Catalina Awning Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Catalina Awning Question

The used 19 foot Scamp I just purchased came with the Catalina awning. this is my first experience with this type of awning

It did not have the bottom mount brackets on the Scamp that allow you to attach the arms to the camper and I am not sure why

I like the idea of them as all of the campers I have owned the arms are attached and it allows to angle it down during rain.

Has anyone used them and has a positive or negative view of them? I would like to know before I buy some and rivet them on LOL

Thanks
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have that awning on our Casita. It can be a little tricky to extend and retract so read the directions. Our Casita has the brackets on the lower edge of the trailer but we don't use them other than sometimes opening and closing the awning. I prefer to stake the legs down to the ground, and this past winter when set up where there was occasional wind I put a deflapper in the center of each end.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Awning

Thank you!

Do you lubricate yours at all?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurBNH View Post
Thank you!

No lube. Should get some comment from Floyd, he knows a lot about these awnings.
EDIT: funny story; when we bought our Casita from friends, he said we may not want to use the awning because it was so difficult to close. Said it took him over 2 hours to get it rolled in. We found that by following the directions, they were in the trailer, that it's not all that bad. Sometimes easier than others. Directions say there are marks on the legs as to where to set them when opening and closing, but we can't find them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

New Hampshire
Opening and Closing

I have not seen any marks either but I figured out yesterday when I puy iy in an out a few times it is REALLY easy to bind it up of you are to high or to low from just about horizontal and even with the case.

It is not really friendly of forgiving
Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have the brackets installed on my unit however I also stake the arms to the ground sometimes. Either way I can adjust the angle of the canopy.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
YES! I use the brackets and wouldnt be without them. I found staking them to the ground to be a hit-or-miss. If you're on a concrete pad... well 'nuff said.

Here's a link to showing how I mounted mine. Hope it helps. If you need more info on how I deploy it with these brackets, I'd be glad to help if I can.

I have NO problem with bent rods, binding etc. You wont if you're careful and practice it....yes and we have! Again, we love the awning brackets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57631570936037
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

New Hampshire
Brackets

Darral

Thanks!

We beach it a lot and there is not much to stake in the sand

I see that you riveted them did you back the rivets up or go direct though to a frame member?

Arthur
Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Thank you!

If you do lube just use a graphite lube but even that can be messy.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

I looked on the documentation I wrote there and it doesnt state other than I used a 3/16" rivet. But I'm 99% sure I backed it with a 3/16" flat washer! No I didnt go through any structural members (Framing) but I DID make sure I located the brackets as close as I could to the floor line where it will be stronger and less flexing. Also notice that I used a screw on the bottom! If you will look at your awning feet, you will see a hole that will straddle that screw head. To me, it helps keep the foot from slipping in the bracket.

A few other things here to note:
No, I've NEVER lubricated any part of the awning- so far never had to.

Another is, DO NOT leave your awning deployed in high-wind. I've tested my awning with 25 mph + wind and it holds fine, but I will not leave it out. I monitor the weather closely and if there's ANY chance of wind/storms, it goes in immediately!! With that, you'll never have an issue with it.

Finally, do NOT extend the legs and try to attach them to the brackets with the awning in its case! It will NOT work! The Scamp is curved and it's impossible to attach the legs on my Scamp without pulling the awning out anyway. ALSO make sure you unlatch the legs before going in with the awning. If you forget to detach the legs and go in with it, you WILL inflict damage to possibly several components! Not trying to scare you from the brackets, but they do require due vigilance for proper use!

Here's how we do it:
The wife and I extend the legs. Each one of us holds one leg and let it rest on the ground moving it outward with the awning as I pull it from the case...until we hear that "click". I then reach in and tighten the knobs before releasing the pull ribbon. And again, we do it in reverse order when retracting the awning. We've used it for years this way with no problems.

I dont care for this awning as it reminds me of a giant window shade! Do you know what happens if you let go of a window shade????? Yeah, that thought is always in my mind!

Quote:
Darral

Thanks!

We beach it a lot and there is not much to stake in the sand

I see that you riveted them did you back the rivets up or go direct though to a frame member?

Arthur
Old 04-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The arm brackets can be mounted on the side of the Scamp. The factory doesn't put them on because "the body is curved but the brackets are flat" That's a crock.

I made oak wood adapter blocks to accomodate the curvature.
The one at the rear is located so one stainless screw goes into the wood rail inside that supports the bed/dinette board. The one at the front, is mounted with through bolts, fender washers and nuts on the inside --- this on a 16 ft where the closet is there, and you can get at the inside.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

When I got my Scamp, I called Kent Eveland and asked about my brackets. The manual for the Dometic awning showed them but I didnt have them. Kent is/was the owner (I think his son Micah runs it now). He told me they didnt put them on nor send them with the owners because they were afraid people would let the door swing open and bend the arms when the awning is deployed!?!?

Sheesh.... I told him that was MY worry and to send my brackets! He did. Again, if there's enough wind for the door to damage the awning, my awning is not deployed!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #13

New Hampshire
As bad as the government

Just like the government being everybody's parents!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
With the awning leg mounted to the camper, the door can be tied open to it with a small bungee cord.
And when we have the leg pinned to the ground, I made a stand off strut to keep the open door at 90° so it was under the awning in rainy weather.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #15

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
I have the awning on my Casita with the brackets. I've used the brackets twice, but really don't like how the camper door whacks into the arm.

I carry a couple of nail-shaped tent pegs that I use to pin the arms into the ground. I extend the awning fully and then adjust the arms to give a good angle for rain runoff.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #16

Wayne...I found an easier - already supplied- way. The awning's pull strap? I slide it over to the door side when I'm through. I wrap it around the leg that goes to the Scamp. What's left over, I wrap it around my door handle and it's perfect! If the door is shut, I stuff the remainder of the strap into the slot on the leg.

Steely...not sure how your Casita door/awning is laid out. But on my Scamp 13', the door will open about 110 deg and come to rest against the leg of the awning when it's attached to the Scamp. Never been a problem for us.

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my awning deployed at a CG in Alabama.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1712.jpg  
Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Arthur
As you found out the awing wants to be pulled straight out / level. I always carried a folding step ladder mostly to deal with the 2500. With the tall 5er my trick was to slide the picnic to the side of the trailer. Unlock the cover and drop the legs to the ground. Then get up on the picnic table and pull the awning straight out until the rafters lock in place. When things are where you want them slide one end of the picnic table under the edge of the extended awning and tie the awning strap to the picnic table. When stowing the awning I get up on the ladder to lock the cover and swing the legs up. The 2500 will last a long time you just have to take your time with it.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning