Casita with a Salvage title from another state - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Casita with a Salvage title from another state

Would we have licensing and insurance issues with a Casita with a salvaged title from another state? I know call you insurance company, which is what we plan to do on Tuesday when they reopen. Just thought I would ask here 1st. to see if anybody has delt with this before. Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Google search results for "Salvage Title"

California Procedure for Re-registering a Salvage Vehicle
Michigan law on Salvage Title and Re-registering

Wikipedia entry on Salvage Title
Interesting note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the state of Michigan, the issuance of a salvage title does not mean that the vehicle is also deemed a total loss. Michigan issues a salvage title when the damage equals 75-90% of the pre-damage value; if the loss is 91% or greater the vehicle is eligible only for a "scrap" title, which cannot be subsequently upgraded by any means.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post From Michigan's Secretary of State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Excerpt from this reference:
Quote:
Salvage Vehicles from Another State

A vehicle with an out-of-state salvage title, regardless of the model year, cannot receive a Michigan recertified road-use title until:

The vehicle has been recertified and titled for road use in the state which issued the salvage title, or
The vehicle has been recertified by a Michigan salvage inspector using the TR-13B recertification form. (The TR-13B recertification form is available only to law enforcement officers.)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I'd worry more about the DMV than the insurance co. Some states won't let you license a salvage title.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #5

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Excerpt from this reference:
I read that. But I don't think a travel trailer is a Vehicle. I could be wrong, this may be more trouble than what its worth. I will know Tues. When DMV re opens.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
I read that. But I don't think a travel trailer is a Vehicle. I could be wrong, this may be more trouble than what its worth. I will know Tues. When DMV re opens.
RV = recreational VEHICLE.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I doubt that you'd have insurance issues, as I think they'll insure anything that the state is willing to register for road usage.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I'd worry more about the DMV than the insurance co. Some states won't let you license a salvage title.
I happen to have had this exact experience here "behind the curtain" in Illinois. We located a 2006 Casita 17 which had an airconditioner fire and subsequent smoke damage and some damaged upholstery just below the A/C. The Insurance company ruled that it would cost more than it's value to repair , so they sold it to a salvage company.
This 4 year old trailer was perfect in everyway other than the damage described.
The "Bozo Bureaucrats" here in Illinois would not allow me to title this trailer in Illinois, even though it was in perfect DOT condition.
The trailer went at auction to a resident of a free state for eleven hundred dollars.
Although I was saddened at the loss, I am glad to have done my homework prior to the sale.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Indiana
Yep, there you go. My buddy won a car on E bay and then found out it had a salvage title, the state it was in wouldn't let it out of their state so he got out of the deal.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
In Massachusetts when a Salvage Title is issued the "Vehicle" Has to be inspected to get a "Reconstructed" Title. Which means taking the "vehicle" to a state inspection station with all the receipts of the repairs done to make it roadworthy. The state troopers that do the inspection then stamp the salvage title and then the person can then get the " rebuilt" or "reconstructed" title. You CANT register a Salvage title but you can after a "REBUILT" or " RECONSTRUCTED" title has been issued. Be careful on the wording of the title. It makes all the difference. Randy.
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, title