ceramic tile counter and back splash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
has anyone ever put in a ceramic tile counter top and back splash in their trailer?? want to do it but wondering about flex??
Robert W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't have a hard answere for you, but i would think it may not work. Personally i would not try it for the reason you gave.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Laminate or solid surface is most often done.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Its been done. Heather's Traveleze has a tile backsplash. She hasn't posted since before the crash.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Well maybe not a back splash, but counter top. Should not flex much. Don't use this as a camper. Taking out sink, would like to tile counter top?? Keeping stove in, don't use water hookups. Use a table top water bubbler hot water or cold at press of button Thinking of putting in Pergo floor/?
Robert W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I've seen cork, granite, steel, diamond plate laminate and tile.

Link to examples of what others have done - Interiors
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I wouldn't worry about flex on the countertop; you would need to put a particle board or plywood backer under the tile, and that should provide the needed stability for the countertop. Backsplash . . . If it was a short, 4" tall row on its own plywood backer with silicone caulk joining it to the counter top I think that'd be fine.

Flex and cracking is one thing, but weight is another concern. Tiling the kitchen means basically gluing a bunch of thin but heavy rocks to the countertop and wall on one side of your trailer. Might not be the best thing for tow weight or trailer stability.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I'm with Peter on this one. Most of the weight on our rigs is on the curb side so adding to the road side may not be as big an issue for side-to-side weight, but it will be a not-insignificant bump to the overall weight. Depends how close you are to your tow limit, and that could also eliminate some potential buyers when it comes to resale.
Bet it would look great, though.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The amount of ceramic tile needed for a Scamp counter-top would not be a serious addition of weight, to my mind.

I have considered it myself, and may go ahead and install it when I get some home remodeling finished.

What I would do is use silicon RTV to adhere it to the existing counter top and back splash. Then instead of portland based grout, I would use kitchen/bath caulk between the tile. I have had excellent results with DAP Alex Plus brand. I'm sure there are other equivalent brands that would also do the job.

This should give you the needed resiliency that is not necessary in a home.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #10

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
And just another opinion....
Those little 1" square tiles that come in sheets (usually 1 sq. ft.) might be less prone to popping off in case there is flex. And they would be in keeping with the scale of the trailer. Small and cute.
Good luck, keep us posted!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Well maybe not a back splash, but counter top. Should not flex much. Don't use this as a camper. Taking out sink, would like to tile counter top?? Keeping stove in, don't use water hookups. Use a table top water bubbler hot water or cold at press of button [b]Thinking of putting in Pergo floor/?
I put Pergo on the floor of my 13' Scamp. Came out fantastic. Did the entire floor. Easy to do and looks great. The original carpet was still in the trailer and it just dated it. I don't remember what the cost was, but it is cheap. Just take your time and refuse to be in a hurry. Nice part about it is that if you mess up somewhere, just chuck the piece out and cut a new one.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Well maybe not a back splash, but counter top. Should not flex much. Don't use this as a camper. Taking out sink, would like to tile counter top?? Keeping stove in, don't use water hookups. Use a table top water bubbler hot water or cold at press of button Thinking of putting in Pergo floor/?
What is a table top water bubbler?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Like this maybe? about 1-3/4 inch in diameter.

Name:   L309618a.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  11.3 KB

I have one on top of the refrigerator.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Table Top Water Bubbler= Hot & Cold Bottled Water Dispenser.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I put Pergo on the floor of my 13' Scamp. Came out fantastic. Did the entire floor. Easy to do and looks great. The original carpet was still in the trailer and it just dated it. I don't remember what the cost was, but it is cheap. Just take your time and refuse to be in a hurry. Nice part about it is that if you mess up somewhere, just chuck the piece out and cut a new one.
I like the idea of Pergo floors in our 5er. Lynne's not so sure, but since (at the rate I'm going now I have the loft done) I have something like five years of project ideas in queue for the trailer, I can wait on Pergo floors.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote