Casita window glazing help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Casita window glazing help

Redoing my 1989 Casita window glazing
Ordered all new glazing ,removed old,soaked the new in hot water and dawn.
My big sliding window has two panes.On the permanent side glass has anyone just used a good sealant,caulk.??
The new glazing just dont want to go in.Cleaned the tracks,the new glazing looks the same.
Next step may be a large hammer and screwdriver!
Or Just caulk
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I found that I had to push hard to get it to fit. I used a slip joint pliers for the corners to get a little extra strength. It was something I did a little at a time since the joints in the thumbs seemed to start aching after a foot or two. Ain't old age fun!!
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I found that I had to push hard to get it to fit. I used a slip joint pliers for the corners to get a little extra strength. It was something I did a little at a time since the joints in the thumbs seemed to start aching after a foot or two. Ain't old age fun!!
Very,Very True
Wonder if there is a tool I could buy?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I think guys that install windshields in auto use a small tool similar to an awl with a small ball on the tip for getting under the rubber and pulling it out so it will lay flat. Don't know what they call it. Something I have used on my Corvette front windshield is an orange or lemon peeler she got from a Tupperware party. It has a little hook on one end and a flat blade on the other.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Here is the ball end tool mentioned. https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extru...tools/ball-end

If you have a local store that supplies to the automotive stores you might be able to purchase it locally. If not they are on Amazon, Ebay, etc as well as direct from Trimlok.

You can get similar shaped tools from auto and hardware stores that don't have the ball on the end. You can try using one of those perhaps using a grinding stone to blunt the sharp point to prevent scratching. They often come in sets of other bend end picks which are meant for helping to removing O-rings, seals and such. I have them in my tool box, surprising how handy they are. I used one in helping to remove some of the old butyl tape so I could pull out some of my trailer windows that did not want to release.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I think guys that install windshields in auto use a small tool similar to an awl with a small ball on the tip for getting under the rubber and pulling it out so it will lay flat. Don't know what they call it. Something I have used on my Corvette front windshield is an orange or lemon peeler she got from a Tupperware party. It has a little hook on one end and a flat blade on the other.
Thank You
Old 07-18-2018, 05:36 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Here is the ball end tool mentioned. https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extru...tools/ball-end

If you have a local store that supplies to the automotive stores you might be able to purchase it locally. If not they are on Amazon, Ebay, etc as well as direct from Trimlok.

You can get similar shaped tools from auto and hardware stores that don't have the ball on the end. You can try using one of those perhaps using a grinding stone to blunt the sharp point to prevent scratching. They often come in sets of other bend end picks which are meant for helping to removing O-rings, seals and such. I have them in my tool box, surprising how handy they are. I used one in helping to remove some of the old butyl tape so I could pull out some of my trailer windows that did not want to release.
Thank You

Tags
casita