Cat Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The dog died, the kids left home and I'm actually retired -- but we still have a cat.

The cat doesn't mind traveling, so she gets to go. But accommodating the cat box is our problem. The standard Pets Mart one we have is too big to stow anywhere, so it just gets in the way.

Has anyone on the forum come up with a workable and somewhat neat solution for the cat box?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We use a cat box like this one. You can barely see it in this photo, but you should be able to get the idea.

We also use a flat litter box that we put inside a cardboard box. Either way helps to keep the sand in the box.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0030.JPG  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We have a dog and have never had a cat but I remember that my aunt's cat would be on a harness all of the time except during the night, had a shorter harness for in the car (could only reach around the back seat of the car) and because she was on a harness, the litter box was outside and under the steps of the trailer. She'd go to the door and whine a bit and they would let her out. Always on harness was the key to the success of this plan and it worked well because they had her follow this plan from small kitten.
Cally thought the harness was wonderful and lived well with it because it meant vacation and living outdoors.

Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I remember someone mentioning putting a cat box under the front gaucho. I think they cut a door (or it was already there for a porta-potty), removed the door and that's where the cat box resides. The cat likes the privacy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I purchased an extra small covered box at Big Lots. I couldn't stand the "Litter Fest" at nite and stepping out of bed onto sandlike texture.. not to mention my dogs thinking the uncovered one was a snack bar.

I have never seen another small covered one.

It sits just inside the door and is not obstructing anything.

Before that, I had a small plastic deep dishpan instead of a full sized box. Worked space wise.

btw, I am sure you have figured out you MUST keep it clean at all times or you will be gagged out of the rig in no time.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I wanted to get a litter box with higher sides to prevent the litter fest, but they were pretty expensive at all the places I looked. So I got a plastic tub--I think it was a 27 quart size, rectangle--and that fit under the couch in the space where the porta potty used to be. And for $5, rather than $30 or more, it was a good bargain. (I got one for the house as well.) The tub has a cover on it, so I can cover the litter when we're in transit, and I put a piece of plastic carpet protector under the litter box to help keep things clean. We haven't put it to too much use yet, but it looks like it should be good for our use. (Next summer, I'm going to take out the couch and put in a front dinette; I'll put the litter box under one of the seats. I'm also going to take out the carpet and put in vinyl, I think--so the litter box is an evolving issue in our camper.)
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Also check out trackless litter. It really works. There seems to be only one brand but my litter jug is not here so I can't tell you the brand. Sorry

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Awww man that such a sweet kitty photo...nothing to add about the litter box...

Quote:
We use a cat box like this one. You can barely see it in this photo, but you should be able to get the idea.

We also use a flat litter box that we put inside a cardboard box. Either way helps to keep the sand in the box.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Awww man that such a sweet kitty photo...nothing to add about the litter box...

Thanks Brandy - We think he's sweet too and he minds very well. Loves people.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #10

Registry
He hissed at my Wilson tho...

Wilson has flying monkeys.....
Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Aw shucks!

I was hoping someone would have a cat that is known among cats as a NERD!

Then perhaps they could tell me how to reliably teach my cat to use the porta-potty so I wouldn't need to even have a cat box.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
we full time with two cats. we use a "Clever Cat" high sided, top entry litter box because when we are traveling, the cats are in the van with us and we have a number of bins (storage) in the back of the van. The high sides and top entry allow them to easily have access when we are on the move.

In camp we use our kitty condo. There are pictures somewhere on the forum, but this link has a picture.

http://www.rv.org/p17756.pdf

Joe and Melanie

Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Loren - "Then perhaps they could tell me how to reliably teach my cat to use the porta-potty so I wouldn't need to even have a cat box."

Google "toilet training cat" for a plethora of articles, opinions, and UTube videos - key seems to be starting with a very curious kitten (not an adult who may be set in their ways) and a lot of patience and time on the part of the owner.

I'm leaning towards the litter box outside and a harness - that seems like a pretty good solution. 'Course, that assumes I can even get the little devils into the car to leave the driveway - I think they view my going camping with the dogs as THEIR vacation in the house alone - with various friends coming by daily to give them extra special treats and cuddles.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
we use a "Clever Cat" high sided, top entry litter box
I have one of these at home. My cat is indoor/outdoor at home, so he rarely uses it anymore, but it makes the litter fest a thing of the past, and the dogs can NOT get into it at all.

Sometimes the simple ideas work the best.