Charging Battery from TV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Crazy idea off the back bumper of trailer.

A motorcycle swing arm with a tire. A pulley, and an alternator mounted on rear bumper. or maybe on driver side of trailer tucked in tight but still be able for you to so you can see it.

If you remember the old commercials where they drove a test car around the track with this funky extra bicycle looking wheel mounted outside the car on an arm with measuring devices mounted to it; you'll be able to picture what I'm talking about.

Better yet might be able to rig up pulley mounted to back of trailer tire somehow if you find a fabricator to make it up for you, little more complicated though with less room to work with.

For my Unimog I'm considering a squirrel cage like fan mounted horizontal to the cab of my camper that gets driven by wind resistance when driving. Not sure if I will drive an alternator or drive an old 12v drill converted to use as a 12v generator. Figure my Unimog's Aerodynamics are so bad the additional drag loss wont affect a thing power wise. A nice TV and trailer your losses from wind resistance may make it not worth it. Matters if the added power to drive from the wind resistance is more than the added power it would take to drive a second alternator

Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #16

What about battery isolators? Is this what they are not for? Are they not for two battery charging off one alternator. Just not sure their exact function.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What about battery isolators?
Just not sure their exact function.
As I understand it, Battery isolators allow the charge to go into both batteries when the tow vehicle is running, but block the trailer from draining the [b]tow vehicle's battery when it is not (running).
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #18

From THIS ARTICLE it appears you and I are correct. it will isolate the batteries not allowing main to be discharged by aux. battery (trailer in this case) and it will throw a switch allowing to charge ONLY the Aux. battery once the main is up to snuff.

You'll need to connect to the Aux. battery with large sized battery cable wire (one or two gauge I suspect) so you dont loose charging power to the Aux battery due to resistance since its a good distance apart. IMHO I would use welding cable connectors between vehicle and trailer battery to avoid resistance loss there too. Thats up to a couple hundred dollars in lage wire (cable) alone.

I may be wrong on the wire gauge requirment.

If your a healthy indivitual you could cut wayyy down on the amount of large gauge wire you have to purchase if you are willing to take battery out of trailer (again welding cable connectors would make this easy) and reinstall it in the TV closer to the battery isolater. MAKE SURE BATTERY IS SECURE. An object even ligher than a battery in a roll over accident will KILL a person in the vehicle.

Cans of paint have been known to kill. BTW this saftey warning would make a good thread of its own.

Tags
battery