Cell Phone Booster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Cell Phone Booster

I plan on getting a cell phone booster, and am wondering about what to look for, and any recommendations you all may have.

I want it all if I am not asking too much. I would like it to be portable, so I could use it in my car, my trailer, and in my home office (where reception is bad). I don't mind paying for quality either, something reliable, provides a strong signal, and is easy to set up in these different scenarios. I would prefer not to sacrifice signal for portability, but would a bit if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
You need to go slowly on this as there are a lot of variables to work with. Who is your current provider as we need to see what band(s) and mode you are on.
Wilson has one of the biggest and best known lines and has been around the cellular industry as long as I have.

801245 Wilson SOHO 50 dB Amplifier Dual Band on Sale, Free Shipping
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Registry
Mike, my provider is TELUS.
TELUS Mobility | At TELUS, we put YOU first.*|* TELUS Mobility

Not certain of the band they use. Is this what '4G LTE' is that my phone will use?
http://mobility.telus.com/en/AB/Canada/3Gplus.shtml
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Registry
BTW, that kit you listed does seem to have most of what I need. I do need to digest the intricacies of it yet though. Would I not need a 4G kit? Lots to learn it seems.

edit: I see that site does list by Service Provider. Any thoughts on these ones for the TELUS network>
http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/14-t...?sort=alphaasc
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have bought other stuff from wpsantennas com with good results.

Cherie and Chris like this one, said ....
It automatically resets as we’re in motion and changing towers.

Top Signal 55 TS122551 Cell Phone Booster Vehicle Kit
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks for chiming in Ken. Its a bit late here so will do some checking tomorrow. After I saw Telus then I noted that you are in Canada.

Telus Mobility Repeater Amplifier Frequency Information
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Texas
Jim, I think I will stop here and let you contact them directly and ask questions for your best needs. I was with cellular in it infancy with the Star-Tac and every year in Vegas we would always see the Wilson Company and their products. 4G is a technology as is HSPA(3G) or LTE. I was fortunate enough to be here in Dallas and was the rep for MetroPCS who launched the first LTE in the US. To the point these refer to methods of operations that increase data transfer rates, use different frequency bands and methodologies in switching and communicating. If you roam into the US your carrier partner may not offer data or internet to you (if there is any or only work on one band). Some systems require you actually connect an antenna via a cable and others re-radiate via air coupling. To get to the nitty gritty the radios in the US are built to conform to emisson standards of the FCC. This prevents interference to other radio spectrum users. The Candian Gov't has an equivalent department called Industry Canada and I am sure any transmitting device must be approved by your agency. Perhaps they have class exemptions or reciprocity for FCC approved devices? Therefore I'm sure if you contact Wilson or the other company that Jim referred to they can hook you up. If you want we can discuss more via PM as I am retired now since 2011- things change and I dont want to steer you wrong.

http://www.watchlistnews.com/2013/07...n-electronics/
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Therefore I'm sure if you contact Wilson or the other company that Jim referred to they can hook you up.
Thanks Mike, that is a good idea. I am sure they have the technical knowledge to steer me in the right direction. It looks like they are a good reputable company, and that is good enough for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I have one from Wilson Electronics out of Utah and it was $165 shipped to Blaine where I picked it up. Works extremely well.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #10

Registry
One the advice from Wilson I just purchased this one.
MobilePro Bundle1, +45dB 3G wireless booster w/ home extras - 801241-H

I asked about 4G, and the only one available for this type application is the cradle which I was not too keen on. They do have the 4G ones for buildings, and do plan on having one like the one I bought in the next year, they are just playing catch-up with technology.

I will report back once I get to use it. I know out at our rec property reception is poor to nothing, with nothing being the most common, but just up the hill less than a half mile away we get great reception. This will be a good test for it. Plus, in my office I only get 1-2 bars, and sometimes drop calls, and get a few notices that I have voicemail, but the phone never rang.