Cheapest Place to Buy Front Window seal with locking strip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
When I replaced the seals on the front and rear window on my Scamp the local glass shop loaned me their tool which turned out to be to large.
I ended up using a flat blade screw driver to press the lock strip in and bottle of Armour All to lubricate the lock strip.
It was cheaper than buying a tool and not very difficult.
John

Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #16

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Yeah John, I've replaced several P/U rear windows using 1/4" clothesline rope & lotsa soap, & a screwdriver for the locking strip. I wuz a lot younger then & didn't have an arthritic shoulder or hands. After examining the windows on the Scamp I 'bit the bullet' & used a goodly portion of my available discretionary fund to pay the local glass shop to remove the old gasket/window & replace with the new stuff from Scamp. That's another reason this 're-build' is takin' so long, lack of $$ . Some of the stuff I need to do requires buying materials before it gets done so I kinda hafta look for inexpensive stuff that ain't 'cheap' if ya know what I mean

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Hey everyone. It looks like I'm going to have to replace my seals too this year because of some leakage. Did anyone determine if the seals from Scamp were ok to use on a boler. I have a 75 13'.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #18

Manitoba
Does anyone have any pics of the seal with the lockstrip built in? Does it install basically the same way?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #19

Manitoba
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I found a place here in Winnipeg that sells the exact seal for the front and back boler windows. Speed Auto Glass on St. James st. They gave me a sample to take home and measure up with my existing seal but it looks pretty good so far. It is the seal with the locking strip attached and I was quoted $1.75 a foot which is cheaper than Scamp. I'm heading out to the cabin this weekend to make sure it fits and measure the length I'm gonna need for both windows. Things are looking up.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 1980 Burro
JCWhitney has several types in 15ft lengths for less.
Fairchild Industries WINDOW WEATHERSTRIPS FOR ALL VEHICLES - JCWhitney
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #21

Manitoba
Thanks for the link but I think I'm going to stick with Speedy. Sorry the first post should say speedy, somehow I missed a "Y". It looks like its only a few dollar difference.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
that price doesn't seem out of line to me. plus,,, if no one buys parts,,,eventualy they won't sell parts,,,and then nobody CAN buy parts... sometimes its a good thing to support those that support us.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #23

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
bkboler, does that place have a site to do online orders? or they just a local place that does business out a store front?

if they don't do online orders, can you ask them if they'll ship to ontario next time your in? or if they'll ship at all?

thanks for the info Brian
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #24

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
bkboler, does that place have a site to do online orders? or they just a local place that does business out a store front?

if they don't do online orders, can you ask them if they'll ship to ontario next time your in? or if they'll ship at all?

thanks for the info Brian
No worries Joel, I will be there on Monday or Tuesday and I'll see what they can do. Maybe they can tell me where they get it from. Speedy Auto Glass is just a typical shop that replaces windows on vehicles.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #25

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
sorry brian, didn't realize it was speedy auto glass. I just read speed glass or something. but maybe you have a part number? then I could just get it from the shop here? if they stock it?

appreciate your time,

Joel
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #26

Manitoba
Quote:
sorry brian, didn't realize it was speedy auto glass. I just read speed glass or something. but maybe you have a part number? then I could just get it from the shop here? if they stock it?

appreciate your time,

Joel
When I go next week I'll ask for a part number. I have a 2 inch piece to compare with the old seal but I think its the same except the new has the lockstrip attached. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Have a good weekend everyone!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #27

Manitoba
Quote:

appreciate your time,

Joel
Hi Joel
So I went to a wholesale supply company for windows and got a part number which is where Speedy gets theirs from and then called Speedy to match it up and its good.
The part number is 6200140.
Let me know how it goes.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #28

Manitoba
Just picked up 24 feet of the window seal and the new tinted back window. Can't wait to install it this weekend. I will replace the front window in the next couple of weeks. Now that I know how to add pics, I will start a new thread with my renos.