Casita Window Repairs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #21

Name: steve
Trailer: 1983 13ft casita
Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Troxell View Post
When I removed the window (including Frame) I took it to a local window/glass company. They gave me a product they called R-100 to 'try'. It's not the fat 'puffy' molding that we are looking for - but worth a try, I guess. I will post with the results...

BUT... can someone tell me how THEIR window frame is attached? I was expecting at least a 4 screws or something similar, but mine is attached to the fiberglass with 13 rivets... then of course about 35 more rivets on the interior trim ring.. IS THIS okay- or just a 'jacked-up' job from a prior owner? Thanks
J. I have not removed the window yet, but, I did count the rivets from the outside and there are 13. I may have located the molding we were looking for to go in the trim ring. I should have more information in the morning and will let you know.

Steve
steve in arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #22

Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne and Steve View Post
I used part # 009-057 from Interstate Metal Fabricators on the outside groove of the window on our Casita's door. I think it would also work on the front/rear windows, but we haven't tried it there yet.

Interstate Metal Fabricators, Inc.
(under "rubber parts")

Good luck with your project - I'd love to hear how it goes!
Jeanne
Jeanne & Steve, did you have to modify the part before installing? I went to interstates site and their photo of part# 009-057 appears different from the photo of your door molding? I think the molding you illustrated in your photo might work better than the orginal molding in my camper. Would you double check the part # for me and do you remember the cost per foot?

Steve
Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #23

Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Troxell View Post
Well I have the window in... not exactly 100 percent confident it's totally correct, but for today it will be fine. I am going to keep tightening down the inside screws in hopes to make the butyl seal water tight. I am posting 3 images regarding the rubber molding that goes in the outside track. The first image is the diagram of the peice that I believe we are looking for... I can't seem to find anyone that still has it or sells it. The second and third images are "my' attempt in finding something similar that might work.. I have not tested my window with water yet.. going to be a few more days. The 'alternate' rubber molding was called R100 from the local window/glass company. It doesn't fit as tight as the original, but it's the best I can do right now.
J. I sent Casita photos of the orginal and a really nice person in service was able to come up with something really close to the orginal. Their item # 130009000057 appears to be the same dimensions as the orginal, but, the bottom (flat side) of the molding is solid. I ordered enough for one window and I plan to take a razor and cut a slot in the bottom in order for it to fit the frame. The cost is $2.00 per foot.

I really like the molding Jeannie & Steve pictured in their door better than my orginal molding. I may try it on my door and front window.
Steve
Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #24

Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in arkansas View Post
J. I have not removed the window yet, but, I did count the rivets from the outside and there are 13. I may have located the molding we were looking for to go in the trim ring. I should have more information in the morning and will let you know.

Steve
J. how is your seal working? Also, can you offer any advice on how to remove the 13 rivets holding the window in place?

Steve
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in arkansas View Post
J. how is your seal working? Also, can you offer any advice on how to remove the 13 rivets holding the window in place?

Steve
We are in the middle of a pretty good thunderstorm right now, so I just ran out to check. No water!!! Excited because I haven't trimmed the butyl and applied the final seal! I removed the rivets by drilling out the centers, then grabbing the other end (swollen fatter part) with needle nose pliers...

So much satisfaction being felt right now. The rubber seal that I used will probably be just fine. It did "tack" it in place n a couple of places with a dab of black silicone.
J Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
J,
Congratulations! Makes me relive the joy of my window success. It is such a great feeling to conquer the leaks!
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita
Registry
And only those that have experienced this understand! It's the little triumphs I guess!
J Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita