Chalk Paint on Interior Cabinets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Chalk Paint on Interior Cabinets?

Has anyone tried using chalk paint on the fiberglass interior cabinets of the Scamps, etc.?
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Just curious, what is the effect you are going for?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm guessing 'chalk board' is black?
So, your cupboards become black holes and you can't see anything in them?
I'd go with white enamel.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm guessing 'chalk board' is black?
So, your cupboards become black holes and you can't see anything in them?
I'd go with white enamel.
Chalk paint, from what I gather, provides a method to make a surface look old or easy to artificially weather or age. It's not black, it's a chalky surface. Can't see the value, so I'm curious.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
From Benjamin Moore: Chalkboard Paint, available in any color, lets you turn virtually any interior surface into an erasable chalkboard.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't know if "chalk" paint is the same as "chalkboard" paint, but I have some experience with the latter. It's hard to clean- like flat paint only worse- so I'd use it sparingly. Paint one door as a place to write an "inspirational quote of the week" or some such. For the rest, and especially the fiberglass, I'd want something glossy and wipeable.

A Google site search on "paint fiberglass cabinets" should bring up some good information about what products others have used and, especially, how the fiberglass was prepped and primed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Florida
Chalk Paint

Thanks for all the replies!

For those unfamiliar with chalk paint, it is different from "chalkboard" paint. It's waterbased paint with calcium carbonate added. It is usually topped with a wax of some sort to make it waterproof and give an aged look.

It gives a chalky finish, like what you see when you look at a piece of colored chalk. It can be used on most surfaces without priming and, combined with other techniques, can turn that surface into an aged wood look. It can be any color.

My goal is to give the fiberglass cabinets a more shabby chic style.

Sort of part of my beach cottage idea...

I just wondered if anyone had tried using this painting technique on the interior fiberglass features and if it worked.

Obviously this falls more under the category of "glamping" instead of restoring!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
No problem to "Be the first". Sounds like you know the effect you are going after, which would be interesting (in a good way).

If you decide to try it, might want to start in a small, inconspicuous area (like the top side of the benches, under the cushions). Get your technique down, then go for it.

By the way, the penalty for even asking here is that everyone will expect both before and after photos, at least if it works. Also plan to inform of the process involved.

Good luck!
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You might get the same effect by painting with a flat paint. The problem I see (perhaps) in painting the cabinets, is getting scuffed up. Then you're liable to end up with "shabby," rather than "chic." It's not my trailer, but I'd go for that look on the cabinet doors, not the cabinets. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Florida
Chalk Paint

Donna, you make a good point.

Lyle, I'm going to give it a shot on a hidden location and see what happens... Maybe I'll start a trend!

As for photos, I've taken some befores but they're with my cheapo phone...
Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
My experience is with painting fiberglass boats and cars. It paints well IF it is prepared properly. Fiberglass has a smooth surface that paint, of any kind, doesn't adhere well too. It has to be fine sanded. A fiberglass primer helps the paint to stay on. The dust produced from sanding fiberglass is quite toxic. You should use a respirator and wet wipe all surfaces to remove settled dust. Remove all you soft items, cushions, bedding, mattress etc. before sanding. Open all doors and windows when sanding and painting as the solvent vapors are toxic too.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #12

Florida
Chalk Paint

Thanks Mike for the input... If I sand it, I will definitely use protection.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #13

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Thank you - I've learned of a new product! "Chalk-paint" huh? Sounds interesting. I look forward to a picture. Might it be hard to clean in a trailer?

So far as painting fiberglass cabinets, I avoid it as much as possible. I did paint the inside of ours with acrylic to clean them up and coat over some rough spots. But if the outside surface is in good shape I'd leave it alone - too much prep and once it's done is too late to change your mind. Someone suggested achieving the same effect painting the doors which sounds way easier and easier to change if it doesn't work out. I plan to paint our old fake "mahogany" ones with something brighter, at some point. But probably I'll use a paint that is easy to wash.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Name: John & Lana
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17LD
California
Hi Tonnie,
Look on Pinterest and search for Chalk Painting Cabinet Doors Mrs. Padilly. She shows step-by-step how to paint trailer cabinets with chalk paint. She has many other decorating ideas she has used in her trailer. The cabinets are definitely on my wish list.
The Norconians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #15

Florida
Chalk Paint

Thanks for the input!

I looked up Mrs. Padilly's glamping makeover of her Casita. Lovely!

She also just painted the wood cabinet doors...

Sounds like I just need to do some experimenting before I decide whether to paint the fiberglass portions. Unfortunately, mine are not in great shape. Extra holes, places where the surfaces are chipped, hardened glue where P.O. attached plastic geese... I'll definitely be painting the cabinet doors. I need to make new ones, the old ones are too splayed.

I'll figure something out... Still contemplating possible solutions!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #16

Florida
Hi Randy,

When you say you painted cabinet interiors with acrylic, are you talking about on a fiberglass surface? Or the ensolite inside?

Thanks!
Tonnie
Old 01-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp13
Florida
How did the chalk painting go?

Hi Tonnie,

I am a new Scamp 13 owner and am also considering painting (just the cabinet faces) with Rustoleum Chalk paint, then applying clear wax.

Have you attempted yet? There seems to be some debate as to whether clear wax or clear poly sealer is best. The wax lets the chalk paints "shabby chic" finish keep its truer color, but I'm hearing the poly sealer is more protective.

Let me know what you've discovered! Would love pics too!

Karen
KarenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #18

Florida
Chalk Paint

Hi Karen!

I'm still debating what to do about the cabinets and doors. My main goal is to help the fiberglass look more like furniture. So, I'm going to try it on some inconspicuous space to see the results.

Since I've not even used chalk paint before, I have no idea which is the best product to use on top. On the face of it, I would think poly would be the most durable. However, I used poly over paint that I used on cabinet doors in a previous camper and it yellowed.

So, this is all a grand experiment!

Please let me know what you end up doing and I'll let you know what I end up doing and we'll compare notes...
Old 07-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Has anyone tried using chalk paint on the fiberglass interior cabinets of the Scamps, etc.?
I used chalk paint on my formica countertops in our 5500. Once it was dry, I coated it with a water based clear varathane. So far it seems to be tough as nails. I am considering doing the same to my fiberglass sink in the washroom. The original fiberglass isn't in the best shape. Gotta do some research.
BraddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint