I would like to know that the wheels of the trailer are compatible with the truck. I am planing on using Crager SS mags on the truck and after I find out what the backspace is on the Casita stock wheel I may be ordering replacement wheel for the trailer. I feel it would be nice to know that the spare on each vehicle is compatible with the other before the panic of needing a second spare takes place. I have, in the past, driven tractor trailer cross country for many years and know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If one finds themselves out in the middle of no ware and in need of a second spare ---an ounce of prevention is worth ten pounds of cure ! ! ! ! Thank you for your feed back.
Have Fun
Allen
Allen Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

Allen, at one time I went down the same path as you. I wanted the wheels on the trailer to match the tug and only carry one spare. I found it wouldn't work quite like that, due to the backspacing. Yep the wheels on the tug have a large backspace to clear the hubs (disc brakes), which made the tug spare incompatible with the trailer which needs a zero-backspace. So, even though the wheels now match, I have to carry two spares. Sigh. It wasn't the end of the world. I spent quite a bit of money having Corvette Rally wheels made with a Ford bolt pattern and zero offset for the trailer. I bought the cheapest wheel and spare I could and the best ground tires I could afford for the trailer. I carry the spare in the back of the truck. It doesn't hang off the back of the trailer, so no one knows I only have two matched wheels. AND, I haven't had to use the spare (yet).

Aren't we hotrodders a strange breed? So very visual and the lengths and expense we are willing to go through!

This isn't mine, I have a 1953 Ford Panel... but have you seen this pic? Tweety Bird and 1954 Ford PU

Here's a really good website with pictures and methods for measuring that explain backspacing: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic.../photo_01.html
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
What John says...... "Zero Offset"
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Aren't we hotrodders a strange breed? So very visual and the lengths and expense we are willing to go through!
It's not just you hotrodders. Eric is hemming and hawing over buying the trailer tires because he wants to (someday) put an heavier axle on the trailer and get wheels and tires that match the truck but.... right now the trailer has to have new tires to be towed and I hate the wheels it came with.

And don't get me started on the wheels and tires needed for our son's autocross car....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #10

I feel for you Lizbeth, honestly. Fortunately both my classic and trailer wheels are painted, not alloys and not chrome. So even if I decide to change tug color, I can also change the color of the wheels or maybe something complimentary.

I'm sure a psychologist has a special name for us!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Donna, I think for now spray paint is in the wheels future. Maybe some hubcaps or moons? I could probably live with that.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Donna, I think for now spray paint is in the wheels future. Maybe some hubcaps or moons? I could probably live with that.
Get the Moon's, get the Moon's I want the Moon's on the truck and the trailer.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Moss View Post
OK,
What I am looking for is the backspacing of a OEM (stock Casita 15 in)wheel.

I will be pulling it with a 32 Ford extended cab pickup street rod. The wheel size I am using on this truck is 15 inch with a bolt pattern of 5 on 4 1/2 and a backspace of 3 inches. A 15 inch wheel with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern is a standard wheel size for many trailers.
I feel it would be nice to know that the spare on each vehicle is compatible with the other before the panic of needing a second spare takes place.
Allen
If you change the trailer axle, you can have any backspace on the wheels that you want. All you have to do is specify the length of the axle so that with your 3 inch wheel backspace the tires are the same distance apart as the originals. Then you only need 1 spare and the problem is solved.

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Don't paint; Powder-Coat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I think for now spray paint is in the wheels future. Maybe some hubcaps or moons? I could probably live with that.
When I bought the Compact Jr. the 2 wheels were quite rusty. I wire brushed and spray painted them and added full wheel covers. I guess they looked OK for being cheap. I had to buy a spare which didn't match but the wheel covers hid that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact Jr Rear Closed.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	33845

I took the 5 wheels on the Fiber Stream to a friend's shop where (after motorized wire brushing) he let me soda-blast and powder-coat them, and then I bought Baby Moons off eBay. My $-cost was about the same for each trailer, but the wire-brushing + Soda-blasting was more labor intensive.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Wheels.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	33846 Click image for larger version

Name:	hub caps.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	33847
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
What about tire type ST for special trailer?
eg. mine ar st205r14

Tags
casita