Charging Eggmeons battery from the tug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
So with the dc cigarette light plug, wire and battery clamps, can I run this straight through the tug to the trailer battery to charge while under tow? Would certainly be easier than the battery isolater etc. hooked up to the alternator and all the rest wouldn't it? Or am I just having a nice dream.
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

MUCH too whimpy a system with that wiring in the accessory system.

You should be using 10 (Or better) guage stuff. Simply run from car battery with hefty wire, put an inline fuse in, tie the wire off at handy unhot places under the tug and to a proper connector at the car and pigtail.

Mine does not have an isolator, I just remember to unplug the tug when I get set up.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler
You dont have to use an isolator. I simple starter solenoid will do the trick. So when your car is running the solenoid will be closed allowing the cars alternator to charge the battery. When ignition is off the solenoid is open. Should have a fuse coming off the solenoid (hot)plus a diode from the solenoids trigger to ground to stop spikes from killing your cars computer. Very easy.
The solenoid is about $20.
10 guage wire is about $20
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
I won't ask for a picture , No, I was just curious cause I have all this extra useless spaghetti from the Cosco set up(or lack of set up). Thought maybe I could just use the plug from the costco set up and run it straight back to the battery for under tow trickle charging as I'm not thinking of mounting the panels to the roof. (Have that big A/C unit up there) Thanks, Paddy
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery