changing sink trap-1994 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: jesse
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 13
Colorado
changing sink trap-1994 Scamp

Hello, I've read posts that state to turn the old sink trap counter clockwise to remove the sink trap but my entire sink drain turns and nothing is getting loose or coming off. I tried holding the sink drain with a vise grip but maybe I'm not strong enough. Any help would be appreciated..jesse
jessesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesouza View Post
Hello, I've read posts that state to turn the old sink trap counter clockwise to remove the sink trap but my entire sink drain turns and nothing is getting loose or coming off. I tried holding the sink drain with a vise grip but maybe I'm not strong enough. Any help would be appreciated..jesse
If it is the typical RV drain trap then the shell unscrews from the drain.
Got A picture?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

Colorado
sink trap replacement

Thanks for the replay, here is the old broken trap, the sink from above, and the new part from Scamp. I put them in as attachments, if you don't see them, let me know...jesse
Attached Thumbnails
sinktrap 001.jpg   sinktrap 002.jpg  

sinktrap 003.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I removed the old trap from my 23 year old Scamp in July and I'm sure it was the original. Sorry, but for me it unscrewed pretty easily from the drain part in the sink. Is it possible you're turning the wrong direction and now have loosened the drain from the sink? Can you screw it back in, then try turning the trap the opposite direction? Can you look inside the new trap and tell which direction the threads are running?

BTW: Scamp uses the same trap that's used in tent trailers. Camping World didn't know what I was talking about. I used JB Weld to put it back together and it's never coming apart! In my case the two halfs of the trap came apart, the nipple was fine.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the reply, I did check the new trap, I looks like it tightens to the right and I am trying to remove the old one turning to the left. The original owner may have replaced the trap before and used some sort of glue, the bottom with the broken hose attachment looks like it was glued but failed. I'll keep trying...jesse
Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Maybe instead of glue, they used some plumbers putty and it's hardened? Is it possible to squart some sort of solvent into the area? You may have better luck if you take the sink out and soak the trap area....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

Colorado
Donna D. you are a genius! Thank you Thank you, taking out the sink was the trick. Yes there was a bunch of old hardened putty but I had much better leverage with the sink out. Guess I was afraid to do it at first but it made the job so much easier... Now I'll put the new trap on. I may get a different hose, the one connected looked like a cut off piece of garden hose which may have put stress on the drain causing it to break off. Thank you again!!..jesse
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

You're welcome Jesse. BTW: Scamp does use reinforced hose for discharge. I too am going to need to change the hoses in my trailer, those suckers are hard as bricks after all this time. Looks like the sink hose to the gray water tank goes through the top... that means dropping the gray water tank down... sigh...

Since you've got the sink out, I'd suggest cleaning and shining it up with Bar Keepers Friend. Now's the time to do it!

Good luck
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Colorado
Thanks, I'll get some bar keepers friend this week. The new sink trap went on without a problem. The putty I used states it is supposed to stay plyable, we'll see in 10 more years!...good night..jesse
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
What kind of putty did you use? I had the exact thing happen to my sink trap in my 94 Scamp. The trap came out easily enough, but now I'm puttin the new one on. Should I use putty to attach th trap to the sink?
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke42 View Post
What kind of putty did you use? I had the exact thing happen to my sink trap in my 94 Scamp. The trap came out easily enough, but now I'm puttin the new one on. Should I use putty to attach th trap to the sink?
I didn't use putty, I used teflon tape. YMMV
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

Colorado
I did use putty. It's a little plastic tub of Master Plumber, Plumber Putty. I didn't have to use much, I just put a bit between the trap and sink and all is holding
well. I don't attach the hose until I land at the camp site. I think I need
a new hose, the one that's on it is thick and I think it may have been
responsible for breaking the sink trap as the scamp bounced around on dirt
roads....jesse
Old 10-09-2023, 05:08 AM   #13

Name: Lauretta
Trailer: Gulf Stream
MI
I had same issue. I put boiling water in a bowl, and placed bowl under sink and over the threaded part of drain and nut. In under 5 minutes the putty was soft enough I could almost loosen the nut by hand.
RettaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp