Cheap cushions by stapling fabric on plywood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Cheap cushions by stapling fabric on plywood

Cutting a piece of 1/4" plywood smaller than cushions and stapling fabric to it. Cheap way to redo cushions found here.

Anybody tried it?
Any comments?

Pro job's over 1000$ with new foam for my Boler. I'm seriously tempted!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I may use this method for a project I have in mind for my Scamp. One problem is doing the seat backs, our eggs are not straight with 90 degree angles. Would take some modifying, perhaps just throw pillows for the backs.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
When my wife and i were looking for covers... My wife called our local adult education center... They had an upholstery class... We contacted them and they had a number of students looking for a project to practice on
We visited and made a deal w/ school & the student
For a donation and very small fee we got cushion covers/ matching curtains and a porta potty cover
( per the instructor that was the first time anyone has upholstered a toilet)
Something you might want to look into.... Oh and by the way the quality of work was fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Look in the wanted section under classified... Someone is looking for same and the last response is from a person with a set of covers at no charge... Might be worth contacting them if they are still available

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you do the plywood-and-staples approach, I'd trim out the bottom in some way to make sure the staples don't scratch up the gelcoat on the benches.

Another option is to order just the covers from Scamp. Pretty reasonable compared to custom work, well-finished with welting all around, fabric is durable if not high style. They're available in chestnut brown, slate blue, and forest green.

They ought to fit a Boler... perhaps someone out there can confirm or contradict?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Had not thought about the curve of the back cushions...

Upholstery school is 2 hours away and they take no outside projects, I checked!

Might contact Scamp to see if the covers fit and if the prices are reasonable.

Thanks! Please keep the ideas coming!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
Had not thought about the curve of the back cushions...

Upholstery school is 2 hours away and they take no outside projects, I checked!

Might contact Scamp to see if the covers fit and if the prices are reasonable.

Thanks! Please keep the ideas coming!
Not sure if they would fit a Boler, but we ordered the green ones last summer and LOVE them. They are so neutral that anything can go with them. The fabric is durable and they didn't seem too expensive to me at $390 for a full set of seven cushion covers (does the sofa, bunk, banana cushion, seat and back for each of the dinette benches). The cost is $625 if you want the foam included. http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...et-fabric.htmlThey were kinda hard to put on, but I'm so glad we ordered them. Prior to the Scamp, we had purchased a vintage camper and I recovered all the cushions for it. I will probably never do that again!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
That is similar to what I did in my 72 Scamp. I cut the original foam cushions to fit my needs, bought nice bed sheets at my local thrift store, cut the plywood, and wrapped them up like Christmas presents. I removed the fiberglass benches and replaced them with wood frames. I used 3/4" ply, since they needed to be supportive. I stapled the fabric to the undersides, and then used strips of plywood to Really hold the fabric and hold the removable cushions in place within their open frames. I hope that makes sense. If I were putting these down on fiberglass, I would use 3/8 or 1/2" ply for better staple hold, and tape over the staples to prevent scratching. Using this method, be sure to round over the plywood edges or set it back far enough to prevent the fabric from tearing on the edge.

All in all, a very inexpensive and easy way to make DIY cushions. Although not as nice as professionally made ones with tough fabric, I won't mind doing mine over again for 2 dollars spent at the thrift store and a little bit of labor.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #9

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
How about using the technique that you use to recover chair seats? Take the old plywood that is the right size and shape, wrap quilt batting around it and staple to the back, then wrap your fabric around it and stapled to the back. To cover your staples on the back side, glue some sort of trim or seam tape, or even just a folded piece of fabric. If you don't already own one you will want to buy or borrow an electric staple gun for this project, trust me. The only trick to it is to pull the batting, and then the fabric, with the same amount of tension before you staple, all the way around.