Changing from a Ice-Box to 3 or 2-way Refrigerator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I've stayed with the ice box so far but I bought a 5-day cooler to bring along extra ice. I'll put a couple of blocks in it and then store it under the trailer (bought one that fit on purpose.) As long as I only open it when I need the new ice block, it will hold my blocks very well. Solved the problem of not being able to find block ice- except for the weight I'm stuck with when bringing it from home. It doesn't work as well if I keep food that I want to have access to in the cooler- then it gets opened too often.
Bobbie, that's a very neat idea! It certainly would extend a person's ability to stay camping longer.

It might be better nowadays, but a few years back we found it difficult to find and buy block ice. Sometimes, in rural areas, the only "block" ice was ice cubes froze into a block...and sold as block ice! It seemed to melt real fast.

Thank you Bobbie,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That's why I did it, Bill. I could never find block ice on the road, and after 2-3 days my initial 20 lbs would be gone and I had to resort to cubes. I can put two 10 lb blocks in the cooler, plus any frozen foods that I don't want for a few days, and keep it out of the sun.

Someone did a cool replacement of the icebox with a slide-out cooler inside the trailer, so you might look at that, too. Raising the lid keeps the cold in unlike opening the icebox door.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
That's why I did it, Bill. I could never find block ice on the road, and after 2-3 days my initial 20 lbs would be gone and I had to resort to cubes. I can put two 10 lb blocks in the cooler, plus any frozen foods that I don't want for a few days, and keep it out of the sun.

Someone did a cool replacement of the icebox with a slide-out cooler inside the trailer, so you might look at that, too. Raising the lid keeps the cold in unlike opening the icebox door.
Bobbie, I'll have to look up that modification. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a new fridge, sonce I have several good coolers on hand.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #24

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Not sure if this is helpful, but when I brought home the Dolphin there was no fridge. There was a big hole with a vent at the back and an outlet under the counter. The original fridge was an RM211. I picked one up used for $150. I had it installed at the rv place. He had to redo the propane and he ran new wiring with a gfi outlet, so that should be comparable to installing from scratch. It cost $400 for the install.
This fridge is 3 way. I think it's great, I can put it on shore power to cool down before we leave, switch it battery powered while we drive, then if need be flip it to propane when we get where we're going.
Just food for thought.
Sandy
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #25

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Sorry, just had a look at the receipt and the $400 included a part that was needed for the fridge, it was $115, so the actual install was only about $285.
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I've stayed with the ice box so far but I bought a 5-day cooler to bring along extra ice. I'll put a couple of blocks in it and then store it under the trailer (bought one that fit on purpose.) As long as I only open it when I need the new ice block, it will hold my blocks very well. Solved the problem of not being able to find block ice- except for the weight I'm stuck with when bringing it from home. It doesn't work as well if I keep food that I want to have access to in the cooler- then it gets opened too often.
Very good. However there's a couple places at least that you could into trouble with that arrangement. Yellow Stone NP and Big Bend NP require that all coolers be place inside and out of sight. The bears in Yellow Stone andJavalienas in Big Bend. Both animals know a cooler when they see it and assume there's food inside.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #27

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The bears in Yellow Stone and Javalienas in Big Bend. Both animals know a cooler when they see it and assume there's food inside.
Ha! We never could find a bear at Yellow Stone, but, several times at Big Bend, had to drive off packs of Javalienas, that were tearing up tents to get at the coolers inside the tents!

Nasty little critters!

Bill
Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In bear country, cooler goes in vehicle, not trailer. A determined bear could break into either, so my thinking is (1) vehicle with windows closed is better sealed against odors, (2) vehicle has better insurance & more easily repaired/replaced, and (3) we're not in there!! No food of any kind in our bedroom (=trailer).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't know about the specific camper you are interested in but Scamp offers an ice box or 3 way fridge of the same size as options. Ice box costs $115 and according to the Scamp store fits same location as this $570 3 way fridge Appliances : Dometic RM2193 (Replaces RM2202) Refrigerator

You can certainly beat the new price of that 3 way by purchase of used. I would also note that a member posted about adding extra insulation around ice box when installing really helped the ice last longer.

I use plastic cat litter containers in the cooler. They provide block ice for the first couple or three days. Water from home to refill drinking water jug when they melt. And have a mouth wide enough to pour cube ice into. No melt water in cooler either.

Also use a separate cooler for drinks and snacks that need to keep cool such as chocolate or fruit. Avoids having to open the main one with all the perishable food as often.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #30

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In bear country, cooler goes in vehicle, not trailer. A determined bear could break into either, so my thinking is (1) vehicle with windows closed is better sealed against odors, (2) vehicle has better insurance & more easily repaired/replaced, and (3) we're not in there!! No food of any kind in our bedroom (=trailer).
Sandy, Byron, & Jon, Thank you for your comments!

I was trying to buy a 1973 hunter Compact l or ll. However, the very inconsiderate seller refused to accept half what he was asking for the trailer. Some people!

What does the Federal Parks do now about people who are traveling on motorcycles and tent camping in bear and/or javaliena country?

Years ago, when traveling in Canada on a motorcycle, and sleeping in a small tent, I thought is was a joke about the Bear Warning signs in campgrounds. Untill I took a good look at the Fort like building that campers were taking their trash to each evening!

I stopped eating in the tent!

Bill
Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Sandy, Byron, & Jon, Thank you for your comments!

I was trying to buy a 1973 hunter Compact l or ll. However, the very inconsiderate seller refused to accept half what he was asking for the trailer. Some people! <_<

What does the Federal Parks do now about people who are traveling on motorcycles and tent camping in bear and/or javaliena country?

Years ago, when traveling in Canada on a motorcycle, and sleeping in a small tent, I thought is was a joke about the Bear Warning signs in campgrounds. Untill I took a good look at the Fort like building that campers were taking their trash to each evening!

I stopped eating in the tent!

Bill
BIg Bend and Yellowstone provide bear proof boxes firmly attached to the ground to put your stuff in. Several other National Parks also have the Bear proof boxes. In Big Bend the Park Ranger came around and made people put their coolers inside the bear boxes, followed by the campground host to make sure it was done.

When traveling in country where large animals such as bears can be a problem change your food to food that doesn't have much odor. If bear boxes are there use them, if not hide your coolers so that they can not be recognized as coolers by shape or color or totally out of site in a auto trunk. Read and understand the campground rules, they're meant to protect you and yours.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Trunk that Byron suggests is a good choice. Bears can grip with claws and pull down with enough force to open a car door. Can't pull up.

Motorcycle camping. Wow suddenly realized how long its been since I did that. We carried a nylon bag with a rope. Toss the rope over a high branch, attach bag with food and pull up BUT not all the way to the branch. Goal was to have bag of food hanging too far under branch for little tree climbers (raccons, squirrels) but too high for bears. End of rope was tied off to another branch as high as I could reach.

Did the same thing when backpacking. Her is a link with some good suggested ways of handling food in bear country.
Outdoor Action Guide to Bear Proofing your Campsite

It always made more sense to me to tie the free end of the rope up high. I'm a bear, I smell something good up there, what I'm probably going to do is stand up against the tree to sniff. No point in having the rope end where the bear might be standing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator